Menu

Help Me Answer This Math Question, Please!

DD just asked me this and I'm so not a math person- help!

"If you subtract infinity from infinity, would the answer be zero?"

I told her that infinity wasn't a specific number because it goes on forever. I don't know if one can subtract infinity from infinity as a result :confused:

DD just asked me this and I'm so not a math person- help!

"If you subtract infinity from infinity, would the answer be zero?"

I told her that infinity wasn't a specific number because it goes on forever. I don't know if one can subtract infinity from infinity as a result :confused:

Infinity isn't a number, and doesn't follow the rules of numbers. So infinity + infinity is infinity... infinity - infinity could be anything.

Not an answer to your question but a great book about the concept of infinity written for kids: The Cat in Numberland. In the book the idea of infinity is presented as the hotel where all the numbers live, where all the rooms are full, but there is always room for one more.

i have no answer but i applaud your efforts to find one. My dc have asked the same or very similar questions and i haven't taken the time and effort to answer correctly :tongue_smilie:

Not an answer to your question but a great book about the concept of infinity written for kids: The Cat in Numberland. In the book the idea of infinity is presented as the hotel where all the numbers live, where all the rooms are full, but there is always room for one more.

:iagree: My dc enjoyed this

I have no answer but I have heard from a mathematician that teaches gifted kids at the UW that there are different sizes of infinity. From that, I would think that infinity - infinity would not necessarily equal zero.

A set can be countably infinite (like the natural numbers, integers, and rational numbers... all are the same size) or uncountably infinite (like the real numbers).

I'm off to check out Cat in Numberland now :)

i have no answer but i applaud your efforts to find one. My dc have asked the same or very similar questions and i haven't taken the time and effort to answer correctly :tongue_smilie:

Normally, I ask DH the quant jock these kinds of questions but he was in a meeting so I couldn't call him.

I put The Cat in Numberland on hold at our library, thanks for the recommendation!