Menu

Anxiety and Pregnancy

This has not been a fun pregnancy for me. None of them are, but this one has been especially frustrating. Just when I think I feel better and am not nauseous or sick to my stomach, I backslide and I feel terrible again. I'm gaining a ton of weight, which I don't usually do in the early months.

Lately, I've been waking up in the middle of the night, unable to breathe. Well, it feels that way. It's probably a panic attack and I can't take anything for it since I generally don't take drugs AND I'm pg. But I honestly cannot take months of this. A few nights, I was able to go back to sleep right away. Now, I'm getting so that I'm afraid to go to sleep because I can't breathe. I had this happen last night. Today, I feel sort of out of breath as well.

I talked with my midwife about this and she recommended more b vitamins and magnesium, thinking that perhaps my adrenals weren't functioning as well as they could.

I guess this is just a rant, as I'm very grateful to be pregnant and am looking forward to a new baby. But I really could do without all the extra drama I create for myself.

I would insist on having a complete thyroid panel test (all of them, not just a TSH). Those symptoms are typical of hypothyroidism.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor, but not for a couple of weeks. The last time I had my thyroid panel done, it was fine, to the surprise of my doctor. I suppose it could have changed since then. The odd thing is that I'm not under stress like I have been in the past.

I have had 6 children, and hormones can have a powerful effect on a womans emotional make-up. This is most likely a physiological need more than a psychological one I agree with your midwife. B-vitamins help your nervous system cope with the overload being thrown at it, while magnesium is a "tension" reliever. Buy a high quality B-complex and take them incrementally throughout the day until you find the right dosage for your body (or follow your midwife's dosage recommendation).

Geo

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been very out of breath (well, I am 6 weeks from my due date - but this is more out of breath than "normal"). My iron has been low which my doc has been keeping his eye on. Maybe I should add in Vit. b and magnesium (at a different time from my iron supplement) too. (Geo, your comment about the nervous system makes me feel so much better! Mine definitely feels overloaded, LOL!)

susie - I hope you get relief soon. I have rough pregnancies too and I really sympathize!

Make sure you have both your hemoglobin AND ferritin tested (both measures of iron) as well as thyroid.

I struggle with chronic anemia--when my numbers are low I struggle with anxiety.

Please get it checked properly.

Thanks for the reminder. Vitamin D is another part of the anemia issue, as well. I'll get that checked, too. My hemoglobin was very low during my last pregnancy, but ferritin was fine. I managed to pull the numbers back up supplementing with hematinic by Solgar. It's all she uses for anemia now.

Thanks again. I'm adding some supps to my regimen and have a couple more on order. I found a good b complex in my cupboard and will start that tomorrow. I tend to have a hard time holding b vites, but haven't had that issue since last year. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

It'd be nice if all of this was easy.

Oh, susie, I loved, adored, cherished being pregnant with every one of my kids. But I swear I was also probably mentally ill throughtout most of it. Those pregnancy hormones are killers not to mention all the vitamins and minerals going to the sweet little leach growing inside of you. You aren't alone. I hope you feel better soon.