Menu

Scorpion sting...(warning creepy content)

Dh was minding his own business watching TV when he suddenly jumped up-- a scorpion had crawled into his shirt and had stung him 4 times on his stomach. The next day he told me his tongue went numb right after the sting-- I would have taken him to the minor emergency center if he would have admitted this at the time of the sting!

One week later.

The sting marks (dime sized red circles) are still visible and have now started itching. Itching BAD he says.

Any thoughts about how 'normal' this is--could he be allergic???

This is first experience with scorpions (other than stomping them)...

The rest of us have all been stung at some point-- but the swelling was down in about an hour (after Benadryl).

Texas scorpion stings are similar to bee stings...

He asked me to ask you...

It might be due to allergies, but I doubt it. Allergic reactions usually manifest soon after the sting.

When I've gotten stung by bees or by fire ants, I always get really itchy a few days later. For me, it's just the normal healing process. For you dh, that might be the case, too.

Have you tried a topical corticosteroidal cream? That might help.

With most bites/stings the 2 issues with them are the initial allergy/irritation and then possible infection. You can try the hydrocortisone cream for the itching but watch carefully for signs that they may be infected. You can get some pretty nasty infections that can progress quite quickly so keep that in mind.

A great resource for these things is your local Poison Control Center. They usually handle venomous bites/stings in addition to household poisons. A trained professional will be able to tell dh if he needs to go to the ER, or to just be a real Texan, and "Cowboy up". :-)

With most bites/stings the 2 issues with them are the initial allergy/irritation and then possible infection. You can try the hydrocortisone cream for the itching but watch carefully for signs that they may be infected. You can get some pretty nasty infections that can progress quite quickly so keep that in mind.

:iagree:

I've been stung by a scorpion (Southern Devil type), and here is what I know about those stings:

There may be a sharp burning sensation at the sting site, followed by itching. The sting may or may not leave a red mark or swelling. In as many as 50 percent of cases, there will be no sign of the sting. Even if there is no redness or swelling, the area might be hypersensitive to touch. There might be tingling or numbness, which may persist for several weeks; this is the last symptom to resolve. Strangely, if you tap on the site of the bite --this is known as the "tap test"--the sensitivity worsens. Sometimes, even wearing clothing that touches the area makes the sensitivity worse.

Fortunately, while the sting of the Southern Devil scorpion is moderately painful, it's not life-threatening, and it's not particularly medically serious unless an allergy to the venom is involved. If a person is allergic, symptoms may include muscle spasms, which could affect the tongue. The reaction could last for 6 hours, or even longer.