Menu

OOP Kingfisher as low as $17 at Amazon....

Rhondabee

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1856978621/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1211466575&sr=8-2

This doesn't come up as much as it used to. But there are some of us who really believe the old Kingfisher is much easier to outline from, while avoiding political correctness (painting every great history figure as "good").

I paid about $90 for mine (I didn't know it was OOP, and was trying to follow the recs in the WTM first edition).

Anyway, there are quite a few available for under $30, so thought I'd let you know.

:001_smile:

Rhonda

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1856978621/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1211466575&sr=8-2

This doesn't come up as much as it used to. But there are some of us who really believe the old Kingfisher is much easier to outline from, while avoiding political correctness (painting every great history figure as "good").

We have the new version (red cover) but don't tend to use it as much as we should/could. Any thoughts on whether purchasing the cheapest options there on Amazon ($16.50 + shipping) would be worth the money? I could consign the newer edition, I suppose, and recoup some $. Just not sure how much "better" the OOP version is. :confused:

There is a still newer version of the red one, I understand.

I prefer the old one from a style standpoint. The new one has less content--it is not as enjoyable to read because it is so summarized and choppy. It is also markedly more difficult to outline, again because it is so summarized already. I like the timelines in the older ones--they preserve that 'meanwhile, back at the ranch' feeling that is so crucial in world history.

I would say that they are both written at about a 5th grade level.

I never use the red one at all--probably should get rid of it.

I've always wanted the earlier version after looking through a friend's copy, but I no longer buy books listed in "acceptable" condition because sometimes they're way worse than even that -- missing/torn pages, serious water damage affecting the print, etc. etc. The description of the $17 would rule it out for me. It sounds like it's a in pretty bad shape, frankly!

oh good - I think I'm going to like the old one better. GVA- there were 8 or 9 other ones for sale for $16/17. Now there's just the one left. I'm with you on the acceptable....acceptable to whom? I usually only get good or very good books on there. Of course, with $4 shipping, a book really has to be cheap to even make it worth it :tongue_smilie: