Menu

"School" suggestions for ds3?

What kinds of things can I use to keep ds3 (gainfully? :D) occupied during school hours? He can amuse himself for a while, but I don't want a repeat of last year where he spent many mornings with the Scholastic video babysitter.:tongue_smilie: I like those movies, you know, they're fine, but I want him doing other stuff too. Right now we have number/letter magnets, puzzles, markers, playdoh, crayons, etc., but I would like to try to structure maybe an hour's worth of activities for him. (Not all at once, over the course of the day.:001_smile:)

My dd loved activity pages. She loved pages with skills like matching, opposites, etc., the kind where she could color them and draw a line between the two items that matched or were opposites, whichever skill the page was supposed to teach or review.

She loves attribute blocks and pattern blocks and cards that go with them. I also had a rubber band board with cards and she would pick a card, pick the right color of rubber bands and create the design on the card.

Lacing cards

Stringing colored beads (large) on laces in patterns

Puzzles

books on tape or cd (she would listen to these for hours)

felt story pieces and a felt board

I cycled through different activities so she wasn't doing the same things every day. She could play in the same room we were in as long as she was quiet, and she always listened to me reading aloud (Bible, history, science, literature).

This isn't independent, but my kids loved doing calendar time each day. I got a big laminated calendar from a school supply store and put velcro dots on the numbers and inside the boxes. Each day we would sing the Days of the Week song, identify today's day, and then put the number date in the right box by starting at the beginning. For example, if today's date was the 5th, I would point to each number and say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and today is the 5th!

There are 2 Days of the Week songs I like:

Sung to the Addams Family tune

and

(cute kid singing this one)

We also talked about weather using a weather chart.

PN, thank-you!

Now, where can I find activity pages such as you describe? I do have pattern blocks, and the toddler sized pattern blocks as well; he likes the idea of "doing school" with the bigger ones, but my time for one on one with him is fairly limited during school time...

This isn't independent, but my kids loved doing calendar time each day. I got a big laminated calendar from a school supply store and put velcro dots on the numbers and inside the boxes. Each day we would sing the Days of the Week song, identify today's day, and then put the number date in the right box by starting at the beginning. For example, if today's date was the 5th, I would point to each number and say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and today is the 5th!

There are 2 Days of the Week songs I like:

Sung to the Addams Family tune

and

(cute kid singing this one)

We also talked about weather using a weather chart.

OK, I could do this! My youngers all love to sing, so they could "help" me! :D

I let my little ones participate in as much of the group instruction as they will tolerate, and offer Montessori inspired activities during our individual work time. I've found a lot of really great ideas on the blog countingcoconuts for that age.

I let my little ones participate in as much of the group instruction as they will tolerate, and offer Montessori inspired activities during our individual work time. I've found a lot of really great ideas on the blog countingcoconuts for that age.

Cool! I will go check it out--thanks!:D

My 3yo really wants to do school like her sisters. I'm planning to include her in Bible Study and as much Science & History as she'll sit for each day. I was really surprised last year when she could say, "This is Jacob, he is sad." after doing a bible story and workpage with her sisters!! I'm going to make an extra color page or other writing page for her to do whatever she wants with, while she listens. But specifically for her I bought Handwriting W/o Tears stick set & can't wait to get it it (I taught this in ps kdg & can't wait to do it with her) So we'll do a little of that each day, also I found at Dollar Tree, Sesame Street & Mickey Mouse Clubhouse "preschool workbooks" for 1$ each on Letters, Shapes, Colors etc. So excited!! We have a Kumon Maze book we got last year that she loves too. Other than that I have a 2 hour block where I'll be doing 1 on 1 math with her older sibs and so I will need to have things out and ready for her to play, paint, do playdough, build, watch a dvd, etc with a sister. I like the idea of having school time activities - like "independent" things you "save" for schooltime so I'm going to find a few things to throw into a "choice" basket in case she does'nt know what to do, I think that'll also encourage her older sisters to want to "play" with her during their break time.

Edited by rocketgirl

can you rotate an older sibling to do an activity with your 3 yo? that's my plan altho i haven't "planned" it yet also I think I'll have to assign certain "blocks" of time like this is "painting" time, this is "playdough" time, etc so it is limited, but there, they don't get bored, keeps it exciting...

When my younger ones were little, the first thing I did after breakfast was to have a little "preschool time," where I read a picture book to my toddler & preschooler, and played a little board or card game with them. Their having some "mommy time" really helped them to be more content to be left on their own for a little while. I alternated a structured time alone with a more loosely structured time with an older sibling. Their alone times were to play 30 min on the computer, watch a short video (30 min), play with quiet toys...eg felt books and Lauri puzzles. It's been a long-ish time, and I don't remember everything, but I hope this helps.