Menu

WWYD (selling a used laptop)

I am helping a Pharmacist I work with sell a used laptop. I know a lot more people who need one than he does (college age) and he isn't from this area. He lives in a upper middle class area and so it is hard to find someone to buy it used.

He bought it for his wife, she rarely uses it and so he's selling it. I've seen pictures, he's told me the specs (I can't remember now, but I could ask again), and it looks brand new. He is bringing it to work on Friday next time I see him and will let me take a look and bring it home to test it out and what not.

My issue is, I know someone who is interested. He is willing to do a payment plan, and he isn't even sure how much he wants for it. My issue is, I know the person interested is not responsible when it comes to payment plans (utilities get shut off, items get repossessed, etc.) They've asked for his number so they can talk about a payment plan. I don't want him to get burned though, especially since I'm helping.

Would you give them his number and have him deal with it knowing it may end in him being burned, or would you lie to them and say he isn't selling anymore or something?

If they were paying up front, I would have no problem with helping out and being the middle (wo)man. Payment plans though, not so much.

Nope. I wouldn't take a payment plan unless it was a close friend or family member.

The thing is, they are a close friend of mine. The Pharmacist doesn't know them, but trusts my judgment. So whatever happens reflects on me. I'm guessing it would be smart to just lie to them and say he already sold it, I just know they really need one. But, I don't want him to get burned because they need something they aren't going to budget for ::sigh::

Have you told this person he is willing to do a payment plan? If not, don't. Then just tell him you're not sure about the payment plan, but you'll ask. I would be honest with the pharmacist and tell him that this person is not so good with payment plans and if he decides to sell it should be a cash deal.

If you don't tell him then you'll continue to be middle (wo)man for months. If you tell him and he still decides to give this person a chance, then the responsibility falls back to him.

I believe it is important to protect the working relationship you have with the pharmacist.

Just tell the buyer there is no payment plan available. (Or did you say the seller would take a payment plan?) If you don't trust the person, tell this to the seller if need be.

I considered this. I think I'll wait until I play around with the laptop and see what the going rate for the brand and condition is, and then help him come up with a price (he is open to whatever, he doesn't expect people to trust him when buying used)

Have you told this person he is willing to do a payment plan? If not, don't. Then just tell him you're not sure about the payment plan, but you'll ask. I would be honest with the pharmacist and tell him that this person is not so good with payment plans and if he decides to sell it should be a cash deal.

If you don't tell him then you'll continue to be middle (wo)man for months. If you tell him and he still decides to give this person a chance, then the responsibility falls back to him.

I believe it is important to protect the working relationship you have with the pharmacist.

Yeah, writing it out made me realize it was stupid to even consider the payment plan with them. I'll discuss this with him when I see him and just plainly tell him I would not trust them to keep up with a payment plan, but would be more than happy to help with it all up front. If he decides to give them the benefit of the doubt, then I'll tell him that I'll bring payments when they make them but I can't force them to do anything. I doubt he would expect that of me anyways. Then I'll give them his number and let them figure it out.

I think you should only be the middle (wo)man in terms of connecting the seller with potential buyers and giving the seller your honest opinion.

What I would do: Come up with a fair price. Give the potential buyer the seller's phone number. Give the seller your honest opinion that if he does a payment plan with that particular buyer, he will probably get burned. Leave the rest up to the two of them. If the seller doesn't want to accept a payment plan, he ought to be the one to tell the buyer. If he does, he shouldn't hold you responsible when you gave him the head's up.

I think you should only be the middle (wo)man in terms of connecting the seller with potential buyers and giving the seller your honest opinion.

What I would do: Come up with a fair price. Give the potential buyer the seller's phone number. Give the seller your honest opinion that if he does a payment plan with that particular buyer, he will probably get burned. Leave the rest up to the two of them. If the seller doesn't want to accept a payment plan, he ought to be the one to tell the buyer. If he does, he shouldn't hold you responsible when you gave him the head's up.

:iagree: I also would not agree to deliver the payments for the friend. The friend and the seller need to work that out for themselves.

Yeah, writing it out made me realize it was stupid to even consider the payment plan with them. I'll discuss this with him when I see him and just plainly tell him I would not trust them to keep up with a payment plan, but would be more than happy to help with it all up front. If he decides to give them the benefit of the doubt, then I'll tell him that I'll bring payments when they make them but I can't force them to do anything. I doubt he would expect that of me anyways. Then I'll give them his number and let them figure it out.

No.

You are helping him sell the laptop. That's it. Do not get in the middle in anyway or you're jeopardizing your relationship with both people.

You might be like me, so eager to help that you cross boundaries you have no business crossing. Normal folks would recognize that getting in the middle of payments is getting too involved and is downright intrusive. You and I might not. :) But all you are to do is let the pharmancist know about this person, let that person know payments plan with the other party are not a good idea and then let the pharmisict take it from there. That's it. That's an order. :D

No.

You are helping him sell the laptop. That's it. Do not get in the middle in anyway or you're jeopardizing your relationship with both people.

You might be like me, so eager to help that you cross boundaries you have no business crossing. Normal folks would recognize that getting in the middle of payments is getting too involved and is downright intrusive. You and I might not. :) But all you are to do is let the pharmancist know about this person, let that person know payments plan with the other party are not a good idea and then let the pharmisict take it from there. That's it. That's an order. :D

This is what I did tonight. I spoke with him and told him that since he'd most likely get burned, to try craigslist. I don't see why he'd have any trouble there.