Menu

Im doing it

AnnaM

Im dumping all Science and History curriculum and we are going to go unit/laptop based for the rest of the year. Anyone else do something similar? If so, how do you choose what you are going to do? We were already working on a rocks and mineral one so I just decided to go the route of earth science based on where each unit study naturally leads us.

We basically unit study for science. I buy the Evan Moor science books and it comes with worksheets, book ideas, activities to do. Then I just add some things to it. We are finishing up the Habitats one. I have a Water one on hand. And I also want to do the Geology one, plus one about the Human Body too....and possibly Weather.

We do unit studies here for science, social studies, civics, and just fun stuff. DD7 chooses what's next, and I either find something appropriate or put something together.

We just finished an Intelligo unit on early American history, and are now starting a thrown-together insect study. Lots of library books, documentaries, a booklet with species drawings and info, some hikes with specimen jars, and a big finale with a double features of "The Ant Bully" and "A Bug's Life" movies. :)

Next will be an Intelligo study on maps. Can't wait for that one! We'll to pull out the hiking topo maps and the compass for some orienteering. I'm thinking about doing some geocaching, and neighborhood mapmaking.

After that, she wants to do a cake unit. So, decorating, baking, history of, sources of ingredients, chemistry of baking, comparing box to scratch cake, nutrition, etc. Should be fun! And fattening.

I'll pull out subjects for more formal study as time passes, but for elementary, we're good with mostly units to supplement the 3Rs.

Dd13 and dd12 just did interest led last year and this year dd12 is still doing interest led. She just gives me her topics and I help her come up with the resources. This year so far she chose a lapbook on horses, and then she is extending the study by doing several different projects related to different horse topics. To show what she has learned she will produce a project board about the history of the Lipizanner, a poster about the use of horses in bull fighting, an art project based on a favorite scene from King of the Wind, a compare and contrast paper on the National Velvet book and the movie, and a couple of simple reports on breeding and genetics. She was allowed to choose any topic for history too but she chose to do the Time Travelers History Studies. She's adding documentaries, movies and books to that.

We basically unit study for science. I buy the Evan Moor science books and it comes with worksheets, book ideas, activities to do. Then I just add some things to it. We are finishing up the Habitats one. I have a Water one on hand. And I also want to do the Geology one, plus one about the Human Body too....and possibly Weather.

We did the geology one and we are almost through with the water one. I really like the Evan Moor books. How do you like the habitats one? We have that one waiting for another time.

Our living situation is about to get insane so I'm going to be doing unit studies based on the Magic Tree House and Magic School Bus chapter books. I'm going to supplement with various websites, books and Evan Moor activities (I think I'm going to join the Teachers File Box which is on sale at the co-op).

So far the topics I have are: Knights/Princesses/Castles, Mummies/Egypt, Pirates, Rainforest, Ice Age, Space, Ocean Mammals, Wild West, Africa, Vikings, Australian animals, Thanksgiving/Pilgrims, Halloween, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome/Volcanos (Pompei), Rocks/Minerals and Human Body/Skeleton. We'll explore each for as long as the interest is there before moving on to whatever topic they pick next.