Menu

Share your stories with DIVE and AP/CLEP success

Here's a bit of a spin-off from my other post. Thanks to all who are bearing with me. :001_smile:

I'm hoping to get my highschooler prepared to do well on most of the AP and CLEP exams listed below. I'm hoping DIVE can live up to it's claim to do this, if my ds puts in the required effort, of course.

Here's a quote from Dr. Shoreman's blog on the topic:

CLEP Professor is a test preparation program designed to prepare students for select math and science CLEP and AP exams. CLEP Professor is available for CLEP College Algebra, Precalculus, Calculus, Biology and Chemistry, and AP Calculus (AB Exam), Biology, Chemistry, and Physics (B). If a student completed a High School Math or Science course using DIVE products, they should be able to spend a few more weeks using CLEP Professor and then pass the CLEP or AP Exam.

I would love to know if DIVE with CLEP Professor was sufficient in your experience and also if it was NOT. :001_smile:

For science, which is my greatest concern at the moment, I'm currently thinking of this schedule with the DIVE CD's and BJU texts where recommended and Saxon Physics.

9th Integrated Physics/Chemistry

10th Biology with AP exam

11th Chemistry with AP exam

12th Physics with AP exam

Any and all information and help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

ETA: He would not take BOTH CLEP and AP where both are available. I'm not that insane. Probably where there are 2 choices we would go with the AP.

:bigear::bigear:

Anyone? How about BJU Biology, Chem, Physics with DIVE, DIVE CLEP Professor as prep for the SAT 2 subject tests?

My girls are going to take the SAT-II in October in Bio, after completing DIVE Bio w/ BJU this past year. I'll let you all know how it turns out. They have worked through two test prep books, and they said there was just a bit that they hadn't covered in Biology, and they are getting in the 770s and 780s on their practice tests. My older dd said that she felt the BJU prepared her very well. We'll see once it's the actual test, though. :D

You shouldn't need the CLEP Professor for an SAT-II test, technically.

My girls are going to take the SAT-II in October in Bio, after completing DIVE Bio w/ BJU this past year. I'll let you all know how it turns out. They have worked through two test prep books, and they said there was just a bit that they hadn't covered in Biology, and they are getting in the 770s and 780s on their practice tests. My older dd said that she felt the BJU prepared her very well. We'll see once it's the actual test, though. :D

Did you guys use CLEP professor? I"m curious what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on using BJU Biology with DIVE this year with my 9th and 10th grade boys. I have a question maybe you can help with...I have been told to order just the textbook from BJU and use everything else from DIVE. Then I have read on the forum to order everything from BJU text, etc and use the DIVE as supplement. My problem is that currently on the DIVE site, they only offer the 3rd edition for Biology even though BJU offers 4th edition Biology. I spoke with DIVE yesterday and they said that after August 9th, I would be able to request a syllabus for 4th edition but they didn't give me a time to expect it. Apparently he is planning on it in the near future. After using these items, would you recommend I go with 3rd edition or order the 4th and wait for the syllabus to be prepared at some point? I don't know if it would really make a difference. I am just looking for a science curriculum that is easy to plan, execute and follow thru with and hoping these two meet those goals. thanks for you input.

Here is a thread a while back where I got alot of helpful information on DIVE Biology.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217561

Maybe that can answer some of your questions.

I plan on using the 4th edition Bob Jones with the DIVE. I figure I can get started easily with the 3rd edition syllabus (maybe just page numbers changing slightly... haven't recieved my BJU order yet so don't know for sure)

I plan on possibly ordering some of the dissection specimens and materials from Homesciencetools just for the hands-on experience of dissection.... I feel it is like a high school rite-of-passage!

I mentioned in the other thread, I plan on having my 9th graders take the AP Exam this year. We will do some additional reading in the approved AP book and use study guides. I'll let you know how it went in next summer!!

Here is a thread a while back where I got alot of helpful information on DIVE Biology.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217561

Maybe that can answer some of your questions.

I plan on using the 4th edition Bob Jones with the DIVE. I figure I can get started easily with the 3rd edition syllabus (maybe just page numbers changing slightly... haven't recieved my BJU order yet so don't know for sure)

I plan on possibly ordering some of the dissection specimens and materials from Homesciencetools just for the hands-on experience of dissection.... I feel it is like a high school rite-of-passage!

I mentioned in the other thread, I plan on having my 9th graders take the AP Exam this year. We will do some additional reading in the approved AP book and use study guides. I'll let you know how it went in next summer!!

Are you only ordering the text from BJU? If you don't mind me asking, why are you ordering dissection from Homesciencetools vs. BJU? I am just trying to figure out what to order from them vs. other places along with what edition since I plan on using it along with DIVE.

Are you only ordering the text from BJU? If you don't mind me asking, why are you ordering dissection from Homesciencetools vs. BJU? I am just trying to figure out what to order from them vs. other places along with what edition since I plan on using it along with DIVE.

I ordered the text through BJU because they had free shipping. I believe there are sites that you can get BJU books at a discount. I haven't really looked at the BJU dissection stuff. I was thinking Homesciencetools because I could pick and choose which specimens to order. I do not plan on making that decision until we are underway with the course and I will let my dds help decide what they want.

I only ordered the book. Plan on using the DIVE CD for everything else and will also be doing the additional work to prep for the AP exam.

Wish I could be of more help. Hopefully this will work out as planned!:lol:

Grace

• 2 weeks later...

FYI,

Cathy Duffy compares the Bob Jones 3rd and 4th Editions of Biology here:

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/biology-bjup.htm

In the review she comments about the main difference between the editions, "...evolutionary explanations and history have been expanded so that students will be familiar with the information they are expected to know for standardized tests."

Sounds great to me! We are going to use DIVE Biology with BJUP Biology and plan to purchase the 4th Edition. Looking forward to another great year with DIVE!

Hope this is helpful in decision making,

• 1 month later...
Guest TheDayofReckoning

I decided to take the Clep exams in order to get the credits I needed for graduation. I first did research on which exams were average to easy in order to make things less difficult for myself. I used this and other forums as a source of advice and to listen to experiences. I've heard a lot of great results with the exams but I have recently taken the Clep US History 1 and 2 and failed both.

The first exam ( US history 1 ) I studied for about 3 weeks during the summer with the REA books, which advertise after reading and doing the practice questions you should be well prepared for the exam. However, while taking the exam I felt a lot of the information was not in the book. I failed with a 47.... 3 points away from a passing grade of 50.

I studied for almost a month before taking the US history 2 exam. I studied very intensely, with extra resources and even used the practice CD that comes along with the REA book. When taking the exam today 9/9/2011, in New York. I felt again that I knew only about 40% of the questions and was just totally clueless with the other questions. The questions just seem to be overly intricate. I often found myself in disbelief that such minor and seemingly unimportant details were expected to be remembered. I scored a 48 this time, 2 points away from a passing grade.

I"m definitely not the smartest person, but I'm definitely not the dumbest. I am a B average student (not that genius skills are needed when you are just basically memorizing history facts). I haven't found anyone on these forums who have not had success with these tests and I do find it peculiar.

My goal was to not only get credits needed to graduate but also save money. So far I have spend over $100 dollars on study materials and paid about $250 for both tests, without acquiring any credits. Of course, this is very frustrating when I took the appropriate steps, time and money to ensure success on these test.

I just felt I should share my story.

Thank you,