Menu

Prioritizing extracurricular activities - can you help me choose?

10yos:

*Piano - must

*Baseball (fall and spring) - must

*Basketball (winter, not demanding church league and great exercise)- must

*Science Olympiad Div B team (1 1/2 hr. week, 3 min. away) - must

*Math Olympiad Club - (meets with a math prof monthly on Sat. but 40 min. away) - maybe

*First Lego League - first year homeschooled group underwritten by college prof. All 9/10yo. 1 1/2 hr. a week and maybe more - 40 min away and during the travel time to my daughter's ballet

12yod:

* Piano - must

* Ballet 3x week plus performances/rehearsals - must

* Science Olympiad Div B team (1 1/2 hr. week, 3 min. away)- must

* Keepers at Home group - must

I'm thinking of eliminating the FLL bc of distance. Plus I have to take my daughter to ballet during that class. I've been looking for a FLL all summer though! Please tell me he will be able to get into learning Robotics in an older grade instead. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by LNC

My dc have done FLL for a few years (and one has moved on to FIRST.) The two things FLL provides are practice with the NXT and team work. Your ds are getting that teamwork practice from the science group and sports. I would buy him an NXT and a few books for it and call it a day. :001_smile:

(And your schedule looks perfectly fine to me, fwiw. Different families/kiddos can handle different levels of outside activities.)

We usually limit to two - with very few exceptions.

I wouldn't count piano, as that is mandatory for your dc's... And if Keepers at Home is mandatory as well, well - that's more a part of your curriculum than an extracurricular.

Extracurricular to me is something the KIDS want to do - not something the parent makes them do :)

What I've experienced is that if you make them chose the two they want to do the most, they will be more dedicated to them.

As for the sports - I never let mine play more than one sport at a time. I think it is just too much. That helps immensely. I know you say the basketball is easy to manage, but it is "one more thing" and takes time that could be spent elsewhere....

Thanks so much! I think we'll buy stuff from Lego education for Christmas. They also

have robotics classes at the Lego store. I wish I could carpool, I'm going to try to set up one for ballet!

Edited by LNC