Menu

What kind of bed?

My twins are 2 1/2. (boy and girl) They are currently still in their cribs with crib tents on them. (they are climbers) They are and always have been great sleepers. They sleep 12 hours a night and take a 3 hour nap every afternoon. We have always just laid them down and they go to sleep. A lot of times they climb in on their own. So here is my dilemma. I know they can't stay in baby cribs forever. Their room is pretty small. Two twin beds would fit, but wouldn't leave them much room at all for toys and to play. (We don't have a play room.) The other thing we saw and are considering is a captains bed that has a trundle bed that is like a drawer that pulls out and it also has three storage drawers. My only fear is they would smash fingers in it opening and closing it. I also don't know what kind of bedding I could do for the top bed that would be unisex. Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. We are planning on redoing their bedroom for their birthday (which is a week before Christmas) and Christmas.

We switched our kids to twin beds after their cribs. In retrospect, I really wish we would have gone with toddler beds. Our kids seemed kind of scared of the big beds. I suspect we wouldn't have had so much trouble with them coming to our room if they would have been happier with their new beds. Hope you find a good solution.

We don't do cribs and move them from co-sleeping to twin mattress on the floor. But one my my friends was living in a small 2-bedroom apartment and had her two kids in what I think was a toddler-sized bunk bed. It was much smaller than a regular bunk bed. DS has been using the top bunk of a regular bunk bed at my parents' house since about that age.