Menu

Documentaries for 1600-1850?

We have used documentaries for ancients and medieval/renaissance, but I have a hard time coming up with something the period DS will study for 7th grade: 1600-1850.

I have on my list one about Napoleon and another one about the French revolution. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Netflix has several on the Americas including "The Story of Us". Also on Netflix :Monarchy season 1 and 2, Lewis and Clark, The Medici's, The History Channels "Louisiana Purchase", In search of Bethoven, Lafayette the lost hero, There are several Deep sea Detectives that fall into that era also....

If you don't have netflix you can try youtube, a bit of a pain in the rear, but they do have some doc's avail as does Hulu.

I highly recommend the movie Amazing Grace. It is fabulous. It is about Wilber Wilberforce and the slave trade.

Some that are in our Netflix queue that we haven't yet watched:

Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery

National Geographic: Guns, Germs and Steel (2-Disc Series)

The Donner Party: American Experience

1850's + would be Orphan Trains

If you want ideas beyond documentaries:

Northwest Passage

Last of the Mohicans

Northwest Passage

Oliver Twist

Great Expectations

FWIW, my children and I dislike the TC high school lectures. The only ones that they do appeal to are my 3rd/4th grade crowd.

We have used documentaries for ancients and medieval/renaissance, but I have a hard time coming up with something the period DS will study for 7th grade: 1600-1850.

I have on my list one about Napoleon and another one about the French revolution. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Liberty! is really good.

We also just watched The Crossing with Jeff Daniels. That was well done. More of a dramatization than a documentary, but still good.

We got both through Netflix.