Menu

Recommendation for Christian Worldview History....PLEASE SHARE

sheryl

I'm thinking about changing our curricula a bit. The link below is a thread I started on the general board.

Please share your middle and high school christian history programs. I'd like to know what you like and dislike (if any) about it. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC to the pros and cons. Thanks. Remember grade 7 and up.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292730

I'll bite. :D

My dd is in 7th this year and we are using My Father's World Rome to the Reformation. It is most definately Christian world view.

Last year we used MFW's Creation to the Greeks. It.was.awesome. We got the big picture when it comes to biblical history intertwining with 'regular' history.

What I don't really like about it...I wish that MFW scheduled more books like SL does...we just LOVE a literature-heavy history. We used the appendix recommendations from MFW to add in more literature, but I had to make them fit into the schedule myself. Not really a big deal...but inconvenient for me as I really don't like scheduling. :) This year I spent a couple weeks going through and scheduling in reading to go with RTR for the entire year so I don't have to think about it.

I have only used two years of BJU's elementary history, but I thought it was very good, thorough, Christian world view, with fun activities in the student workbook. My dd loved it! But I don't feel like she retained nearly as much as the years we've done literature based history.

Thanks for sharing. I'm beginning to see the value in using living books for the sake of not only content, but memorization as well.

We've been using Abeka and it is a solid program, but it's textbook and not very alive. We have MOH 1 and 2 so I'm thinking about supplementing with TQ, Beautiful Feet OR HOD...but need to learn more about these.

I need something that is literature-based as she loves to read. I won't worry about tests, but would like for her to finish a few projects: oral report, written report, skit/drama, song, art project or whatever else.

You could use MOH 1 and 2 using the booklist from A Book In Time website to supplement. Actually, that is what I plan on doing with my little guy in third grade next year. : ) And I think MOH has CD's that have crafts on them...but I don't know about reports and such. Have fun!

I'm planning to use Ages of Grace this year. But it is brand new so I can't give you a thorough review yet. It is Charlotte Mason in style/approach, using living books rather than textbooks. It was authored by an Orthodox Christian, but she says it's usable by other Christians as well. And what's nice about that is that she is including the history of Christianity in the East, which doesn't normally seem to get as much attention. It is a complete family program which includes reading schedules for the family to do all together, as well as independent readings for elementary, middle, and high school levels.

I can't give pros and cons or a review, but have you looked into Tapestry of Grace?

Hey! I would have been interested in TOG, but from what I've gleaned, in general, on this board it is time consuming/high prep time or maybe it's other factors....so I decided against it.

I'm planning to use Ages of Grace this year. But it is brand new so I can't give you a thorough review yet. It is Charlotte Mason in style/approach, using living books rather than textbooks. It was authored by an Orthodox Christian, but she says it's usable by other Christians as well. And what's nice about that is that she is including the history of Christianity in the East, which doesn't normally seem to get as much attention. It is a complete family program which includes reading schedules for the family to do all together, as well as independent readings for elementary, middle, and high school levels.

I'll check into this. Do you have a link? Author's name?

You could use MOH 1 and 2 using the booklist from A Book In Time website to supplement. Actually, that is what I plan on doing with my little guy in third grade next year. : ) And I think MOH has CD's that have crafts on them...but I don't know about reports and such. Have fun!

I plan on keeping and using my MOH, but I was hoping for something else to go with it. Will check into the website.

Thanks all!

I'll check into this. Do you have a link? Author's name?

Sorry! I was typing on my iPad at the time, and I haven't figured out how to copy and paste with it! It's here:

Ages of Grace

I forgot to mention, the only time period that is available right now is the Middle Ages, but she's working on the next one.

Have never used HOD for that age but if it is as good as the lower years it will be great!

We loved Diana Warings History Revealed for that age. See samples at answers in genesis.

ALso Notgrass at notgrass.com .

I am too sleepy to give details, but hopefully the samples will help you.

My DD loved MOH!! She enjoyed the writing style and retained the information really well. Have you joined the yahoo group for both volumes? There is a ton of information on both. Here are the links... MOH 1 & MOH 2. There are several schedules for using MOH with other programs.

You could also check out Illuminations. It is a program that was designed to go along with MOH, created by Bright Ideas Press, the MOH publisher. I have not used it myself, but I know that it includes literature selections with guides and bible study that follow along with MOH. I believe it also includes schedules for using other curricula for grammar, spelling, vocab, and writing. You can see the samples on their website.

Have never used HOD for that age but if it is as good as the lower years it will be great!

We loved Diana Warings History Revealed for that age. See samples at answers in genesis.

ALso Notgrass at notgrass.com .

I am too sleepy to give details, but hopefully the samples will help you.

Thanks Susie. I'm checking into some more today!

My DD loved MOH!! She enjoyed the writing style and retained the information really well. Have you joined the yahoo group for both volumes? There is a ton of information on both. Here are the links... MOH 1 & MOH 2. There are several schedules for using MOH with other programs.

You could also check out Illuminations. It is a program that was designed to go along with MOH, created by Bright Ideas Press, the MOH publisher. I have not used it myself, but I know that it includes literature selections with guides and bible study that follow along with MOH. I believe it also includes schedules for using other curricula for grammar, spelling, vocab, and writing. You can see the samples on their website.

I'm checking into HOD, Beautiful Feet, TQ and staying with MOH and Abeka. I may stay with Abeka and have my dd read it like a literature book. Since I do have MOH 1 and 2, I could use MOH and take your suggest to pick and choose by topic those areas to delve into by reading the living books.

Thanks!

We used Voyages by Concordia Publishing House for Bible.

They have a one semester course for 7th grade called Church History. It starts with either the Ascension or Pentecost (I forget which) and goes to around 2004 or so. It was excellent for that age plus or minus a year or so. It was nice for DD to study this after having completed SOTW, so that she already had a good overview of history.