Menu

From Rod & Staff 8 to Saxon Algebra I?

Is this a doable jump for a fairly math adept child?

I have personal reasons for wanting DS to use Rod & Staff Arithmetic this year (instead of Saxon Math 8/7 which I'd normally use) and I'm wondering if he'll be able to jump from Rod & Staff 8 straight into Saxon Algebra I or TT Algebra I next year which will be his eighth grade year or if I'll have to use a pre-algebra program.

Instinct says, "Eh, he'll be fine." But I've already had one child who couldn't "jump" right into Algebra I, even WITH pre-algebra. But then again, it may have just been THAT child.

Weigh in?

As Ellie said, taking the Saxon placement test is a great idea.

Personally, I'd get 8/7 now - would be great if you could borrow one - and just give him the tests and see how he does, or at the least let him look through it on his own. If there's things that weren't covered, or are done differently, then stop there and fill in any gaps. The beginning of Algebra 1 does have some review too, but I'd want a solid placement into algebra before I'd skip 8/7 entirely. Don't forget that with Saxon you'll make up time by not having to do a separate geometry.

Has he taken the placement test?

No because....

I don't want to jump into Algebra I right now... I'm thinking ahead.

He's in the seventh grade. I'd *like* to use Rod & Staff 8 this year and then make the jump to Algebra 1. I really want to use Rod & Staff this year for him. That said, I also don't want to end up needing to do Saxon Algebra 1/2 if it's unnecessary next year.

So what I'm asking is not, "Is he prepared to go from Rod & Staff 8 THIS year and into Algebra I?" (Because then the placement test WOULD tell me.) Instead I'm asking:

If I use Rod & Staff 8 this year instead of Algebra 1/2 or Saxon 8/7 am I going to find him incapable of jumping straight into Algebra 1 next year when he's my math capable 8th grader.

Does that make sense?

Well, it only partially makes sense. :-)

I have read comments from many people who said their dc completed R&S's 7th or 8th grade math and were able to go right into algebra.

I still think you should have him take the placement test. :-) Otherwise we're all just guessing here.

My son just finished R&S 8 and passed the BJU algebra I pre-test with flying colors. So...R&S prepared him well as far as I can tell, so far. He also had good scores on the math section of the ITBS test this year. He is not a mathy kid if that helps. But, ds did R&S 6, 7, & 8. I don't know about coming from one curriculum, using R&S 8, and then going to another curriculum. Compare the Table of Contents for Math 8/7 and R&S. That may help you decide.

If you are interested in buying a used set of R&S 8, PM me. I was planning on putting it up for sale as soon as I get a chance.