Menu

Buying a half lamb - experience?

We have the option of buying a half lamb locally. When I go for walks I see the sheep grazing on a nature reserve (it's heritage grassland, grazed to keep the wildflowers etc. on their traditional cycle). We now have an American-style side-by-side fridge-freezer. The freezer side is currently about 3/4 empty (we mostly eat fresh food and cook from scratch). How much of the freezer will be taken up with the lamb? The shepherd says that it will be about 12kg, butchered locally to our specifications.

Anything else we should think about? If we want some minced/ground meat for meatballs, which pieces should we ask to be minced/ground?

Thanks

Laura

Yum.

I bought a lamb from a friend of my mom's when I was living out in Texas. I let the farmer make the requests for cuts because I had no idea. It was all very tasty. If I still lived there I'd probably have made it a regular thing.

You probably don't have this issue if its not a large amount of meat, but we bought 400lbs of cow and it continually crosses my mind, what if the power goes out!? We have ours in a deep freezer, and have several coolers that we could take and fill with ice, but it definitely scares me!

You probably don't have this issue if its not a large amount of meat, but we bought 400lbs of cow and it continually crosses my mind, what if the power goes out!? We have ours in a deep freezer, and have several coolers that we could take and fill with ice, but it definitely scares me!

This reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode. :lol:

:leaving:

We have the option of buying a half lamb locally. When I go for walks I see the sheep grazing on a nature reserve (it's heritage grassland, grazed to keep the wildflowers etc. on their traditional cycle). We now have an American-style side-by-side fridge-freezer. The freezer side is currently about 3/4 empty (we mostly eat fresh food and cook from scratch). How much of the freezer will be taken up with the lamb? The shepherd says that it will be about 12kg, butchered locally to our specifications.

Anything else we should think about? If we want some minced/ground meat for meatballs, which pieces should we ask to be minced/ground?

Thanks

Laura

Having seen the cuts from a full lamb, I don't think I would mince/grind any of it. A half lamb is not very much. Generally, there isn't so much "lower" quality meat with lamb vs. cow, pig, or venison which is why there is always "burger" or a need for sausage/ground meat with the larger livestock. Every lamb we've ever purchased was just all high quality, cut-let worthy lamb. Ask about the bones. If you are entitled to them, I highly recommend making stock out of them for vegetable stews. It is very, very healthy.

Faith