Menu

Question about anti-depressants...

I know this may come across trivial... but, do they make it difficult to lose weight or help you put on more weight? I am really, really trying to lose 20 pounds right now... but, I am dealing with some symptoms that need paid attention to... dealing with depression. Like I said... trivial in a way... but, my self esteem also goes down the drain when I gain weight. I will follow up with my physician soon because I need to...

Thanks for any input...

That is absolutely not trivial. It runs deeper than just how you look on the outside - it's connected to so many other aspects of you physically (incl. endocrine system) and emotionally.

Some make food seem really, really tasty. All food. Others can have the opposite effect, aiding weight-loss just a tad. There's the variable that each of our different bodies' chemistry might mix & react differently w/ the different meds. Tell your doc. weight gain is a side effect you're not willing to gamble with right now, and that you want to try something that does not have it listed. There are others to choose from, Prozac & it's "relatives" are some.

:grouphug:

I know my sister was on one that suppressed her appetite and she lost weight. I don't remember which one it was as it was 5 years ago and she's switched around a bit. So yes, it's possible. But there are also ones that do make you want to eat more so *sigh* it just seems to be one of those things you find out after you're on them.

And can I just give you a :grouphug:. I struggle with depression issues and I just want to give you a :grouphug:

Going with Meggie on the :grouphug: first. Depression makes everything *hard*.

I was on an antidepressant for several years and coincidentally, about a year into taking it, I realized I was overweight and started WW. I started taking the med a week after having my second child and after a year, hadn't lost a pound. I do believe that the only reason I lost the weight was because I was following a plan and had a friend with me. The med I was on not only helped me do the day to day tasks, but I was also much more organized in thought and deed, something with which I've always struggled. I hope you find something that works for you. :grouphug:

Thanks for the hugs. Last year was one of the roughest ones... older kids growing up and leaving (we have super relationships, so that is good!) and younger ones leaving to live with their dad. I kept pretending that it was all okay and fine. Last week for several days I woke up and it felt like all the color was gone in life... life was dull, black and white. I feel myself physically dealing with the depression, even if I am working on my mentality...

Thanks for letting me ramble... and for the hugs. I will ask my Dr. about it. I have been off meds for 4 years and hate going back on, but I want to be happy again...

And there are many good things in my life to be happy about. Many, many blessings. But, they seem "blocked", iykwim...

Bee,

I'm sorry for your difficulties. :grouphug:

Wellbutrin is the antidepressant that has a known weight loss effect. Most of the SSRI drugs (Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft) are more associated with weight gain. Some of the SNRI drugs (Effexor, Cymbalta) seem to have less of the weight gain effect.

With any of these meds, or even without them, try to get some daily exercise, even if it's just taking a 20 minute walk. I have found daily exercise to be key in dealing with my anxiety and depression.

Call your doc. Usually they seem to start with the SSRI drugs. I wouldn't worry so much about the weight as feeling better right now. Just watch what you eat and get out there and walk.

Please feel free to PM me if yo need a friend who understands. I'm in a "transition" time with my eldest two children and it's not easy, is it? I wasn't ready for them to leave (and especially not ready for one to go to war...ugh, ugh, ugh).

The first time in my adult life that I successfully lost weight and kept it off for a number of years, I had also just started Paxil. So it is possible to lose weight on antidepressants. That said, I was going through many life changes at the time and was able to take time to exercise and plan healthy meals. I am also an emotional eater, big time, and having been depressed for a long time before getting treatment certainly contributed to my weight gain. And being obese wore at my self-esteem and contributed to my depression. I was extremely sensitive about my weight.

But I definitely believe antidepressants can make it hard to lose weight.

My husband was once on anti-depressants for his chronic migraines. He put on about 10-15 pounds. Now we are trying the same anti-depressant for my daughter who has chronic migraines. She has only been on it a week, but she was a little worried about that aspect of it as well, so I was researching anti-depressants. Apparently some anti-depressants -- such as triptylines -- do often cause a little weight gain. Maybe they slow down your metabolism a bit, I'm not sure. Other anti-depressants -- such as Lexapro -- do not.

Apparently some anti-depressants -- such as triptylines -- do often cause a little weight gain. Maybe they slow down your metabolism a bit, I'm not sure. Other anti-depressants -- such as Lexapro -- do not.

Ummm, no. Lexapro is an SSRI. That class of drugs often causes weight gain. It is a common side effect.

Wellbutrin is not associated with weight gain (actually a slight weight loss). I tried it and it really worked. The only problem is that it can really increase your sex drive.

Hmmm. And the problem with that is...????:lol:

Actually, I've taken it. And yes, it can. :D