Menu

I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy ....

and I LOVED THEM!!! I thought for sure I would think they were mediocre at best since they are Young Adult, but wow, they are amazing! I may even read them again, and I NEVER read things more than once!

Question for the hive -- If you like The Hunger Games, you'll love _________. (please fill in the blank)

Edited by BramFam

You might like a young adult book called "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman.

"Set in the future, the second civil war is fought over abortion. To end the war, a compromise is reached that ends the practice of abortion but creates an alternative called "unwinding." Between the ages of 13 and 17, parents or guardians can choose to have their children unwound, which involves having every part of their bodies harvested to be "donated" to another person so, technically, they don't really die. The complex and compelling plot follows three teens whose stories intertwine when they escape while on their way to the harvest camps. Fifteen-year-old Connor's parents can no longer control him. Lev, a tithe, was raised by religious parents for the sole purpose of being unwound. Risa, a ward of the state, is a victim of shrinking budgets since she is not a talented enough musician to be kept alive. Neal Shusterman's engrossing novel (S & S, 2007) is narrated in an even cadence and matter-of-fact tone that suits the author's straightforward narrative style. His wide array of voices makes the involved story line, which is left wide open for what is sure to be an interesting sequel, easy to follow. This gripping, thought-provoking novel is guaranteed to lead to interesting discussions about abortion, adoption, organ donation, religion, politics, and health care.—Karen T. Bilton, Mary Jacobs Memorial Library, Rocky Hill, NJ

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title."

and I LOVED THEM!!! I thought for sure I would think they were mediocre at best since they are Young Adult, but wow, they are amazing! I may even read them again, and I NEVER read things more than once!

Question for the hive -- If you like The Hunger Games, you'll love _________. (please fill in the blank)

Maybe the Tomorrow series?

Young Adult is a mixed bag, much like the "middle school" genre. But there are gems indeed. For sheer fun though not fantastic writing, I also enjoyed James Patterson's Maximum Ride series.

I'm up for any adult selections -- in fact, while I loved The Hunger Games, YA doesn't really appeal to me. :)

I'll look into Unwind and the Tomorrow series at the library. Thanks! Oh, and I've been thinking of reading the Maximum series because I'm a big Patterson fan. Guess I'll be reading YA more than I thought! ;)

You might also like The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk:

Starhawk's epic tale, set in 2048, California. In a time of ecological collapse, when the hideously authoritarian and corporate-driven Stewards have taken control of most of the land and set up an apartheid state, one region has declared itself independent: the Bay Area and points north. Choosing life over guns, they have created a simple but rich ecotopia, where no one wants, nothing is wasted, culture and cooperation are uppermost, and the Four Sacred Things are valued unconditionally. But the Stewards are on the march northward, bent on conquest and appropriation of the precious waters. It’s the love story of Bird the musician and warrior and Madrone the healer, and of Maya, Bird’s grandmother, ninety-eight year old story teller, whose vision provides a way for them to defend their city from invasion without becoming what they are fighting against.

And this one's a much older book, but did you ever read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood?

"In a startling departure from her previous novels, respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be. This powerful, memorable novel is highly recommended for most libraries. BOMC featured alternate. Ann H. Fisher, Radford P.L., Va.

Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title."

ETA: Oh, and I really loved Stephen King's Gunslinger/Dark Tower series... have you read those??

Edited by NanceXToo

Divergent and Delirium are both very good. These are both first books in planned trilogies by different authors.

http://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Trilogy-Veronica-Roth/dp/0062024027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310565162&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Delirium-Special-Lauren-Oliver/dp/0062112430/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310565220&sr=1-1

ETA:

Unwind was mentioned above. That was an excellent book and also the creepiest thing I've ever read. My 15yo didn't find it creepy at all, but my 18yo agreed with me. We all thought it was very good.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I'd look at Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents and see if they look like something you'd like. It's a somewhat similar premise, in that it centers around a young woman starting a resistance movement in a dystopian future. In case the titles are confusing, these aren't Christian novels.

I can't comment on how good it is yet, because I just started it this morning, but The Ship Breaker is a YA dystopia that is getting great reviews.

I second the recommendation for O. Butler's stuff.

But I posted here mainly for a warning. There was a scene in Unwind that I found very disturbing. The most disturbing scene I think I have every read in a book and I read some weird books.

If you wouldn't mind posting or pming me what was disturbing, I'd really appreciate it - I keep reading so many mixed reviews on this one. Thanks.