Menu

British English spelling curriculum

sparks

Hi there,

Is anyone familiar with any spelling curriculum that follows a largely British spelling convention? We are in a country that requires us to take a national exam, and that is the standard form used.

We are following through with Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar, but a more thorough spelling curriculum would be great! :)

Canadians use British spelling, but really, the main difference that I have found is just that where you would often have an 'or' in American spelling, you put in an 'our' instead.

Colour

Neighbour

Favourite

Toque ;)

Cheque (as opposed to check in the U.S. - the money transfer instrument)

We're just using AAS and I'll point out the two different ways you can go. For me it is a matter of personal preference in any case. When I type online and write blog posts I go for US spelling in any case because itis more widely recognized.

I just use AAS but change things as we go along - so 'mom' is moved to the short 'u' list and bath/plant, etc we learn with the caveat: the way we say this it isn't a short a word, but if you were in North America it would be. DS often says the word in 'english' then in 'american' to spell it.

Thank you all for you replies. Will look into the suggestions!

Grover

Yes I was looking at AAS, and am concerned if it is a lot of trouble teaching BrE spelling using AmE set? We are using ETC and I am getting tired telling him, "O this is an exception.":001_smile:

Stripe

I am in Singapore but I am looking for a separate spelling curriculum and cannot seem to find it here. The spelling programme here is largely drill and kill, and involves long spelling lists, which I am not sure if I want to subject myself to :(

I am in Singapore but I am looking for a separate spelling curriculum and cannot seem to find it here. The spelling programme here is largely drill and kill, and involves long spelling lists, which I am not sure if I want to subject myself to :(

You are right. Phonics-based spelling and roots-based vocab makes much more sense.

I was looking at Mater Amabilis last night as they have many dual US/ UK suggestions, but wasn't sure if I really found anything. You might want to adapt a vintage US text (the -re and -our endings would be easy, for example). I'm using The Modern Speller now but plan to use Wheeler's.

I tried looking on Book Depository but couldn't tell what was British. Does Oxford put out anything locally?

There is this book which is probably more aimed at older learners.

Also a search for "spelling" in "Books" on http://www.amazon.co.uk brings up a lot of spelling books, some of which are defined by their Key Stage. This refers to the grouping of school years in the UK:

Early Years is Preschool and Reception (up to 5yo)

Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2 (ages 5-7)

Key Stage 2 is Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 (ages 7-11)

Key Stage 3 is Years 7, 8 and 9 (ages 11-14)

Key Stage 4 is Years 10 and 11 (ages 14-16).

Compulsory education ends at 16yo. 16yos have the option to attend college, and then university, usually from 18yo.

Because I saw a spelling series by Andrew Brodie -- not sure exactly what's inside but one book is described as "Offers a systematic approach to spelling from the starting point of synthetic phonics through to the observation of phonic patterns in more complex words" -- which does not seem to be the random list of unrelated words method.

ETA: How about this Magical Skills curriculum by Louis Fidge? ("'Magical Skills' is a home studies series designed to teach children core skills in English that will build confidence at school.") It is inexpensive and you can actually look inside unlike the Brodie book.

Edited by stripe

Because I saw a spelling series by Andrew Brodie -- not sure exactly what's inside but one book is described as "Offers a systematic approach to spelling from the starting point of synthetic phonics through to the observation of phonic patterns in more complex words" -- which does not seem to be the random list of unrelated words method.

ETA: How about this Magical Skills curriculum by Louis Fidge? ("'Magical Skills' is a home studies series designed to teach children core skills in English that will build confidence at school.") It is inexpensive and you can actually look inside unlike the Brodie book.

I used a couple of the Andrew Brodie books back in the short stage between between being unschoolers and discovering TWTM. From memory, they were okay.

Now the Magical Skills books I have a little more experience of - I have all the English books from 3-4yrs to 6-7yrs except their handwriting; I bought them for DS. They are intended as a supplementary resource for kids in public school, as opposed to a homeschool curriculum. There are quite a lot of books like that over here, available in the big grocery stores and bookshops. DS enjoys them because they're colorful, fun, full of praise (if you read it all!) and he often presses to do several pages at once. (Be my guest. :D ). Was there anything specific you wanted to know about them?