Menu

HWOT for no so great for lefties? Is there something better?

yellowperch

I read here a while ago that HWOT isn't as good for left-handed children as another program or style of handwriting. Can anyone comment on this? I've been planning to use HWOT with my three middle children since my older children used it in school and the results were reasonably good. I like the format and style of the books. But I have two lefties (4th and 2nd) so I thought I'd ask here before placing a Rainbow order for these and some other things.

TIA

Edited by yellowperch

I can't imagine what about it wouldn't be good for lefties. The books are layed out with the model letters/words on both sides, so lefties can still see the model while writing. The book opens flat - no spiral binding. The letter formation is straight up and down, even in cursive.

I plan to use it with my youngest when he gets there, and he's looking like he'll probably be a lefty.

I can't imagine what about it wouldn't be good for lefties. The books are layed out with the model letters/words on both sides, so lefties can still see the model while writing. The book opens flat - no spiral binding. The letter formation is straight up and down, even in cursive.

I plan to use it with my youngest when he gets there, and he's looking like he'll probably be a lefty.

:iagree: I find it to be very good for lefties because of the reasons stated above. My lefty had a lot less problems with it then most of his other curriculum.

I'm a lefty. My dd is a lefty. We used HWOT for printing and cursive. It was fine. Although we eventually did switch to RFH because I didn't like the connections between letters in cursive in HWOt. Really, I don't think there's a problem with any program used for a lefty, as long as you remain flexible. For instance, I have never been able to make a good-looking cursive capital J. Ever. My dd came up with a completely different way of forming it, and now our J's look great! But it's different from anything taught. It works for us. Also, I think you should be flexible about the slant, whatever program you are using. While I don't like the backslant that some lefty programs have (yuck!), I do think straight up and down is fine, or a very minor "normal slant" for a lefty. Lefties generally have to push their pencils to form cursive letters, rather than pull, making it a bit more challenging. Oh! I also think you should be flexible about what grip the lefty is using on the pencil. I say walk a mile in a lefty's shoes before you tell her she's holding her pencil wrong.