Menu

Trouble with number recognition - suggestions??

diaperjoys

Can ya'll flood me with ideas??

My 5.5yo is having trouble recognizing numbers. He does great with letters (learned them via Letter Factory video), is beginning to read, but can't for the life of him remember what 6,7,8 & 9 look like. He can write them, he can count well, he can figure out how many balls of yarn are in a basket, but he doesn't know which number is which.

We've done flash cards, matching dot patterns to numbers, etc. I'm out of ideas! What would you do???? Oh. He's currently at about week 7 of BJU K5 Math, and does very well except for this one difficulty. I don't want him to continue until he can get over this little glitch....

Also, you could have a number of the day. Bake cookies in the shape of the number. Read that many picture books. Post the number all over the house. Give him that many m&ms if he writes the right number. Do a scavenger hunt with numbers pasted on things. ie. "Go to number 9. Look inside the book." Then have a big "9" somewhere on the bookshelf. See how many times he can find the number 9 in some of his books.

Lots and lots of repetition. Here are some ideas that I've used with my girls.

You can also use a number chart and each day count the chart to a certain number. Then ask him to find the numbers on the chart.

Hopscotch is another good game for number recognition.

Print out a fish template and write the numbers on them. Have him go fishing for numbers. You can make a rod with some yarn a magnet and a wooden spoon. Attach a paper clip to the fish and have him tell you the number. If he gets it right he keeps the fish. If he gets it wrong he has to throw the fish back into the 'pond' (on the floor).

Print out these flashcards and play some card games.

Leap Frog also have a numbers DVD too.