Menu

Differences in FLL 3 and 4?

I have FLL 3 sitting on my shelf. We used it last year, but then we stopped. I don't remember why, lol.

I'm now looking at FLL 4 for my 4th grade dd, and I was looking at the sample for it. It seems to cover the same things ( as far as I can tell from looking at a sample ).

Anyone here who has used both levels and can tell me what is added in FLL 4?

Should we just finish FLL 3 first before I buy FLL 4?

Do the test to see if she is ready. There is a big jump between three and four. I saw someone here saying that people complain that 3 is too easy and then turn around and complain that 4 is too hard. My son did 4 in grade 5 and it was just right for him.

I can't quite remember.. was there still copywork in 3? Maybe it goes away in three? It is all dictation in 4, and the dictation is much more challenging. The narration also becomes more challenging.

But maybe she is fine with that.

Do the test to see if she is ready. There is a big jump between three and four. I saw someone here saying that people complain that 3 is too easy and then turn around and complain that 4 is too hard. My son did 4 in grade 5 and it was just right for him.

I can't quite remember.. was there still copywork in 3? Maybe it goes away in three? It is all dictation in 4, and the dictation is much more challenging. The narration also becomes more challenging.

Thanks for your reply. I think we will go ahead and finish Level 3 before moving on.

Are you thinking of WWE instead of FLL?

Last year I did FLL 3 with my 3rd grader and FLL 4 with my 5th. They are very similar and follow closely with one another week by week. FLL 4 is a bit more advanced in sentence complexity, but I think both of my girls got a great grammar foundation. This year we'll review the rules and lists they memorized last year. My now 6th is moving to Harvey's/CW and my 4th is not doing anything formal; we're going to work on Bravewriter's The Arrow use Nitty Gritty Grammar.

I think the PP is referring to WWE. We did both last year as well and I am definitely waiting until 5th to do WWE4 with my younger; the jump from WWE3 to WWE4 is a big one.

Are you thinking of WWE instead of FLL?

:iagree: There is a big jump with WWE, but not with FLL ime.

I felt there was little difference between FLL 3 and 4. My oldest did FLL 4 about one year behind (i.e. we were about 1/3 through it when he started 5th grade). We eventually dropped it because it was just too easy and seemingly nothing new. I would definitely go ahead and start level 4. (Now WWE is a different story!)

:iagree: There is a big jump with WWE, but not with FLL ime.

I felt there was little difference between FLL 3 and 4. My oldest did FLL 4 about one year behind (i.e. we were about 1/3 through it when he started 5th grade). We eventually dropped it because it was just too easy and seemingly nothing new. I would definitely go ahead and start level 4. (Now WWE is a different story!)

So we wouldn't miss anything by skipping FLL 3 because it will all be in FLL 4 again, right? If that's the case, I think I'll go ahead and get FLL 4.

• 3 weeks later...

What about diagramming? Will the learning curve be too great if we skip FLL 3 and go to 4?

How far does the diagramming get in FLL 3, and where does it start in FLL 4? I used R&S 3-5 with my first son. Is FLL diagramming similar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...