Menu

What Is Your Contribution to Society?

I've been reading about "making an impact" lately. It's not exactly encouraging me, LOL, as I don't feel I'm making an impact on anything, except perhaps this desk chair. :glare:

I truly believe that one can never know the impact she has made on another, or to others. I also believe that everyone makes an impact and everyone contributes something to society; whether it's good or bad, is the real issue LOL.

I can think of a number of people who have impacted my life in one way or another, simply by going on about their natural course. I can't necessarily tell you their names, or even the context of our interactions, but I can say with certainty that there are people walking around who have impacted me and don't have any clue that they have (or that I even exist, in some cases).

I value people who donate blood; who serve their communities and families; who donate hours to coaching youth sports; et cetera. These people contribute so much to our society, but I'd argue that an equal contribution to society is to be far less visible and obvious ... to simply go on about one's life, sharing heartaches and struggles so people know they're not alone. Passing on gems of wisdom. Et cetera. These things, whether directly or indirectly, make a tremendous impact on others - an impact we're not always privy to or aware of.

I'm sure in the course of your time at WTM you've impacted someone's life, and you don't even know it. Think about how far your life expands beyond WTM and be assured that you're contributing to society ... offering laughs when someone needed one, commiserating with other women so they don't feel alone, and so much more.

To answer your question, that's how I feel I best contribute to society. I'm just me, and I share me with others in a variety of ways - some big, some small, sometimes as the good example, sometimes as the poor example.

I do feel like *trying* my best to raise good and God loving children is enough. I try to think of others and how to help them, support our food pantry, donate blood, stop if someone is in need. I have wanted to help in other real and physical ways but it seems that right now that is not to be(after some failed attempts at this I have realized I should perhaps just wait and see what opportunities present). I cook for our Priests and will be teaching PSR this year. I have helped many with the transition to allergy/intolerance friendly diets and made huge differences in introducing people to the ideas of healing through diet, significantly improving the lives of those children and their families. Last but not least I do think to pray in and of itself is important, the biggest change starts with ourself.

Maybe I'm just feeling cranky today, but this question irritates me. (Not you, just the question. :-)

:lol: Actually, the question irritated me, too, so much that I threw the book against the wall (it was a question in one of those stupid "what have you done with your life" books). Yeah, I hate it when I hear that question, because it's like a gnat in the room.

:tongue_smilie:No guilt intended, I promise. I just wondered what others' answers might be.

I struggle with this. The kids are basically all I do. I feel like I should be doing more, not so much for society but God. Right now my circle is very small.

Meriwether, I happen to know this is not true of you. :glare:

HIVE MIND: Listen up -- This sweet person sent us boxes of stuff when we were struggling last Christmas, sent my children beautiful NEW Christmas dresses, and presents that they have played with all year long. She sent this to us, a family personally unknown to her, out of the kindness of her heart. Also, she recently loaned us a box load of curriculum and sent another box of books the girls are reading.

There. I said it. T-----, you do more than change the baby's diaper all day, as sweet as she may be. Your world is larger than that, and less mechanical, because you have a faithful heart. We have been touched by your obedience to the Spirit.

Edited by Sahamamama

My contribution is that I'm not a menace to society. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the laugh. I like this one! :D I had a boss once who worked like crazy. When I asked him why he stayed so busy, he told me that it was the only way for him to stay out of trouble. ;)

I don't feel I need to contribute anything to society beyound being a stable well-adjusted member. I am kind to those around me, I help neighbors in need, I educate myself on political issues so that I can be a responsible voter, I raise my children and run my home. I support my husband so that he can do his job, pay our taxes, we donate our time and money to charity.

I mean, I volunteer my time. I donate blood, I support our local food bank and library, I pick up the trash on the sidewalk outside my home and I keep my up our house and property, I buy local, I donate used items to children's shelters, I teach my own children good values. But I realized during a discussion (a polite, thoughtful one) that I no longer feel the need to justify how I choose to "contribute." It's enough that I am a stable, educated, involved citizen. (I'm not saying others feel that they must somehow justify themselves. That's just how I always perceived that question when I was asked in the past, and my own conclusion. :) )

Cat

:iagree: This says it best. Yes, I agree, and I think that's why the original question (in the book I read) bothered me.

I thought, "I'm breathing my own air and baking my own beans, what do you mean contribute?"

What do you feel is your "contribution to society?"

I'm raising four educated, well-behaved children.

Our family has housed three families who needed temporary housing. We've also opened our home to people who just needed a meal or an overnight stay.

As a doula, I've supported eleven families during their births.

When we are able, we donate money to causes we believe in.

I've been accepted to midwifery school and hope to one day serve families as their midwife.

I think that there are many ways to define "contributing to society." You could define it from a social-responsibility standpoint, from an environmental standpoint, etc. Our culture tends to value some definitions more than others.

Anyway, as a Christian (and Christians can have different definitions of "contributing to society," too), I believe that my highest priority is to believe in, serve, trust, and obey God. If I do those things and follow His plan for my life, then I will be contributing to society in just the way He wants.

At this point in time, I am a wife who is currently holding down the fort while her husband works 1000+ miles away. I am the mother of four children; one has special needs. I have homeschooled all of my kids at some point. I support the missions work of my local church (which includes local outreaches such as a food pantry, a crisis pregnancy center, and a program to drive the elderly to doctors' appointments). I am a law-abiding citizen who participates in the democratic process by making myself aware and voting. My dh and I sponsor a child through a relief organization.

I don't do these things because they contribute to society, per se -- I do them because I believe they're what I'm called to do. But I think that all of them, in their own way, do contribute to society.

In my job in the military, I feel like I contribute a lot (in ways I can't tell you about. ;))

I've been part of the creation and raising of 3 amazing daughters that may change the world some day.

I am very politically active and try to help out the country (and thus, the world) that way.

My children! Right now I think dd is a major contribution. She just completed her paramedic training and during her externship she's saved twelve lives (cardiac arrests, anaphylaxis, stroke, bleed out trauma, etc.) and countless more patients - including a man in solitary confinement at the prison - have received loving, compassionate, merciful, care. So, I see her as a huge contribution to society and I have three others up and coming whom I am excited to see what they do with their lives.

I used to have a top-notch music studio and I specialized in music therapy for disabled children...particularly OCD and anxiety disorders, Aspergers and Autism, and Fetal Alcohol/Fetal Drug effect-syndrome. I also had a spina bifida student and a 12 year old boy with schizophrenia. Though I loved my "normal" students, my favs were my therapy kids. I no longer teach music because home schooling takes up so much of my time, but I hope to contribute in that manner again.

I am a 4-H leader and superintendent and I assist with a ministry called "Little Lamb" which sends relief aid to orphanages in Ukraine, Russia, and Moldova.

Once per year our church has a bridge day to the community in which low income families can get free hair-cuts, groceries (healthy stuff and fresh produce from everyone's gardens) backpacks full of school supplies, health screenings, dental screenings and a year's worth of toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash, free clothing, counseling both spiritual and professional mental health through a private counselor that donates his time and then finds ongoing assistance for individuals through community mental health, car washes, and free oil changes for single mothers. I organize and run the grocery and school supply division.

Sometimes it feels like I do a lot, and other times, not so much. But, I do feel that I make positive contributions to my community and my world.

Faith

My children! Right now I think dd is a major contribution. She just completed her paramedic training and during her externship she's saved twelve lives (cardiac arrests, anaphylaxis, stroke, bleed out trauma, etc.) and countless more patients - including a man in solitary confinement at the prison - have received loving, compassionate, merciful, care. So, I see her as a huge contribution to society and I have three others up and coming whom I am excited to see what they do with their lives.

Faith

Faith, I remember when you bragged, I mean posted about this (kidding). ;) I thought it was amazing then, and still do. Your daughter is a treasure, as I'm sure all your children are. Thank you for your "contribution." :001_smile:

I've struggled with this too on and off during my sahm career. I guess how I'm come to think of it is, if my family were to get up and move out of state, would anyone notice we were gone? Would anyone miss me? If yes, then I've contributed to society.

It doesn't take much. Just before our last move, dh came home surprised to have been stopped in the street by an old guy who walked past our house a few times a week. "I hear you're moving out of town," said the old guy. "Uh, yeah," said dh. "For a new teaching job, or something else?" asked the old guy. I guess he would have missed exchanging pleasantries with the kids and I, since he'd bothered to remember some actual details of what we'd chatted about.

Other than that, I don't know exactly what I contribute to society. Some people are genuinely shocked that I care so much about my education and I hope that rubs off on them in some way.

You give us Mammas with little ones faith that our kiddies are not automatically destined to become real life versions of the Bratz dolls simply because they are younger than us! When you have babies, you'll feel the value in that :D You help us remember that we are not evil for expecting our kids to grow up, even if our relatives dump "let kids be kids" on us at every family gathering. Especially when those "kids" they refer to are in their 20s. :ack2:

What do I do, these days, to contribute?

~In a local way, I help update the Australia/NZ SCA awards database. It is only a small thing, but it saves people the irritation of not being able to find what they are looking for, and some of those people are instrumental in keeping the organisation running. It's a place for many people to belong, and belonging is good. :)

~I send books to a school in Kenya each Christmas.

~I'm pleasant to checkout chicks. If you don't think that is a contribution, you've never been a checkout chick. :D

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801