Menu

Currclick question (printing related)

Mommamia

Find a cheaper printer on Craigslist?

Other than that, you can upload to a place like Office Max. I also sent some things to BestValueCopy.com. They have an offer for 200 free black and white pages or 50 free color pages (I may have the details a bit off). I don't know with shipping and all if it really is cheaper, but I think if you did one big bulk order with the free offer it might come out cheaper.

Someone here posted a link to this seller a while back and I've been purchasing ink on ebay ever since. The ink for my Canon is MUCH cheaper through ebay and now I'm printing off pages and pages of e-curriculum! I stock up on paper during the back to school sales and usually buy enough to last me through the year.

http://myworld.ebay.com/inkmarts&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID

ETA: The seller doesn't just sell ink for Canon printers.

I have a utility called FinePrint that reduces the amount of ink and/or the paper you use - ie by double-siding even if your printer doesn't support it. However, the free version prints a "watermark" at the bottom of every page and the paid version is something like $60. Minor irritation, but it has other nifty features like it can remove graphics before you print to save ink, too.

Also, I don't know what you're looking at buying, but for some eBook resources, you won't need to print every page. We're using Literature Pockets Nursery Rhymes (Evan Moor, bought on CurrClick) and love it, but I only print off the pages we need - not the ones that tell us HOW to do a craft, for example, or the table of contents. I originally bought History Pockets in hard copy and the eBook version is SO much more convenient because of this and because I can print multiples of any page I want.

Still - I haven't sprung for any HUGE, all-printed eBooks, like Math Mammoth, where the printing costs might be considerable. I did spend about $8 to print a copy of Charlotte Mason's Elementary Geography (public domain) at FedEx Kinko's.

We don't have a lot of inexpensive printing places here in Canada, that I know of, so - for example - when I bought Elemental Science, I paid extra for a printed copy plus delivery, because I knew I couldn't print it cheaper here. :-(

Did you know that some of Currclick's stuff can now be purchased as true books? Dh always tells me to "do the math" will it cost more or the same to print it myself. ;)

The other thing is I put pdf's right on our ipad and only print out the pages we need. So let's say I buy a book and it has an occasional worksheet in it. I only print out the worksheets as we need them. :D Saves heaps.

I just a got an $80 laser printer (it was on sale for $100, then got $25 off $100 with a coupon from Staples, but add tax back in and it comes to around $80). It's easy to find them for about that price every so often. I now have no problem printing off whatever. It is even a wireless printer and has auto-duplexing! Love that duplex feature. :D I'm also printing in "toner save" mode, which still looks way better than draft mode on the ink jet.

Find a cheaper printer on Craigslist?

Other than that, you can upload to a place like Office Max. I also sent some things to BestValueCopy.com. They have an offer for 200 free black and white pages or 50 free color pages (I may have the details a bit off). I don't know with shipping and all if it really is cheaper, but I think if you did one big bulk order with the free offer it might come out cheaper.

I have also used BestValueCopy.com. I printed about 150 color pages for our Apologia Lapbook. I paid only 9 cents a copy and $13.00 shipping. It still was way cheaper than local printing (we don't have a color printer!) I think for bulk orders, you can still save money. They also do binding, etc. if you're interested....

We have a laser printer we got for about $75. I get all our paper for under $.50/ream, including tax, at the back to school sales (right now we have about 7 reams). I get all my toner from online for about $17/5000 pages, and I always print on fast draft. That makes it INCREDIBLY cheap for me to print and I never have to worry about it. I hope to get as much of our curriculum in PDF format as possible for this reason, and because I can reuse it easily.

I just a got an $80 laser printer (it was on sale for $100, then got $25 off $100 with a coupon from Staples, but add tax back in and it comes to around $80). It's easy to find them for about that price every so often. I now have no problem printing off whatever. It is even a wireless printer and has auto-duplexing! Love that duplex feature. :D I'm also printing in "toner save" mode, which still looks way better than draft mode on the ink jet.

This is exactly what I did. The laser printer was my birthday present and now I print off Math Mammoth, SOTW activity pages, WWE workbook pages, Elemental Science e-books, plus lot of other extras from Curr CLick and the Scholastic $1 sales. Guilt free! It's been a great investment. The toner cartridge only cost about $20 than the full ink set for my Canon color printer, but I've only just had to replace it now after almost a year of use, compared to running out of one ink cartridge or another on my Canon every month or so. I still print in color on my Canon, but the bulk of everything else on the (Brother) laser printer.

Our Dell printer is nice and a color printer, but it is a total ink hog. I asked around here, and was told to look for a good workhorse printer. On the advice of the Hive, I bought a Brother printer. I can't remember which printer it is (it doesn't say on the front) but it takes TN-330 toner.

This printer is one that is often on sale at Office Max. I think I purchased it for around $60. And although the toner is a little pricey, it really is a workhorse printer. It prints a ton. I am on my third toner cartridge now, and I've had it at least 18 months. I print a ton, and the first 2 cartridges printed several reams of paper each. The current toner cartridge I purchased at the Business Costco. It's the TN-360 High Yield Toner Cartridge, and it was $47. I do not expect to need another toner cartridge for a few months and I'm currently printing a ton in preperation of the school year.

The only thing I don't like is that it is a black and white printer, so no color. That's not really a huge problem for us, though.

Just an FYI' date=' laser isn't the only way to go if you want to have a cheap to opperate printer. I have a Brother and have found tht any of them that take LC-51 or LC-61 ink are dirt cheap to use if you buy generic ink on ebay or amazon (it's usually $1 or less a cartridge that way) and you get to print in color if you wish (my kids LOVE color ;) ).[/quote']

I will have to check that out! I love color, too!