Menu

Clothes Shopping

Heaven help me, but how I *loathe* clothes shopping. :glare:

Especially maternity wear, and esp this go 'round. B/c this should be our last baby, spending $ on maternity wear I won't be using again bugs me.

But...I have a grand total of 1 pr of pants, 2 shorts, and 3 shirts. Kinda need more. I also dislike having to buy summer and fall/winter gear, since I'm not due til Nov.

I always check for 2nd hand stuff, but find it really hard to find things in my size, so end up having to go retail.

I'm whining b/c I've admitted defeat and have to go shopping shortly. Blech!

:grouphug::iagree:

I hate clothes shopping too.

have you tried e-bay or craigslist for maternity wear? Money was super tight during my last pregnancy, but sometimes I could get an entire box of clothes for cheap. even if I only used half of them, and donated/consigned the rest, it would work out to be a deal. especially as I was only going to be wearing them for six months or less.

I *completely* understand. I gave away almost everything after #4, & we have less $ now than then, AND the little bit I did keep? Either wrong season or doesn't fit.

I've been trying really hard not to live in pajamas (few of those even fit!), but it can be hard.

:grouphug:

I hate ebay for me. Stuff, despite being the right tag size, just never seems to fit properly, or doesn't end up fitting at all, so its a waste. I'm weirdly proportioned, so that doesn't help.

Great for the Littles, but not for me.

I *completely* understand. I gave away almost everything after #4, & we have less $ now than then, AND the little bit I did keep? Either wrong season or doesn't fit.

I've been trying really hard not to live in pajamas (few of those even fit!), but it can be hard.

:grouphug:

Pfft...I have ONE nighty that fits. That's it. My 'go to' comfy clothes of scrub uniforms are out. Nothing darn well fits anymore. I can either suck it up and go buy clothes, or try and convince the family that Toga Months are a good thing, and then never leave the house. :lol:

I had saved nothing from my last two pregnancies. So I had to start over with maternity clothes. I had to suck it up and just go buy things. I found a pair of REALLY comfy capris (than can unroll and turn into pants) at Motherhood. I bought four pair in different colors and I just rotate them out. I'm very funny about how my clothing feels, and these feel great, so I'm just going with it.

Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you? I found that they had a really good selection of maternity shirts for good prices. I got a few from there....I picked up a few on sale at Motherhood....I found a few at Old Navy. And that's about it. I tried consignment stores but didn't find anything that I liked. I've looked at eBay, but like you, I really have to try something on....the size on the tag doesn't necessarily matter. It's how it fits.

No Burlington around here, as far as I know.

We've got a Motherhood outlet, so that's where we'll head. Even Old Navy stuff just doesn't fit me right, tends to be too small.

I'd rather be out buying a BBQ. We were supposed to get one months ago, but then the major fire happened, and helping Wolf's uncle blew our budget all to Hades, and we're still recovering from that. *sigh*

I never enjoy clothes shopping. Buying stuff to use for a few more months just ticks me off :lol:

And, what, may I ask, do the designers of maternity wear have in mind? Most of the tops I try on seem to blatantly showcase the b00ks! I mean, I'm freakishly large to start with, pregnancy doesn't shrink them, but seriously, all the shirts seem to be low cut!

How about using cardigan-type sweaters for when the weather gets cooler, over the (presumably short-sleeved) shirts you already have? Not buttoned, of course. You shouldn't need "maternity" ones, and you'll be able to wear them after as well.

I know what you mean about low-cut, too. I'm not endowed at all (even while pg) and it was pretty hard to avoid those, since they're everywhere.

No Burlington around here, as far as I know.

We've got a Motherhood outlet, so that's where we'll head. Even Old Navy stuff just doesn't fit me right, tends to be too small.

I'd rather be out buying a BBQ. We were supposed to get one months ago, but then the major fire happened, and helping Wolf's uncle blew our budget all to Hades, and we're still recovering from that. *sigh*

I never enjoy clothes shopping. Buying stuff to use for a few more months just ticks me off :lol:

And, what, may I ask, do the designers of maternity wear have in mind? Most of the tops I try on seem to blatantly showcase the b00ks! I mean, I'm freakishly large to start with, pregnancy doesn't shrink them, but seriously, all the shirts seem to be low cut!

LOL!

I'm wondering what us less-endowed ladies are supposed to do, what with the entire middle of the shirt missing! No one wants to layer in this heat. I'm glad I'm not dealing with maternity clothes right now. Good luck though, with finding something you like. I think I'd resort to 'mumuu month' and just stay home.

Oh, try being UNendowed in those tops! I mean, why even bother? Wide. open.

I have a *bookcase* I've nicknamed my PhD, thanks to all the *credentials* it adds. Some of my maternity tops *require* this...certificate...or a saftey pin.

Anybody seen my safety pins? I'm sure I saw one on the bathroom floor yesterday...

I have a cpl of sweaters...b/c of RSD, my right arm is really hyper sensitive to the cold.

Other problem is, where I live, it gets cold early. I don't have a coat I can even come close to doing up.

When I was expecting Diva, (also a Nov baby) it was so warm where I lived that I wore shorts to and from the hospital! Here, we're lucky if we don't get flipping snow in Sept! :willy_nilly:

Oh, try being UNendowed in those tops! I mean, why even bother? Wide. open.

I have a *bookcase* I've nicknamed my PhD, thanks to all the *credentials* it adds. Some of my maternity tops *require* this...certificate...or a saftey pin.

Anybody seen my safety pins? I'm sure I saw one on the bathroom floor yesterday...

Aubrey, at least a safety pin works for you. Honest to Pete, I just about fall out of these shirts, and there's not enough material to pin closed!

Wolf likes them :glare: but I'd like to be able to go out in public and not worry about causing a traffic accident!

Aubrey, at least a safety pin works for you. Honest to Pete, I just about fall out of these shirts, and there's not enough material to pin closed!

Wolf likes them :glare: but I'd like to be able to go out in public and not worry about causing a traffic accident!

What about a sports bra underneath & just letting that show like a camisole or something?

I would think maternity clothing would be readily available at Goodwill or another thrift store? Sports bras....I don't want to get too personal ;) But I have several sports bras from Walmart that are a 44 band. They are sold in a 3-pack for $15 or so. My cup size varies depending on the brand. I thought I was a C, but Nordstrom sized me at a DD. DH and I both were floored!!!

The bras are fruit of the loom, and go up to a size 44. On their website they are 3/$10

Edited by cin
a few more details.

Thanks for the head's up, Cin, but I have to buy my bras at specialty stores. Regular stores just don't carry them.

Add in the 'over the head' issue with an arm that doesn't work right, and I don't think they'd be a good choice for me, unfortunately.

I've gone to Value Village, Goodwill, etc. They just never seem to have my size. Pants are miles too long and constricting in the tummy, and shirts just never seem to be big enough. :glare:

Thanks for the head's up, Cin, but I have to buy my bras at specialty stores. Regular stores just don't carry them.

Add in the 'over the head' issue with an arm that doesn't work right, and I don't think they'd be a good choice for me, unfortunately.

I've gone to Value Village, Goodwill, etc. They just never seem to have my size. Pants are miles too long and constricting in the tummy, and shirts just never seem to be big enough. :glare:

My sis had a nursing sports bra that hooked in the back--don't know where she got it, & it probably wouldn't help if those don't fit (although maybe an extender?)--but I thought I would mention it for the over-the-head issue.

Tummy: my babies are HUGE. The best fit I've found for the completely disproportionate size of my belly to the length of my legs is the Secret Fit Belly...I think that's what it's called. They're the only ones that don't roll down or slide down or get constrictive eventually. Assuming that the spot where that Secret stuff attaches is big enough. :glare: