Menu

Vintage Latin?

d.g.

Has anyone found any good vintage Latin texts, primers, readers, etc. out there for the 3-8th grade? I'm specifically hoping for eBooks, preferably on Google Books but I also have Kindle for PC if necessary.

DS is only going into 2nd grade, but I likely won't have money for "extras" like Latin in the next few years. I'm hoping to find an introductory Latin course from a vintage text that I can adapt for use with my older DS. Especially since, if I find it now, I can start teaching myself before he starts and will be less likely to get left behind! :D

I'm off to bury myself in Google Books, now. If I find anything, I'll come back and post it. Otherwise, I'll have to hope someone here has some suggestions.

You might take a look at Herbert Nutting's Latin Primer and the book that follows, Nutting's First Latin Reader, both available on google books as free PDFs. They are also both available in new paperback on Amazon. If you're interested, definitely read the preface to each book - that explains the curriculum. (Note, this is NOT same as the Latin Primer by Martha Wilson.)

My dd started Nutting after GSWL but I decided I didn't like how it was organized, so we ended up switching to Henle after a few lessons. I am not aware of an answer key, though that was several months ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if something turned up in that time - try searching - particularly because the paperback was for sale on Amazon as though some school someplace had been using it. I'd love it if someone used Nutting, and if anyone finds an answer key, please post!!!

:)

ETA: for an introductory course, it's hard to beat GSWL)

Lol...I actually just finished downloading both Nutting's Latin Primer and First Latin Reader. I'm on the lookout for a key now.

Thanks!

(Btw...GSWL looks very interesting. I'm trying to find no-cost options because money is and probably will be VERY tight for the next several years, but if I can find it used, I'll probably try to pick it up.)

Lol...I actually just finished downloading both Nutting's Latin Primer and First Latin Reader. I'm on the lookout for a key now.

Thanks!

(Btw...GSWL looks very interesting. I'm trying to find no-cost options because money is and probably will be VERY tight for the next several years, but if I can find it used, I'll probably try to pick it up.)

Our library has GSWL, so you may want to check that. DD was around 9 when she did GSWL, in about three or four months, so that would require a library book to be renewed several times, but it's possible. It's worth hunting down.

And please do post if you find a Nutting key. I think there may have been one other poster here using Nutting, but I don't know whether they continued.

I'll have to look this over. At the very least, it might be good for me to self-teach. Thanks!

It's funny, but a couple of years ago, DH saved a bunch of money from his work/travel budget to buy me a Sony e-Reader for birthday/Christmas. I had NO IDEA what to do with the silly thing at the time, as I'm a definite real-book lover. Now, though, my Reader and Google Books have become my very best friends!

ETA: No luck so far on the Nutting key. I'll have to keep looking!

• 11 months later...