Menu

How much do you keep?

I posted this on the General board (thank you to Ellie for responding!). Does anyone else have an opinion on if I should keep everything or not?

I am especially interested in what the rest of you do with your dc's work. I tried searching the boards for threads that address this but I must not be using the correct terms - I found nothing. Thanks again!

Are there any states that will want to see everything my child has done in school? We are going to be moving and not sure where yet. It could be AZ, PA, NC, OH -really anywhere at this point, even Canada!

So, I was going to sort through dd's work from last year (1st grade) and keep some and toss some. Or should I keep it all?

What do you guys do with your dc's work?

Do I need to keep it all until we move?

I just don't know what to do!! :willy_nilly:

TIA for any advice

I wouldn't keep it all. I keep tests and writing samples. If you aren't doing tests (after all it was just 1st grade :), you might keep a sample page here and there to show the concepts covered in each subject. I just try to have a good sampling. DD did geography this year and I picked out the best maps she drew. You can keep anything you want to remember or that they loved. I don't think there are any states that require you keep it all. Some may want to see samples to show skill levels though so keep that in mind as you choose.

I put mine in something like this. One per student per year.

I keep my paperwork for my umbrella. I keep the report card. I keep a sample of our journal/lesson plans.

I keep units/work from the beginning, middle, and end of the year. I either place it all in a binder, scan to a disk, or toss in a folder and wrap with a rubber band.

Eventually, they will be comb'ed together, but I am being a slacker! We have lots of photos to document as well.

I toss, sell, and give the rest away. :) I let the kids destroy the workbooks in the fire pit, LOL.

I just keep samples of all of my kids' work throughout the year.

I make up a detailed narrative for each of my kids at the end of the school year so we have a record of the work they have accomplished (this is more for us to look back on, rather than meeting any state homeschooling regulation.) The kids bring in their narratives and work samples for our end of the year evaluations.

We do portfolios. We keep everything until portfolio time. Then, for portfolios, I pick a few samples I like. The kids pick a few samples they like. I make sure there's examples of math, writing, etc. They all go into pretty plastic sleeves and into the big year's binder. Then we chuck out the rest into the recycling, including workbooks if we're finished with them.

We're only required to keep "a portfolio of materials." I can't say about the legalities, just that keeping everything, even for half a year, would make me crazy.

ETA: I just wanted to add that the reason I like this is that it requires virtually no planning on my part. I just mark the calendars with a "portfolio day." When we get there, we dredge everything out of the piles and sort through it to make our choices. I don't have to do anything organizational about it on a daily or even weekly basis. Keeping it simple.

Edited by farrarwilliams

I keep a sample page/lesson of each subject each month so there's a progression of work. I try to take pictures of field trips and other activities. I take pictures of larger projects then throw the project away after they start collecting dust (by then they've been forgotten).

I also take a picture on the first day of school and few through out the year.

The one thing I'm trying to remember is to keep a list of books read.

I put all this in a 3-ring binder and let my son decorate the cover.

No portfolio requirements where I am, so I just keep a little bit to show that we've been working in the last year.

If you're moving, I can't imagine any state requiring you to provide work done while not living in that state. The law applies to you while you live in the state, not retroactively. So if you move to a state that requires a portfolio, I would think you'd just need to start keeping one from that point on, correct?

My oldest is through 3rd grade, and I've kept nothing. I don't see a need to keep anything. I don't have to show anything to the school, and I am required to test annually. The annual tests are our record of progress thus far.

I do have pictures of some of our activities, but those aren't for documenting schoolwork. They are just fun memories.

I keep a sample page/lesson of each subject each month so there's a progression of work. I try to take pictures of field trips and other activities. I take pictures of larger projects then throw the project away after they start collecting dust (by then they've been forgotten).

I also take a picture on the first day of school and few through out the year.

The one thing I'm trying to remember is to keep a list of books read.

I put all this in a 3-ring binder .

Me too :)

If you're moving, I can't imagine any state requiring you to provide work done while not living in that state. The law applies to you while you live in the state, not retroactively. So if you move to a state that requires a portfolio, I would think you'd just need to start keeping one from that point on, correct?

My oldest is through 3rd grade, and I've kept nothing. I don't see a need to keep anything. I don't have to show anything to the school, and I am required to test annually. The annual tests are our record of progress thus far.

:iagree: I don't keep anything, I don't live in a state that requires anything, and I can't even imagine why I might need anything.

Has anyone really had legal problems, enrolling kids in school issues, custody problems, what ever that were solved because they were saving boxes of old school work???? (I am not talking about current year samples if you are required to show something to follow laws, I am talking older papers and moving.)

I did consider putting my kids in school about a year ago, and let me tell you, no one there cared what I thought about what my kids had done or where they should be placed. I can't imagine how they would have acted if I had brought in old tests or worksheets.

I also feel strongly about keeping our life simple, in fact it is one of the reasons we homeschool and boxes of old papers are keeping a mess (but then I hate when I get old things of mine, I mean a spelling test from last week is trash, a spelling test from 25 years ago suddenly takes on a whole life of its own, couldn't someone have just thrown it away then?).

Edited by Mallory

Thanks for easing my mind regarding the move - you guys are awesome!

I am a bit sentimental so I don't think I can trash it all. I like the idea of a portfolio. I already take pics of fieldtrips and projects, but a copy to go in the portfolio is a great idea!

Keeping samples from the beginning, middle, and end of the year is fantastic! So simple, but something I would not have come up with on my own. :001_smile:

I was told by my mentor to keep stuff that showed progress in each subject - about one page per month. Easy for things like handwriting.

For subjects that don't have workbooks (like OPGTR phonics and RS math), she said to copy the table of contents, and check off lessons completed, and on the first schoolday of each month, note the date on the appropriate line of the TOC so progress is obvious.

She also said to keep a running list of books that I read aloud, as well as books that the kids read.

Has anyone really had legal problems, enrolling kids in school issues, custody problems, what ever that were solved because they were saving boxes of old school work???? (I am not talking about current year samples if you are required to show something to follow laws, I am talking older papers and moving.)

?).

We live in SC, which is pretty relaxed as far as requirements. But I have heard of several people who have had the state come checking on them. In every case, it was due to either neighbors or relatives who were concerned that the children weren't being educated. In those cases, having workbooks, portfolios, etc. would show that the kids were actually learning something!

In every case, it was due to either neighbors or relatives who were concerned that the children weren't being educated. In those cases, having workbooks, portfolios, etc. would show that the kids were actually learning something!

Yeah, but that is still pretty hypothetical.

I mean what we are currently working on is clear- a half done math book, spelling book, or vocab book, science expiraments, and history projects scattered around around and so on.

Has anyone actually been helped out by having old workbooks or papers sitting in a box somewhere?

I am not going to clutter up my closets or attics (or my children's future closets and attics) because of this unfounded fear.

Has anyone actually been helped out by having old workbooks or papers sitting in a box somewhere?

I am not going to clutter up my closets or attics (or my children's future closets and attics) because of this unfounded fear.

:iagree: However, I am saving more samples from the high school years, although not as much as others that I have read about. I just can't imagine a busy college admissions staffer asking to see completed math assignments, etc. when he has thousands of applications to wade through. Since I haven't gone through the college application process yet, I hope I don't end up regretting my recycling habit. :001_huh: