Menu

Tropical Traditions

Does anyone purchase from this company? They have free shipping thru tonight and since I'm trying to change our eating habits to "real food" I'm looking at the coconut oil. Help please! I want to replace my canola oil with something more healthy but I'm not sure what I'm doing. So I thought I'd ask some "real people" if they can help me with this real food thing. Thanks!

Yes, I have bought from them a couple times and both times I was very happy. Great customer service, great shipping and a great product. I ordered the coconut oil and love it. Matter of a fact, I need to order more. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I didn't look at the site, but just wanted to mention that I have bought coconut oil at the grocery store. It's a really good brand too. I don't know if all stores carry it, but it's on some shelves. It might be worth a look if you haven't already :).

Coconut oil is great. I haven't actually tried any of TT's products, though I have friends who have. I recommend the least processed, but it will have the most flavor, so if you are worried about how the flavors might change when cooking, you can go for more of a processed oil.

And just so you know, coconut oil (to me anyway) doesn't taste like the sweet coconut flavor most people think of, but it definitely has a flavor (unlike canola oil which has no flavor). I like the taste, but in certain things (like eggs) the rest of my family does not. None of us notice the flavor when used in baking.

I've purchased from them for about 10 years now - love their products and their customer service. I use their gold label virgin coconut oil for baking and things where I don't mind the coconut flavor and their expeller pressed for cooking when I don't want a coconut flavor. I've also started using their organic palm shortening for deep frying because it doesn't bubble up like the coconut oil does (I have overflowed my deep fryer by putting too many french fries in at once w/ the coconut oil).

I have ordered from them for years. They're great. Once a jar of oil arrived w/ a crack. What a mess! They practically hunted me down to make it right, lol. They were persistent, not pushy. They immediately sent another jar out (at no charge to me, of course) and gave me the choice of a free gift. Nice. :)

BTW, that was the only problem I ever had, and that was not their fault. That break happened in delivery.

Good stuff. Good company. :)

Interesting. I had an "incident" where I nearly burned my kitchen down with a pot of coconut oil. Oops. :confused: Maybe I'll try the palm oil. ;)

The palm shortening has been great (don't get the red stuff - I haven't tried that). I also will often use half palm shortening and half coconut oil in my baked goods - the palm shortening has more of the consistency of hydrogenated shortening w/o the transfats, so works well in cookies and muffins.