Menu

Question for gluten-free people

I am making a meal for a friend who is gluten-free. I am making a bean soup, and thought I might make some kind of bread (corn bread?) to go with it. Are any of the gf mixes on the market any good?

Thanks!!

Anne

Many restaurants make cornbread by simply doctoring a yellow cake mix. It is a sweet and cake-y corn bread. You could find a recipe for that on-line, and use a GF cake mix. Many grocery stores now carry the GF cake mixes in their cake mix aisle, next to the sugar-free mixes.

If you go the scratch-made route, remember that a variety of flours mixed together mimic wheat flour best. Since you don't normally cook GF, you may be better off getting a GF "baking mix" that already has more than one flour in it rather than purchasing separate items.

Have fun with it,

Sandra

This isn't the cake type cornbread, but it is really good.

If you like it sweet add some sugar. I have used up to 1/2 cup sugar with out a problem.

Ingredients

2 cup Self raising corn meal

1 1/4 cup Milk

1 medium Egg

1/4 cup Shortening

Instructions

Preheat oven to 450°. Put shortening in 8" iron skillet and place the skillet in a hot oven for 5 minutes.

Crack 1 egg into a clean mixing bowl. Add cold milk and beat. Add self rising cornmeal and mix until smooth. Remove shortening from the oven and pour into the batter and stir. Pour batter into skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes.

This one is good:

1/4 cup sorghum flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

1/4 cup potato starch

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

¼ cup sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

¾ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

¼ cup shortening (not butter)

2 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

1 cup yellow cornmeal

Preheat the oven to 425°

Combine the flours by sifting them into a large bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir.

Cut the shortening into the flours, the way you would when making a pie dough. You should end up with walnut-size pieces in a sandy flour.

Combine the eggs and milk in a small bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Stir with a rubber spatula until everything is combined.

Stir in the cornmeal, whisking fast, until it is just combined. Do not overstir.

Pour into a greased 9 by 9 by 2-inch pan. Slide it into the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sides of the cornbread are slightly shrinking from the pan and a toothpick comes out clean.