Menu

Child skips words when reading???

My 7yo and sometimes my 10yo skip words when they are reading out loud. They don't seem to notice that the sentence didn't sound right. Often they are the small words like "and, the, what" etc. But sometimes it's bigger words too.

I always stop and tap my finger on the missed word so they go back and reread it. But, I'm wondering if this is normal or if it something I should be more concerned about. Some kind of remedial work? What? Or just keep doing what I'm doing and it'll get better?

Yes, sounds like they are speed reading. My 4yr old does this as well. Their brain is going faster than their mouths. LOL

Just keep reading. Definitely nothing wrong with going back to the word. Some people go back and read the sentence to their child so they can hear it too. Either way its an annoying little habit. LOL

I agree with the previous posters. I use to be super worried about this too. But, then I started to pay attention to my own reading (oral and silent) ... I skip lots of words too. I would certainly check to be certain that their eyes are in perfect running order too. That will help to set your mind at ease.

hth

I try to nip it in the bud. My remedial students are the worst, they are harder to break of the habit.

Depending on how bad the habit is, some remedial nonsense words may be needed. If it is just occasionally, just gently remind them to sound it out; after a few times of this, you can just point at the word.

My daughter now is better than me, she never skips a single word and will catch me occasionally when I'm reading aloud. :lol::lol:

I think this is natural and a sign the child is advancing to the next stage, where we read contiguous blocks instead of individual phonemes/words (speedread) -- just like they started with letters, then CVC, then whole words smoothly....whenever they go thru a developmental growth spurt they'll start messing up a bit as they figure out HOW fast they can go without problems.

Next time you read aloud really THINK about what you are...um, thinking. You are reading AND scanning ahead AND planning intonation AND talking AND listening to yourself....it's just not the same as what you are doing curled up on the couch by yourself, kwim?

I don't think you want to make too big a deal of this, unless you are seeing reading comprehension problems, esp when they read to themselves. On the other hand, I think it is perfectly reasonable to explain that we read out loud and to ourselves *differently*. When we read out loud we may be scanning ahead, but we need to speak clearly, slowly, and with intonation. We can't skip words that we might not even "read" when reading to ourselves. It is a separate skill to regular reading and they need to be aware of that. :D I had that discussion with my 8yo who wanted to read out loud as fast as she can read to herself. :lol:

I think this is natural and a sign the child is advancing to the next stage, where we read contiguous blocks instead of individual phonemes/words (speedread) -- just like they started with letters, then CVC, then whole words smoothly....whenever they go thru a developmental growth spurt they'll start messing up a bit as they figure out HOW fast they can go without problems.

Yeah, I think you're right. My 8 yro is doing this right now, too. I just noticed it a few days ago.