Menu

Quick question....

Just curious if others with a K student MAKE them sit down to do schoolwork if they aren't in the mood?

Ds5 was super gung-ho the last couple of weeks but apparantly hit burnout because this morning he is being really whiny about doing school work. I'm of two minds but because I haven't homeschooled a K'er before...

I'd like to just be flexible with him because he seems to work in spurts and I think it will all average out in the end but on the other hand I don't want to set the precident that he gets to dictate whether or not he does school.

What do you all think?

I know how you feel. I'm a bit divided on the issue as well. This year I had a Ker and PreK. For the most part, I let them decide when they wanted to do school. If it went too long (it rarely did), then I'd step in and make them do school. It was really easy to get them interested in school again. All it took was switching things up a bit.... making something more hands on, printing a neat new worksheet online, adding a fun craft, etc..

I was worried about sending the wrong message about how school works. I didn't want them to get in the habit of thinking they could do school or NOT do school when they chose. At some point school work is not an option, and I think that's something they have to learn to live with. At the same time, I didn't want to push too hard in the early years and have them really dislike school.

My boys both tried putting up a fuss at some point. I compromised with them. I would dial back everything but reading instruction and math. History and science are icing on the proverbial cake at that age, IMHO.

IF he continued to fuss about it, I added on more. That quickly killed the fussing and taught them to be grateful for what little I had originally planned for them.

I've been thinking about this too. I think I will require my k-er to do SOMETHING each "school" day, but if it seems like she's losing interest, making silly mistakes or whatever we will do light stuff: stories, reading, one lesson on something, etc. That way we're still doing school but it's not overwhelming.

I was worried about sending the wrong message about how school works. I didn't want them to get in the habit of thinking they could do school or NOT do school when they chose. At some point school work is not an option, and I think that's something they have to learn to live with. At the same time, I didn't want to push too hard in the early years and have them really dislike school.

:iagree: Ds4's friend (age 5) who did preschool (she will be public schooled) taught him that "school" means playing play-dough and coloring...and nothing else :glare: I might not mind as much, except he's learning to read and I don't want that to be de-railed.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I agree with those who say to do something everyday. I think the phonics and math are going to be a necessity each day, even if it's only 15 minutes of each. I think though that I could probably get him to do the work without complaint if I don't pull out the actual book\paper and just present the concepts on the back door (window) or something. Tricky momma!

At kindergarten age it SHOULD be ten to fifteen minutes, then move to something else, whether that is actual moving around or singing a song, or coloring, or listening to a book. You can get a lot done in fifteen minute sections if you are faithful to keep to them. I'd even stretch that concept to first and second grade as well, just by extending the time by five minutes or so.

Don't be bothered if you have an hour lesson to teach that way. I routinely took my longer math lessons and broke them up over those fifteen minute sections, taking ten minute breaks for my little boys to go see how fast they could get up and down a tree, then back in for more of the lesson.

Before age 6, I would keep it VERY light (and did, when dd was 5). Like others, we did phonics, math, and some hands-on science, along with cuddle-up science reading on the sofa. When we started doing math, there was no agenda - we mostly used manipulatives like Cuisenaire Rods, dry split peas, coloured math frogs and a scale, etc. Later, I introduced the Miquon book, and then our current math books. I also started HWT, but we took it VERY slowly - so slowly that she advanced far beyond the first book before we had a chance to get through it, so I chucked it and moved her up in to the next book.

Before age 5, I would not have a regularly scheduled time for anything, including reading (except me reading aloud!).