Menu

Breast pump recommendations?

Anyone who has experience with pumping, can you recommend an electric pump that works well and is fairly inexpensive? Does such a thing exist? I have a dear friend from my time in Romania who now lives in upstate New York and just had her baby. She was 35 weeks, 3 lbs. 15 oz., and she will be in the NICU for at least a couple of weeks. My friend is trying to pump for her, but is having a hard time getting enough with the manual pump she got from WIC. She has the kit for the Symphony she used in the hospital, but obviously she can't afford the $1500 to buy one of her own. :)

If I could, I would buy her a Pump In Style or something similar, but I don't have any extra money in the budget right now. What I do have are around $40 in Amazon gift cards I have saved from Swagbucks. So does anyone know of a decent electric pump (single or double, doesn't matter) that I could get off Amazon for $40-50? The only one I have seen is a First Years pump that has pretty lousy reviews.

Thanks in advance!

Beth

ETA: I forgot to mention, if you know any organizations in upstate NY (near Albany) that might offer assistance with getting a pump for a low income family, that would be helpful as well!

Does she have insurance? Some insurance companies will cover the cost of a rental while the baby is in the NICU. Also she can talk to the social worker assigned to the NICU as well and they may be able to get her a low cost/free rental. We used to help mom's get pumps when I worked as a secretary in a NICU.

Also if those don't work I had good luck with the Lansinoh Double pump. Not as strong as a pump in style, but would be much better than a manual pump. It's the same thing as the Almeda Purely Yours pump.

ETA : Just looked up the Lansinoh pump and it is at $140. I bought it last year for $85! I don't know why the cost is so high right now.

Edited by *Jen*

For the budget you have, you might want to look for a used Medela Pump In Style. Someitmes on Craigslist or eBay you can find them for under $100.

I opted to buy one (new) rather than rent the hospital medela since when I added it up, renting and returning would be around the same price for as long as I figured I was going to likely use it again with second baby.

I have the backpack style and it's been great - easy to travel with, easy to clean and can work in the car (lighter outlet) or with batteries. It's the only type I can recommend because the lesser price ones stink for suction and/or hassle factor.

WIC here gave my SIL a nice electric pump, you could also rent from the hospital for pretty cheap. I think medela has (or did have) a single electric that is supposed to be as good as the pump n style. You might look for one of those.

Avent has one as well, I don't know how well it works, but I know it is cheaper.

Do not buy a used pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, breathing... LOL

The pumps that you rent can be used by multiple people and are sealed in a special way so they can be cleaned. Your average pump that you can purchase is not like that (unless you can specifically get documentation that says otherwise!) so don't buy used or borrow a pump unless you are comfortable with possible exposure to the previous user's milk.

That said, there should be provision for her to have a hospital pump while her baby is in NICU either through insurance or WIC or some sort of program like that. The breastfeeding coordinator at the hospital or the NICU nurses or a social worker at the hospital should be able to get her set up. If they don't she might be better off with a good manual pump. Cheap electric pumps tend to be really frustrating.

so long you but the tube and contact part new. you should be fine with used. if you see how the pump works (at least Medela) it has a membrane and the pump drove the membrane in and out to get the pressure. so, clean the membrane and get all contact and milk through part new. I will agree find one on ebay

Do not buy a used pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, breathing... LOL

The pumps that you rent can be used by multiple people and are sealed in a special way so they can be cleaned. Your average pump that you can purchase is not like that (unless you can specifically get documentation that says otherwise!) so don't buy used or borrow a pump unless you are comfortable with possible exposure to the previous user's milk.

That said, there should be provision for her to have a hospital pump while her baby is in NICU either through insurance or WIC or some sort of program like that. The breastfeeding coordinator at the hospital or the NICU nurses or a social worker at the hospital should be able to get her set up. If they don't she might be better off with a good manual pump. Cheap electric pumps tend to be really frustrating.

Edited by jennynd

I think you need to figure out if pumping will be an occasional thing or if it will go on for months. If it is only occasional or for a short period, then you ca go for a manual or an inexpensive.

I had a very good mendela and I think we paid over $100 for it.

I had a friend who checked into if it was possible to use my mendela - with buying all new parts. I would have given it to her free. It was not possible. She talked to the company and and to a couple of other sources and finally concluded it was not safe.

From the Medela website: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/14/can-i-buy-or-borrow-a-pre-owned-breastpump

Can I Buy Or Borrow A Pre-owned Breastpump?

Many mothers have asked if they can safely sell, purchase, or use a previously owned breastpump. Medela is concerned about the health and welfare of breastfeeding mothers and their babies. There is evidence that bacteria and certain viruses may be transmittable through breastmilk. For this reason, it is not advisable to use a previously owned, personal use breastpump, such as Medela’s Pump In Style. However, it is safe to use a Rental pump, such as Medela’s Symphony or Lactina pumps. The difference between personal use pumps and rental pumps is as follows:

Personal Use Breastpumps Personal use pumps that you buy at the store are personal care items, much like a toothbrush. Personal use pumps should never be resold or shared among mothers. The Medela Pump In Style Advanced has an internal diaphragm that cannot be removed, replaced, or fully sterilized. Therefore, the risk of cross-contamination associated with re-using a previously owned pump such as the Pump In Style cannot be dismissed, even when using a new kit or tubing. Similarly, the Medela Single Deluxe breastpump has an internal motor that cannot be removed, replaced or fully sterilized. Another consideration when deciding to borrow or even lend a previously owned electric pump is the pump’s motor life. A high quality electric double pump might last through the breastfeeding of your second child, or even several children. However, like computers or other electronic products, an electric breastpump has a limited lifetime. Medela guarantees its pump motors with a one year warranty. If you use an electronic pump that has been used for more than one year, there is no guarantee that it will generate as much speed and vacuum as it did earlier in it’s life. By using your own pump, you can compare the pump’s performance with each child. However if you borrow a pump, you cannot gauge its performance to ensure it is operating at full capacity.

Rental Pumps

Rental pumps such as Medela’s Symphony, and Lactina are designed for multiple users. These pumps have special barriers and filters to prohibit milk from entering the pump motor, which prevent cross-contamination. In addition, each renter uses her own personal set of breastshields, containers and tubing, to ensure the safe use of these pumps.

Different mothers have different pumping needs and economic means. For this reason, Medela pumps come in a variety of styles and prices. There are also grant programs available for mothers in need. For information on this and Medela products, ask your local rental station. For product information, availability and pricing, visit Breastfeeding National Network (BNN) or call 1- 800 TELL YOU to find a local rental/retail location. Customer Service is available at 1 800 435-8316 for product questions.

<end quote>

La Leche League and the IBCLC would also tell you the same thing. No used breast pumps unless they were manufactured for the rental market and have been properly sterilized. Especially if you are buying one from a stranger! It is not worth the risk. Especially with a vulnerable premie!

Sorry, don't mean to rant. You should get me started on car seats! :lol:

I think the risks are minimal with a used breast pump, but you ARE talking about a NICU baby.

I would suggest she rent for now. I believe it is $60-75 a month :( However, she won't have any trouble getting a rx for a breastpump if she has a NICU baby, and then the top pumps (that you would buy to own) are the Ameda Purely Yours and the Medela Pump in Style.

Has she asked the hospital's LC for suggestions? Maybe there are other options or programs available.

I have an Ameda Purely Yours, which is similar to the Medela Pump in Style, only it uses a closed system so it can safely be reused/resold.

I pumped for a year for my NICU babe, who never did get the hang of breastfeeding (he was intubated for quite some time and has palate/oral issues). I rented a Symphony for ten months and when I switched to the lower grade personal pump from the hospital grade pump, my supply diminished considerably.

My insurance covers the cost of a pump rental up to a certain dollar amount. I would look into insurance and WIC and try to get the best pump possible. She should also be able to use the pumps in the NICU while she is there.

I can simply say I do not agree

From the Medela website: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/14/can-i-buy-or-borrow-a-pre-owned-breastpump

Can I Buy Or Borrow A Pre-owned Breastpump?

Many mothers have asked if they can safely sell, purchase, or use a previously owned breastpump. Medela is concerned about the health and welfare of breastfeeding mothers and their babies. There is evidence that bacteria and certain viruses may be transmittable through breastmilk. For this reason, it is not advisable to use a previously owned, personal use breastpump, such as Medela’s Pump In Style. However, it is safe to use a Rental pump, such as Medela’s Symphony or Lactina pumps. The difference between personal use pumps and rental pumps is as follows:

Personal Use Breastpumps Personal use pumps that you buy at the store are personal care items, much like a toothbrush. Personal use pumps should never be resold or shared among mothers. The Medela Pump In Style Advanced has an internal diaphragm that cannot be removed, replaced, or fully sterilized. Therefore, the risk of cross-contamination associated with re-using a previously owned pump such as the Pump In Style cannot be dismissed, even when using a new kit or tubing. Similarly, the Medela Single Deluxe breastpump has an internal motor that cannot be removed, replaced or fully sterilized. Another consideration when deciding to borrow or even lend a previously owned electric pump is the pump’s motor life. A high quality electric double pump might last through the breastfeeding of your second child, or even several children. However, like computers or other electronic products, an electric breastpump has a limited lifetime. Medela guarantees its pump motors with a one year warranty. If you use an electronic pump that has been used for more than one year, there is no guarantee that it will generate as much speed and vacuum as it did earlier in it’s life. By using your own pump, you can compare the pump’s performance with each child. However if you borrow a pump, you cannot gauge its performance to ensure it is operating at full capacity.

Rental Pumps

Rental pumps such as Medela’s Symphony, and Lactina are designed for multiple users. These pumps have special barriers and filters to prohibit milk from entering the pump motor, which prevent cross-contamination. In addition, each renter uses her own personal set of breastshields, containers and tubing, to ensure the safe use of these pumps.

Different mothers have different pumping needs and economic means. For this reason, Medela pumps come in a variety of styles and prices. There are also grant programs available for mothers in need. For information on this and Medela products, ask your local rental station. For product information, availability and pricing, visit Breastfeeding National Network (BNN) or call 1- 800 TELL YOU to find a local rental/retail location. Customer Service is available at 1 800 435-8316 for product questions.

<end quote>

La Leche League and the IBCLC would also tell you the same thing. No used breast pumps unless they were manufactured for the rental market and have been properly sterilized. Especially if you are buying one from a stranger! It is not worth the risk. Especially with a vulnerable premie!

Sorry, don't mean to rant. You should get me started on car seats! :lol:

I agree that it depends on what she plans on doing once the baby is home. If she is going to nurse, I suggest renting one from her insurance, wic, hospital....where ever she can get a good double pump. She must get a double pump!

With my first son, we had latch issues, he was in the nicu for a week, and I was a first time mom with no experience nursing. I ended up pumping with a Pump in Style double pump for a year, with no problems. In fact, I had an abundance of milk from that. With my third son, he was in nicu for 3 weeks and we had major latch problems so I bought another PIS. We got the hang of nursing after he was home for about 2 months, so I should have just continued with the hospital rental.

As far as the little bit of milk coming out, she should feel relaxed and not get frustrated. It does take a few days for it to really start flowing, and in my experiences the double pump really worked well for that. Your body thinks you are nursing twins, and you produce more milk. Also, she will spend considerable less time at the pump which is always a bonus.

I have been renting a Medela Symphony pump since my dd was 3 weeks old. In my state, Medicaid will cover the rental for the first 3 months.

This is considered the "Cadillac" of pumps, so if your friend can rent one, that would be the best solution. Believe me, when a mother has the stress of a new baby, and extenuating circumstances that necessitate pumping, the last thing she needs is a pump that is difficult to work with.

I can get pages of references that caution against getting a used pump, especially if you don't know the mother(s) who have used the pump in the past. But aside from the risk of having dried milk and possibly blood in the interior of the pump containing HIV or yeast or several other things that are passed either through milk or blood, the fact is that for a mom trying to establish a milk supply, especially when her baby is not able to stimulate that supply for her, a hospital-grade pump is going to be much more effective for her. Single-user pumps are less effective than the rentals and lose more effectiveness the longer they are used. So it's worth the effort to try to give this new mom the best possible start with a hospital-grade (rental-grade) pump.

This sweet baby and mama are in my prayers!

I have been renting a Medela Symphony pump since my dd was 3 weeks old. In my state, Medicaid will cover the rental for the first 3 months.

This is considered the "Cadillac" of pumps, so if your friend can rent one, that would be the best solution. Believe me, when a mother has the stress of a new baby, and extenuating circumstances that necessitate pumping, the last thing she needs is a pump that is difficult to work with.

:iagree: I had a dd in the NICU, and I used a Symphony in the hospital (LOVE!!!!!), then some weird one from the rental company (awful--and it was a single! Yuck!), then a used Lactina (not bad at all). For a regular pump, I like the Ameda Purely Yours better than the Pump in Style, but if you can rent a Symphony or Lactina I would totally do that as the best option.