Menu

Is this pencil grip a problem?

grace'smom

Is it alright to let DD keep this type of pencil grip or should I push harder for the correct grip? It's been a struggle that I'm starting to tire of fighting.

That is exactly how my dd insists on holding a pencil!!!!

ETA: My dd is 9, so I lost that fight a long time ago! I tried and tried. Her handwriting is fine though. It just looks so uncomfortable to me.

DD the Younger has a similar grip, though perhaps a bit more relaxed? (It's hard to tell from the picture.) She draws for at least an hour a day and has no problems with written work. I've never heard her complain about hand fatigue.

That's what my son does! I have been trying to teach him the "proper" way (at least what I think is the proper way) and nothing gives. I told his PS teacher and she said it was O.K. I still think it's a strange way of holding the pencil, so I am not giving up.

My daughter, 6, holds her pencil the same way!! I am always trying to correct it, but she is an avid drawer and loves doing copy work. I'm glad you posted a pick! My daughter also writes or forms her letter(unless I'm supervising) from the bottom up. I have handwriting without tears but she seems to struggle with the different grip.

I found this homeschool moms website http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com/shoulder-exercises-for-kids.html

We have been working on some of these exercises, especially with my 5 year old lefty.

Tribemama

DD the Younger has a similar grip, though perhaps a bit more relaxed? (It's hard to tell from the picture.) She draws for at least an hour a day and has no problems with written work. I've never heard her complain about hand fatigue.

She has fine motor issues and she presses down too hard. I'm not sure how to fix that issue, but I wondered if maybe the grip is a battle worth fighting. It's actually the same way I hold a pencil... :blush: I have tried to tell her I am learning the new way with her, but it doesn't help. I don't want her to hate handwriting because I'm constantly correcting her.

She has fine motor issues and she presses down too hard. I'm not sure how to fix that issue' date=' but I wondered if maybe the grip is a battle worth fighting. It's actually the same way I hold a pencil... :blush: I have tried to tell her I am learning the new way with her, but it doesn't help. I don't want her to hate handwriting because I'm constantly correcting her.[/quote']

My ds10 does the thumb wrap as well. His writing is neater and he doesn't press as hard when he doesn't thumb wrap. I bought him one of these (he hates it), and told him that I'll only make him use it if I bust him wrapping his thumb.

I did have an OT evaluation done on him, and the thumb wrap concerned her (not the two finger grip).

My ds10 does the thumb wrap as well. His writing is neater and he doesn't press as hard when he doesn't thumb wrap. I bought him one of these (he hates it), and told him that I'll only make him use it if I bust him wrapping his thumb.

I did have an OT evaluation done on him, and the thumb wrap concerned her (not the two finger grip).

So the grip is OK but not the thumb part? DD had OT when she was younger but "graduated" at 4. They weren't concerned about grip at that time but more sensory balance type things.

My son also has the wrapping thumb like that. Drives me nuts. He sometimes presses too hard, although I showed him the difference between what his handwriting looks when pressing hard and what it looks like without, and he understood. Just can't get rid of that thumb!

I don't think I'd fight the grip, but as for pressing too hard, one way to work on remedying that is to try using mechanical pencils. The lead won't tolerate the hard pressing and breaks. My son learned quickly not to press so hard.
:iagree:

When I was teaching the kids how to hold a pencil, we practiced by writing with a very tiny piece of chalk on a slate. If you use a tiny piece, it forces you to hold it properly. We have not had pencil grip issues since doing it this way. This is a technique from Handwriting Without Tears, btw.