Menu

Naturopaths Homeopaths and Traditionalist PLS help!

I have a pinched nerve in my neck. It gives me pain (it's been up to a, oh, 13 at times) numbness and tingling (constant, at times) down my right arm. All the way to the fingertips. And of course, I'm right handed. I've seen the x-rays; the Dr. told me I have the neck of a 70 yr old (I'm 46). I took a total of 2 rounds of oral steroids; The first one worked, the second one didn't touch the pain. I had a steroid epidural. It worked for about 8 wks. The symptoms are coming back.

The x-rays show that there is NO. CARTILAGE. between 3 bones. One other disc is almost gone. There are bone spurs.

DH and I are already talking about having the surgery and being done. The Dr. said he'd try 2 shots. My friend wants me to go to her Naturopath to find the 'root of the pain'. DH looked at me like I'd grown a 3rd eye and said, 'I think the root of this pain is that D$%n horse you fell off of 30 yrs ago.' I tend to agree with him. A bit of background: I fell off a horse when I was 16. I was actually unconscious for a minute or two. And I've had lower back pain ever since. My parents, in the true sense of traditional 70's parents gave me aspirin and an ice pack and the words 'you'll get over it'.

My big problem with all this is a friend I love dearly. She is actually mentoring me right now in spiritual and physical ways, so this whole naturopathic thing is somewhat of a touchy subject. I don't want to shut physical health off. She is TREMENDOUS resource and is willing to share and advise etc etc. BUT, I also need to get this dealt with (If I were 70, I might try to avoid the surgery, but I'm 46 and I have 2 little kids that I want to LIVE with. Not WATCH, from the sidelines!).

Naturopathic and Homeopathic friends, is there a point where you guys recommend Traditional Western Medicine? And if so, when? And help me find a way to explain to her WHY I'm taking this route.

I know she is looking at my weight as the issue. (Let's just say I could lose half and be healthy). But this is in my neck, and even the Dr. said yes, the weight affectsmy back, but my neck is not weight bearing, this is just a lack of cartilage.

To be honest, I would prefer to NOT have surgery, but I really really need to be rid of this pain. Especially with it being my RIGHT arm/hand/shoulder. Oh, and it hurts more if I'm leaning forward or laying on my stomach. I'm a stomach sleeper. So, to sum this up. IT SUCKS.

I have a lot of experience with naturpathic physicians, including those who use homeopathic remedies. Yes, they try to get to the root of the problem. But don't you know the root of the problem? That was shown on the x-rays. Perhaps a chiropractor or an acupuncturist might be able to help you. I would insist that any chiropractor be one who looks at x-rays and has good answers on what to do in your particular situation. I would not go to one that uses a "one-size-fits-all" approach to all neck pain. The acupuncturist could help with pain, but I don't know much about it.

You have definite PERMANENT damage in your neck.

I LOVE naturopathy/homeopathy but in this situation I would not rely on them. You might find something that will cover up the pain--but nothing that will un-do the damage-- or keep it from progressing!

Shots offer only TEMPORARY relief. They do not 'heal' the area (just reduce inflammation to take some pressure off spinal cord).

Chiro treatment may give you TEMPORARY relief...(align disks to keep pressure off spinal cord).

Physical therapy may give you TEMPORARY relief (by strengthening support muscles).

There WILL be a point of no return-- a point where the damage is too great to fix surgically (my MIL is dealing with this now from a similar injury).

I encourage you to explore ALL options even 'Western' ones!

--

I had a back injury (blew a disk in lower back). I used chiro and physical therapy and tried 'natural' treatments... I found only temporary relief. As the pain increased I was finally desperate to seek out an Orthopedic surgeon who recommended surgery. I still hesitated and waited an additional YEAR in major PAIN until I finally caved and scheduled surgery.

During the surgery the Dr found a bone spur that was poking INTO my spinal cord (the source of my relentless pain). This bone spur did NOT show up on my many scans and x-rays. If I had not had surgery I would not be walking today!

My pain was gone as soon as I woke up from surgery. Recovery was tough--but 2 years later I'm still pain free and have FULL mobility--something I have not had since the accident!

Naturopathic and Homeopathic friends, is there a point where you guys recommend Traditional Western Medicine? And if so, when? And help me find a way to explain to her WHY I'm taking this route.

Yes. For me, that point would be after exhausting my other options (acupuncture, chiro, homeopathics, diet, etc.) and/or when my intuition told me that a more western medical approach was indicated. So in your shoes, I would personally be trying some things before heading into surgery. But that's me. If you feel that surgery is the right course of action for you, then you just need to stand up and say as much. Tell your friend that your instincts/intuition are telling you that surgery is the right option *for you* (if that's what you're saying here). She should respect that.

Cin, have you ever been to a naturopath before? It's not really clear to me from reading your post, and I don't want to assume in error.

Could just be the way I read it.

PS, it is entirely possible to have a naturopath and traditional doctor work *together* on issues. My doctors work together. Just letting you know it's not an "either or" black and white deal. They can work in harmony.

Thanks for all the replies. I have never been to a naturopath, and I have nothing against them. I am considering going to one for other reasons, but I wanted some input regarding the shoulder. I thought DH and I were on the right track, but my friend is really pushing me to see the naturopath regarding the pain. I knew my HIVE friends would have the answers I needed! :D