Menu

Math help for working memory issues & music

Guest JulieAJNelson

Guest JulieAJNelson

Hi there. My 7 yr old & soon to be 9 yr old daughters both have math challenges. They have working memory issues, visual processing issues, dyspraxia & sensory integration issues. They're both kinesthetic learners. The 9 yr old has a remarkable memory for music & can play by ear (struggles reading music because of visual processing issues). Using manipulatives & number lines help. I've purchased the Lindamood Bell math book, so I'm going to read that for additional assistance (oldest daughter went thru LMB last summer for oral/reading comprehension). Since both girls love music, it's a motivator, and my oldest daughter has a strong memory connection with music, I was trying to incorporate it into math. Does anyone know if there are any math programs that incorporate music or promote kinesthetic learning? Thanks for your help.

:bigear:

We have had *some* success with Math Mammoth. I have to add manipulatives. Right Start was OK for a while. Same with MUS. It is still a problem and she is still delayed (doing 4th grade math when she's a rising 6th grader). I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions.

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamiesue

Yllek,

Thank you so much for your response. Both dh and I are math people, but dd has slow processing speed, weak visual and auditory memory so math is very difficult for her. I am frequently baffled as to how to help her b'c it comes naturally for me. I am going to look into these resources.

We do use manipulatives since we are currently doing RS, but I am going to look into adding more variety. My only concern is that if there are too many choices I could see her getting confused and frustrated and not knowing where to start.

Hi there. My 7 yr old & soon to be 9 yr old daughters both have math challenges. They have working memory issues, visual processing issues, dyspraxia & sensory integration issues. They're both kinesthetic learners. The 9 yr old has a remarkable memory for music & can play by ear (struggles reading music because of visual processing issues). Using manipulatives & number lines help. I've purchased the Lindamood Bell math book, so I'm going to read that for additional assistance (oldest daughter went thru LMB last summer for oral/reading comprehension). Since both girls love music, it's a motivator, and my oldest daughter has a strong memory connection with music, I was trying to incorporate it into math. Does anyone know if there are any math programs that incorporate music or promote kinesthetic learning? Thanks for your help.

I don't know of math programs that specifically include music, but we've use math songs as supplements. You can find a variety of addition and subtraction fact cds in teaching catalogs. One of my personal favorites is the old "Multiplication Rock" produced as part of the Schoolhouse Rock series by ABC as public service announcements when I was a child.

If you have discovery education, there are a lot of song downloads for math, and you can see which ones best work for your DC. I've got my carschooling list on my blog (link in my .sig) that includes some of the ones we've used, but honestly, it's simply what works best for your child and you can tolerate.

Does Shiller use music or come close to what you want? RS specifically doesn't use music because they say it goes into the language, not math portions of the brain. I think you've hit on the primary problem, that math is inherently about visualization, their weakest part. Have you gotten them evaluated by a developmental optometrist yet? What yllek is getting at is that vision therapy rebuilds their function and then their visual processing, allowing the academics to have a fighting chance.