Menu

Coastal N & S Carolina & Georgia folks, can you read my March Escape Post?

I am really wanting to concentrate our March adventure within these areas. Can you help my daughters and I plan a rugged, off-the-beaten path adventure?

We don't need to stay in one place! We want to be near water, we want to chill together, play cards, scrabble, walk the beach (even if it's chilly) and visit interesting sites. Fancy is not at all important, in fact we don't want a resort area, condo pool or any of that. We would like to do this in a cost-efficeint way. Nothing extravagant. A studio or one bedroom for the 3 of us is fine.

We would like wind, waves, and we are open to a big of camping, although a little cottage would be ideal. Even apartments or small hotels are fine...just needs to be near ocean or body of water (river is fine as long as near the coast) and relaxing. We would love to bring our smallish dogs (under 50 lbs) but that is not critical. We have money for a pet deposit, and our dogs are spry and not prone to accidents of any kind. They don't chew etc. But we do not have to bring our dogs!

Any ideas, leads etc would be great! Also, does anyone have any thoughts about Richmond Hill, GA?

Edited by LibraryLover

What do want to "do" while on vacation? Do you mostly want to sun bathe? Yes, this past mid-March in Wilmington had tons of people on the beach getting a tan. Or, do you want to get out and about and visit the "area"?

Have you considered anywhere along the Outer Banks? Southport, OKI, Wilmington are tucked nicely together and quite a quiet retreat. Hilton Head will be expensive.

There are many other areas....I have not read the other posts.

We're in NC. If you'd like to pm, I could certainly make other suggestions based on your preferences. HTH! It's a GREAT time to visit our area....smart choice of a month.

Check VRBO.com (vacation rental by owners). They have some great properties and are usually more economical than going through a hotel or realtor. Also, because the properties are privately owned you've got a great resource for activities, restaurants and places of interest in the area.

We love Tybee Island, GA and that's always our first pick for a beach vacation. We've also had great times at Nags Head, NC.

We stayed at a place at mile marker 1 or 2 or something off of I75. Kingsford, GA maybe???? Anyway, it was very sweet. The people were great. There was a great ocean-front park and the people were AWESOME. My dh met the mayor at that park. My 10 yo met people on the pier who were gathering crabs. He loved talking with them!!!

Thanks for the leads! and I did clean up a few typos. ;)

We would like relax and be together, maybe grill outside and watch the stars. Sit and play Scrabble on the porch with blankets around our shoulders. :) We like to explore interesting sites...historic are always good. We like farmers' markets, folk art, antiques (although none of us enjoy 'outlet' shopping), walking, beaches, nature, kayaking etc.

We've rented several times over the years via VRBO. I am just not quite sure where I want to look right now, and we are thinking we want to visit a few different areas. We have a lot of flexibility in March.

Thanks!!

Edited by LibraryLover

We camped in March '09 at Edisto Beach State Park in SC. The park has cabins, too, but we did ocean front camping. I loved falling asleep to the ocean waves, which you really hear in a tent! The shelling is great on the beach and there's a Piggly-Wiggly (and not much else!) just outside the park entrance. Charleston is about an hour away. You can find out more here:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1298.aspx

We will most likely be going to Hunting Island State Park in SC in March '12:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1019.aspx

We visited this park during the Edisto Beach trip and fell in love with the tide pools.

The Outer Banks in NC were already mentioned and we love it there, too! We've only stayed 2-3 days at a time in the Corolla Hampton Inn. You can get great deals in the off season. It's in the middle of n.o.w.h.e.r.e. and has a private beach.

It's one of our favorite parts of the country! I'm sure you'll find something great.

Wow! Thank you! This is just the type of thing we are looking for. :)

We camped in March '09 at Edisto Beach State Park in SC. The park has cabins, too, but we did ocean front camping. I loved falling asleep to the ocean waves, which you really hear in a tent! The shelling is great on the beach and there's a Piggly-Wiggly (and not much else!) just outside the park entrance. Charleston is about an hour away. You can find out more here:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1298.aspx

We will most likely be going to Hunting Island State Park in SC in March '12:

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1019.aspx

We visited this park during the Edisto Beach trip and fell in love with the tide pools.

The Outer Banks in NC were already mentioned and we love it there, too! We've only stayed 2-3 days at a time in the Corolla Hampton Inn. You can get great deals in the off season. It's in the middle of n.o.w.h.e.r.e. and has a private beach.

It's one of our favorite parts of the country! I'm sure you'll find something great.