Menu

Surprising opinions

On yahoo lifestyle a little while ago, I read an article advertising a new hair removal technology - "Benz". The following was one of the comments - I've copied it exactly as written:

"All of this medical stuff is helping humans cheat evolution. Ugly people get surgery to look pretty, hairy people to be hair free, sick people to live longer etc. All the while you people are passing on your undesirable genes for ugliness, hairiness, and sickness. This is bad for humanity.

Without the cheating treatments, you would be left without anyone to reproduce and pass your bad genes onto. YOU PEOPLE ARE A DRAG ON MANKIND."

It made me think of the eugenics "experiments" of the early 20th century, and Hitler's subsequent ideas. Sometimes History is not so pleasant...

I guess I would disagree with that comment, LOL. An "ugly" person making themselves look better has a better chance of marrying and/or reproducing with a "pretty" person, which would introduce a better mix (and a better chance) of "pretty" genes dominating the mix, and making it possible for there to be more "pretty" or at least not so "ugly" people....

Well, I guess we shouldn't brush our teeth, then should we?

Actually I think this is a misunderstandingof Darwin. I think he believed exactly the reverse of this, i.e. that those who survived, were strong, not that the inately strong will survive. In other words, the proof is in the pudding. I am sure I am not articulating this well.

Just because hairlessness is fashionable right now, does not mean that hairy genes should not be passed on to future generations. Being hairy is significantly more versatile than not. As a hairy beast myself I can remove my hair when/if I have a need, my significantly less hairy DH cannot grow extra hair when/if he needs it.

I agree that ugly-pretty combos tend to result in prettier babies than neutral-neutral combos, though maybe pretty-pretty combos do have the prettiest babies.

And being a jerk on the internet genes seem to be everywhere.

Beauty is not a property, it is an attribute - so there we have one of the basic reasoning problems right at the beginning of the quote, mixed up categories. Not to mention that people have been "cheating" in this department ever since the dawn of humanity.

Among other things, the techniques of hair removal from the body have been around not for centuries, but for millennia.

Sick people living longer and better quality lives is good. :001_smile:

And I am not sure hair removal = genetic leg up. After all, isn't that why kilts are so short -- so you can admire the hairy legs (and .... other parts) of the man wearing it? :auto:

On that note, I'll take a nice, furry chest over a freshly waxed one any day of the week. A man waxing his chest = *shudders*