Menu

Slow moving, kid friendly typing program

Staceyshoe

We decided to try learning keyboarding over the summer. This morning I put ds in front of BBC's Dance Mat typing, but it didn't work. He quickly became frustrated by trying to learn the first 8 keys simultaneously. Is there something else that moves slower? I learned by first practicing "f" and "j" and then moving on to other keys after those were mastered. I think something like this would work much better for ds. Do you have any recommendations?

You could try Peter's Online Typing course:

http://www.typing-lessons.org/preliminaries_1.html

This is free, and it goes more slowly than Dance Mat. If you don't care that it is sort of boring, it may work well.

My kids also like Alpha Munchies Typing Game from abcya.com if you want to look at that. If it is a game, it may work:

http://www.abcya.com/kids_typing_game.htm

You could try Peter's Online Typing course:

http://www.typing-lessons.org/preliminaries_1.html

This is free, and it goes more slowly than Dance Mat. If you don't care that it is sort of boring, it may work well.

My kids also like Alpha Munchies Typing Game from abcya.com if you want to look at that. If it is a game, it may work:

http://www.abcya.com/kids_typing_game.htm

Can you explain how to play the second game? I tried it, but I'm confused. Are you supposed to type the letters on the space ship or the letters under the little characters dropping? I tried both ways. It will let me type the character under the first one that drops, but no others.

Thanks!

Type to Learn is what my son is using. He has fine motor issues and has very poor muscle memory. I have heard a number of people who had children evaluated for dysgraphia say that this is the program that was recommended to them, so I snatched up a used copy on ebay. I don't think my son has dysgraphia, but I knew he would need tons of practice and repetition. I'm letting him move through the program as slowly as he likes and after months, he is on lesson 10, which is fine with me as long as he continues to progress.

Homeschool Buyers Coop is also selling this program now.

Lisa

My son (almost 7) loves Read, Write and Type at talkingfingers.com. It introduces one letter at a time. The letters are presented as phonograms, so it reinforces phonics and spelling. There are phonemic awareness games, sentence dictation, and opportunities to free-write "emails." The characters are all a bit silly, and my ds loves to beat the bad guy, Vexor.

After he's done with this program, he wants to do Type to Learn Agents of Information.

Type to Learn is what my son is using. He has fine motor issues and has very poor muscle memory. I have heard a number of people who had children evaluated for dysgraphia say that this is the program that was recommended to them, so I snatched up a used copy on ebay. I don't think my son has dysgraphia, but I knew he would need tons of practice and repetition. I'm letting him move through the program as slowly as he likes and after months, he is on lesson 10, which is fine with me as long as he continues to progress.

Homeschool Buyers Coop is also selling this program now.

Lisa

Do you have Type to Learn 3 or 4?

Thanks!

Angela

Can you explain how to play the second game? I tried it, but I'm confused. Are you supposed to type the letters on the space ship or the letters under the little characters dropping? I tried both ways. It will let me type the character under the first one that drops, but no others.

Thanks!

Yes, you just type the letter of the alien that is coming down to try to break through your wall to eat your lunch. As you type each letter on the space ship, they disappear. Once you type all of the letters, then the space ship disappears, too.

Do you have Type to Learn 3 or 4?

Thanks!

Angela

I bought Type to Learn 3 because that's what was available on e-bay and buying the program new was kind of pricey if I remember correctly. If HBC had their offer available when I was making my purchase, I probably would have bought TTL4. TTL 3 seems a little outdated, but it's still getting the job done.

Lisa

My son (almost 7) loves Read, Write and Type at talkingfingers.com. It introduces one letter at a time. The letters are presented as phonograms, so it reinforces phonics and spelling. There are phonemic awareness games, sentence dictation, and opportunities to free-write "emails." The characters are all a bit silly, and my ds loves to beat the bad guy, Vexor.

After he's done with this program, he wants to do Type to Learn Agents of Information.

Thank you for this recommendation. Looks like something we will use.

I can't decide it I HATE this program of LOVE it. It is great is all regards. Teaching letter sounds at the same time. Getting the kids to do dictation.

But my son learnt/did the first 8 letters for the demo. He then had to redo them when I bought it. It now seems to have not saved his progress and looks like he has to redo them, and that the software has no way WHAT SO EVER to save progress.

I emailed the company explaining my problem. But maybe you can help me. HOW? do you save progress?