Menu

Gift for 10yr old boy?

My DS's birthday is coming up and I am stuck on a gift for him. I want to get him a kitten, but it is doubtful that DH will go for that. I don't want to get him any other small pet because I'm holding out that if we don't get the kitten now, maybe DH would go for the idea for all the kids at Christmas.

What DS wants, other than the kitten, I don't want to get him. He wants Bakugan, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, etc. I am sick to death of those, don't like them, and don't want any more in my house. He is a little OCD and the collectible nature of them seems to feed his obsessive tendencies. IMO, it's becoming a problem and I don't want any more of those types of toys.

What else would a boy like? He still likes to play with toys. He is very creative and imaginative and loves pretend play. He likes legos and that's the only other thing I can think of but he'd really prefer something to play with and not just something to build. Any ideas for a non building, non card based toy for a 10yr old boy? My girls are so easy- I can come up with a million ideas for them that are cheap but he is hard.

That's funny cause I think my dd is the hard one, while the boys are easy to buy for.

Transformers

Action figures (toy soldiers, etc)

Nerf guns

RC cars

Basketball hoop

Electronics kit (I forgot the name of it, but it's very popular now)

Magic kit

Kung Zhu hamsters

Rollerblades

I agree that I'm sick of Bakugan!

My son just turned 11 and he still loves Playmobil, especially the pirates and the police. Both of ds11 love the plastic Star Wars light sabers. They have played with those for 5 years and still continue to play with them and buy new colors (they have found some at yard sales). They love all things Star Wars. Also Nerf guns.

For Christmas a couple years ago, my children received a shared gift of some Kapla blocks (like Keva planks). The box contained 300 blocks, and there was never enough, but my now-12yo ds still likes building things with them. We were later able to find the cheaper knock-off CitiBlocs on clearance at Costco, so now we have ~1500 blocks (and another 4 boxes of the CitiBlocks still unopened, each with 300 blocks) which seems to be enough. However, with the three children playing together, they have been known to use nearly every one of those 1500 blocks (minus the few the puppy chewed :glare:).

If that's too close to a building toy, my ds also liked the Lego Transformers, but honestly? For imaginary play, my ancient Rome-obsessed ds still likes to wear swords (usually homemade from cardboard - now he wants an anvil to make one out of steel), or bows and arrows, and a (also usually homemade from cardboard) breastplate or other "armor".

I hope you can convince your dh to get a kitten (or an adult cat). We have three (four, if you count the foster kitten who will probably never leave because we love him too much!) cats and my son loves them. He's definitely a cat person (who finally found a dog to love when we also brought home our Golden Retriever).

Does he like the outdoors? My 10yo ds wants a canteen, super-fancy compass, etc. He has a slingshot, walkie-talkies and pocketknife and they are his treasured possessions. But I guess that's for a certain "type".

Other ideas... educational but fun computer game? (Sorry, I am not savvy on that front.) Tin-tin books? How about something techy like a digital camera?