Menu

PLEASE...I can't get my stainless steel appliances clean.

I had the best luck with windex and a microfiber cloth. But seriously, I hated our ss dishwasher so much (because of the fingerprints, etc) that when it finally bit the dust we got a white one to replace it. LOL!

One of my kids works at a restaurant and swears by the stainless steel cleaner they get from Cysco. Keeps saying we need some at home. I keep saying to get the manager to sell me a can.;)

I think Barkeeper's Friend is great for sinks, but I don't know if it's sold in a sprayable/wipeable form that would be good for appliance fronts.

Okay, I got a big bucket of scalding hot water and lots of dishsoap and really scrubbed the appliances then I dried them really well and THEN I used my SS cleaner but I let it set for awhile before I wiped it. Then I buffed it with a microfiber cloth. There is still some smudges that must be discoloration but overall it looks way better. Thanks for the suggestions of different SS cleaners though I may try a few different ones out and see how they work.

50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water, warmed in a spray bottle in the microwave, with a microfiber towel works pretty well. I'm am admittedly not super picky, though. And I'm too stubborn to buy special products. I used vinegar/water on everything. LOL

I'll try the vinegar too. Unfortunately, I am really picky, but its been awhile since I really looked at the bottom of the appliances because of everything that's been going on with MIL and getting school started.:glare:

Whoever thought that smudge-able stainless steel appliances in a 4 bedroom house (obviously there would be dc living here) was a good idea, was an idiot.

On the plus side, my scrubbing the appliances inspired me to scrub my floor and now its super shiny and clean...at least until dinner.:tongue_smilie:

The feature of stainless cleaners is that they leave a film so finger prints and whatnot don't show up and wipe off easily when there's something else. If the surface is grubby, they don't do much for the actual cleaning.

I get drip marks under the water dispenser on our fridge door (really soft water) with Barkeeper's Friend (good call, Mrs M!), use just a dishcloth on the rest and then use the stainless polish when it's dry. I'm partial to Mrs Meyer's. If you use oil, I would think mineral oil would be best, since it doesn't turn rancid like cooking oils can

As a side note, we use the fridge doors as a white board and it doesn't seem to affect the wet-erase markers' legibility.

I have read that Pledge works well, but I haven't tried it.

I put just a small amount of mineral oil on a cloth and rub well. Just be prepared to spend some time buffing off the oil, but when you do the prints will be gone as well. I don't have to do this every time, just every once in a while. In between, just a soft cloth works (+/- damp).

This is why I don't understand the appeal of stainless. We got a really great deal on a floor-model stainless range. We weren't looking for stainless, but couldn't pass up the great deal. (None of our other appliances are stainless.)

I hate cleaning it! I am someone who wipes down the kitchen every day because I love a pretty kitchen. But the stainless range never looks nice and shiny and cared-for like my other appliances.

So, OP, I have no suggestions for you...just wanted to commiserate.

I use these wipes, followed immediately by wiping with a microfiber cloth. But my appliances are pretty new, so maybe this wouldn't work for older ones.

31h5YmnIaoL._SS500_.jpg

I LOVE these! When we bought our home, it was a foreclosure. The stainless steel appliances were still there (including a fridge), but they were in pretty bad condition. The Weiman's were the only thing that got them looking good. And they are SO easy to use!

I use these wipes, followed immediately by wiping with a microfiber cloth. But my appliances are pretty new, so maybe this wouldn't work for older ones.

31h5YmnIaoL._SS500_.jpg

:iagree:

One wipe cleans my fridge, dishwasher & trash can, about 2x a week (depends on how much I'm cooking or kiddos are in the kitchen).