Menu

Affordable and GOOD virtual school/distance learning?

I haven't had the time needed to devote to making the decisions about high school curricula or programs because we had a bit of a flood here and our lives are in disarray. However, I need to be getting my letter to the school district within the next couple of weeks, and am feeling panicky. I've been researching various virtual school options for my 9th grader, but nothing is really fully working for me. I'd LOVE to enroll him in k12, but we don't have an extra 7 grand sitting around to throw at that program. There are no PS/virtual charter options for us in this state. I found Keystone, but then I came on here and saw a number of negative things. I saw a reference to Apex Learning, which certainly looks more affordable, but I don't really know anything about that program. We tried Oak Meadow for 8th grade, and DS was not a fan. He enjoyed doing the Plato science lessons and those through the KY virtual school (which uses the Plato platform.) I had thought of just using the KYVS program for the fall; read that they are upgrading some of their programs and adding more honors/AP classes, which is encouraging. It certainly would be the most affordable of the options, running probably $300 when the HSBC runs a deal. I don't know; I guess I am just hoping someone could throw out the name of a great online/distance/virtual program that is going to require minimal involvement from me and be both engaging and challenging for my son. Any ideas?

Apex is good, but no diploma, and I cant remember if they do transcripts or not???

But it is a rigorous great program, matter of fact K12 still uses them, but does not admit to it.

Veritas PRess Scholar Academy is 1/3 the cost of K12 and very rigorous and great program, they just got accredited and offer diploma program and transcripts.

Keystone is not bad, just not great teacher involvement, if you have a kid that works good independently it will work.

Thanks for the input. It looks like Apex will send a grade report but does not keep transcripts. I can put together a transcript myself, so that's not a huge deal. My school district allows homeschoolers to earn a diploma from our local high school if graduation requirements are met, so the fact that Apex is accredited would probably help with that process should we decide to go that route. My son does learn well independently and mostly needs something or someone to keep him on track (other than me!) so I won't rule out Keystone just yet. I'll keep digging...thanks again.

The Apex pricing is kind of hard to find. If you go to "Contact" there is a hyperlink to a website under "Virtual School." Click on that and it takes you to the virtual school site; go to "enroll" and there is a link for tuition and fees--but I'll put the link in here to make life simpler. :)

http://alvs.com/Enroll/Tuition_and_Fees.htm

Tuition is $350 per semester. Kind of salty.

I actually had looked at Seton, but I do want something strictly secular. If they didn't require four years of religious studies I would consider it, but I don't think that would work for us.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

University of Missouri and Indiana University bith have online high schools and grant diplomas. The University of Alabama has online high school courses, but I am not sure if they grant diplomas.

I do have a lengthy list of online class resources. If you would like a copy, please PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Hey well I go to keystone and it really is a good school. Sometimes I believe they give to much "busy" work like 33 paragraph long definitions and 7 essay questions but thats for an AP . Anyway the regular and honors courses are very easy but you learn a lot. There is just not all these essays and projects that suck time into a black hole never to be found again. If your kid can not be independent DO NOT DO IT! I really mean this it will be torture for him and for you. You will have to be on top of him the teachers here do not contact you EVER... unless you contact them. Now if he is independent or you are willing to watch him go for it. I have had to learn how to be independent on this system and most of the keystone kids I have talked to said that their freshman year was a big mess up. The would fall behind and mess things up mainly because its hard to get used to it. I wish you the best and if you would like to see example keystone assignments look at my blog (I think I posted them there:confused:)