Menu

Advice from the experts, please!

fourcatmom

I have been reading about curriculum and doing my own research on the internet for what I want to use next year. I also read the thread about "how much" and sometimes it does feel like I have chosen quite a bit but I am also really excited for what I have picked. I don't know my work schedule yet and that will play a huge role in what I actually use and what I table or use as a supplement but for now...this is what I am thinking.

I am going to place my order tomorrow. Do you have any last minute advice or suggestions about what I have picked before I spend about $1,000.

A little extra info...we just started HSing in January, so this will be our first full year. I am really excited and I know this is the right decision for them.

4th Grader

Monday/Wednesday

(Math) TT5, Logic Safari

(LA) Shurley English 4, HWT Cursive, Spelling

(Htry) Our Golden California, A Child's Geography

(Sci) Zoology

(other) Spanish for Children

Tuesday / Thursday

(Math) TT5, Word Problems

(LA) SE 4, Daily Trait Writing

(Hsty) OGC, Evan Moore Geography

(Sci) RSO - Life

(other) Artistic Pursuits (1st sem) Music (2nd sem)

Friday Geography / Science Labs

Field Trips

5th Grader

Monday / Wednesday

(math) TT6, Logic Safari

(LA) Shurley English 5, Cursive HWT, Spelling

(Htry) All American History, Our Child's Geography

(Sci) Zoology

(other) Latin for children

Tuesday / Thursday

(math) TT6, Word Problems

(LA) SE 5, Daily Trait Writing, Word Roots

(Htry) AAH, Evan Moore's Geography

(Sci) RSO - Life

(Other) Artistic Pursuits (1st sem) Music (2nd sem)

Friday

Geography/Science/Zoology Labs

Field Trips

Daily Literature, Devotionals, Artistic Pursuits, Our Child's Geography, Zoology and RSO-Life will be studied together with most labs in the afternoons or Fridays

The Science and Zoology I don't know if that will fit into my schedule during the week but I am willing to do it on Fridays or Saturdays too and just have those be science days. I really need to see the books so that I can plan a pacing guide and set up the actual lesson plans to know what will work and when.

Other curriculum that I am buying

The Long Story Short - 10 min. devotionals

Lab Mice - game

Rummy Roots - game

USA Map Puzzle

The Star Spangled Banner book

Library of the State - California

Zoology Lab Kit

AP - Art kit

Right Start Math - Manipulatives Set (still not sure)

Thanks for your input! I have been working on this for months! :tongue_smilie:

Is that Apologia Zoology? If so, I think you should pick either RSO or Aplogia or you will be too bogged down. Both have additional book suggestions if you need more to add. Work through 1 of the programs and then if you finish before your summer break, start the other one.

And I would pick one geography program as well but that probably isn't as time consuming as science can be.

I had not considered using the same level for Shurley English. I just assumed they would be at different levels and it was a program that their CT from our Charter recommended to me and I liked what I saw. I will have to look into that.

Science...yes it is Apologia Zoology and we were going to do the fist book. The only reason that I was going to try and do the other is that I didn't think the zoology would meet all the state standards for Ca. Science that I have to meet being linked to a charter. I was thinking I would add in the RSO where it fit and maybe just spread it out more...but that has been one of my questions.

TT - I don't know why I am draw to the math manipulatives and I really didn't think they would need them but it seems like a good resource to let them be able to touch and work with math materials. I don't really know how I would incorporate them other then maybe explaining things using them and or just letting them work with the materials. I guess, I want them to be just as strong and confident in math as I do in other subjects and somehow having math materials around the house appeals to me. Not sure if that even makes any sense? I know they are expensive though.

Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it and I will have to go back and re-look at Science and SE.

And the geography...I think the EM books will add with their History better then the other and already have one book. I like what I see about OCG and will have to look at it to see how it can fit. It might have to tabled for later but I love what I see in it. I was thinking of more trying to pull parts out of it to use or I will save it for next year and do it with both then.

Edited by fourcatmom

Science...yes it is Apologia Zoology and we were going to do the fist book. The only reason that I was going to try and do the other is that I didn't think the zoology would meet all the state standards for Ca. Science that I have to meet being linked to a charter. I was thinking I would add in the RSO where it fit and maybe just spread it out more...but that has been one of my questions.

Ah! That's a different story. I don't know anything about meeting those types of requirements. Spreading it out and picking around might be ok.

Something you might consider to save money is downloading the free Mr. Q Life Science to fill in where it is needed. http://eequalsmcq.com/ClassicScienceLife.htm At least you can tell if you can plan something without an extra purchase. :)

My dd did SE3 last year and I am skipping her to SE5 for 4th b/c SE4 looked like it was mainly repetition. I have read other posts saying to do every other year of SE so that is what we are trying.

I had never heard that. Last year we missed a lot due to them leaving ps and it all happened very suddenly. So, some review I think will be okay but I might just need to look into 5th.

I would assume that since you are using it again, you have been happy with the program. Does your child like it?

Ah! That's a different story. I don't know anything about meeting those types of requirements. Spreading it out and picking around might be ok.

Something you might consider to save money is downloading the free Mr. Q Life Science to fill in where it is needed. http://eequalsmcq.com/ClassicScienceLife.htm At least you can tell if you can plan something without an extra purchase. :)

Yes, and I know that's a whole different debate...because I have been guilty of starting one...but it works for us so I am trying to combine what I want with what "they" want and that is why I am trying to combine the two. I love the way the Zoology program looks but I also want the girls to be interested in Science and I don't really know what the labs are for the Zoology, only that they sell kits. It is hard to make decisions when you can't open up the book and really look at it.

It's kind of the same issue with Geography. Evan Moore looks more like something that will fit while OCG is something that I like. Hence, trying to combine the two to create a year's program and maybe even spreading out past the year.

And to be honest, I don't even really know if RSO Life is going to meet the st standards for 4th or 5th grade science. I have to continue to look into that. I have looked at other science programs but I keep coming back to what I see is RSO but perhaps another book would be better

Edited by fourcatmom

Not an expert, but chiming in anyway. :lol:

For the science standards... You could probably just get library books on any topic that isn't covered by Apologia Zoo. That way you don't have to buy anything, but you can still legally check it off as having learned it. ;) Also, I would think a 4th and 5th grader would be bored by RSO Life, as it's meant for grades 1-2. I tried RSO E&S (the sample) for my first grader last year and thought it was a bit easy. Those two are supposedly similar in difficulty.

And the math manipulatives... I felt the same way as you do, but then I realized that my kids don't actually use them at all. :tongue_smilie: I do think it's nice to have an abacus on hand and some base-10 blocks for my youngsters that are still learning the basic 4 operations, and both of those manipulatives are cheap at Rainbow Resource (the Rightstart abacus is HALF the price at RR as it is from RS... same exact "AL Abacus"). I don't know if you'd need them for 4th and 5th grade though. I haven't pulled either out for my 2nd grader since sometime during first grade math. The RS card games are fun for learning facts and such, but do you need them at this point? That seems like a more useful thing for younger kids also, though I haven't really looked at the book enough to see if there's something useful for older kids (I have it - just haven't looked ahead). Maybe someone else will chime in and say you NEED it. :lol: But I imagine you won't need an entire RS manipulative kit. :) If your kids were behind in math and clearly needed something concrete to hold in their hands to understand math at all, I'd feel differently, but it looks like they're on target for their ages, so I'm guessing that they're not struggling?

I know the basis of my problem is that I have to cover certain things and I want to cover certain things...but again I don't want to start a debate on why or why not to work with a charter because it many, many ways it works for us. I have to be creative and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Science is a huge ? for me. To give you an example of what they are suppose to cover in

4th

Electricity, Food Chains, Ecosystems, Health, Rocks and Minerals, Shaping Earth...to name about half of them

5th

Animal Systems, Elements and Compounds, Plant Systems, Health, Investigation (not even sure what that is) Solar System, Weather and Water Cycle..there are a few more

There just doesn't seem to be one program out there that would cover all that and still not kill their interest in Science. I do not want you typical PS type textbook...I also don't think they have had a lot of science being in PS

Not an expert, but chiming in anyway. :lol:

For the science standards... You could probably just get library books on any topic that isn't covered by Apologia Zoo. That way you don't have to buy anything, but you can still legally check it off as having learned it. ;) Also, I would think a 4th and 5th grader would be bored by RSO Life, as it's meant for grades 1-2. I tried RSO E&S (the sample) for my first grader last year and thought it was a bit easy. Those two are supposedly similar in difficulty.

And the math manipulatives... I felt the same way as you do, but then I realized that my kids don't actually use them at all. :tongue_smilie: I do think it's nice to have an abacus on hand and some base-10 blocks for my youngsters that are still learning the basic 4 operations, and both of those manipulatives are cheap at Rainbow Resource (the Rightstart abacus is HALF the price at RR as it is from RS... same exact "AL Abacus"). I don't know if you'd need them for 4th and 5th grade though. I haven't pulled either out for my 2nd grader since sometime during first grade math. The RS card games are fun for learning facts and such, but do you need them at this point? That seems like a more useful thing for younger kids also, though I haven't really looked at the book enough to see if there's something useful for older kids (I have it - just haven't looked ahead). Maybe someone else will chime in and say you NEED it. :lol: But I imagine you won't need an entire RS manipulative kit. :) If your kids were behind in math and clearly needed something concrete to hold in their hands to understand math at all, I'd feel differently, but it looks like they're on target for their ages, so I'm guessing that they're not struggling?

Thank you for those comments...I am really pulled towards buying them but I am not sure they will use them..It just seems like something I should have?

I'm just trying to brainstorm. (I'm not at all against you using the charter program! Really just trying to help.)

Have you considered Sonlight Science? It covers a range of topics at each level (not just the three listed). Look at the Teacher's Guide Samples and it will give you a list of exactly what is covered.

http://www.sonlight.com/science.html

or get a science encyclopedia and start out covering the topics the charter requires and then move on to what you want to do! ;)

I'm just trying to brainstorm. (I'm not at all against you using the charter program! Really just trying to help.)

Have you considered Sonlight Science? It covers a range of topics at each level (not just the three listed). Look at the Teacher's Guide Samples and it will give you a list of exactly what is covered.

http://www.sonlight.com/science.html

or get a science encyclopedia and start out covering the topics the charter requires and then move on to what you want to do! ;)

I do appreciate everybody's help...the last thing I want is to waste money on Curriculum. Some if it, like zoology I will use no matter what but I know it will cover some things. I like your idea!

I think you've given alot of thought to this and have done a wonderful job of planning it out.

IMO, Zoology gets old doing it all year long anyway, so doing something else to break the monotony would work well, but don't be surprised if you don't finish it all. I'd also recommend checking Sonlight Science but not buying it - it only adds a schedule and worksheets (unless you want or need those of course). You could see what books they recommend for each topic you need to cover and then just purchase those. Or maybe look at TOPS and a science encyclopedia as someone else mentioned. The science experiments in Zoology aren't really huge experiments. I'm not sure I'd even call them experiments, but more like activities. Some fun, some not so much. :) I, too, like having the kit.

If you use Evan Moore Geography along with the same topics as A Child's Geography, it might reinforce each other, but again, don't be surprised if it takes longer than normally planned.

I agree with others about the RS manipulatives. I think a few of them might work very well, but many of them I just don't think you'll need. I'd evaluate each one separately and make sure you think they'll need/use them. The Abacus is great and we've loved that but the rest are just ok and probably cheaper elsewhere. Check out Rainbow Resources or even Amazon for math kits - they might have a nice big box for cheaper.

You'll realize some things you bought were great and others a waste and save a bit of money for things you didn't realize you might need/want.

Have fun,

I love your list. Even when my kids don't use them, *I* find math manipulatives very helpful for explaining and clarifying. We've used units from R.E.A.L. Science Life to meet B.C. requirements, and have found it a great fit. Hope it works for you, too.

So, I have taken your suggestions to heart and I have looked into Sonlight. I don't know if this is something the school will cover, I will have to check. I do like what I see in Science D package but you also mentioned to not buy it and just piece it together...still trying to figure this out. It does seem that most of the areas that need to be addressed are covered in D for their ages. It also has a good section on water and sea animals so maybe purchasing the Zoology Sea Creatures to supplement would work instead of flying creatures. I think they would enjoy Sea more then Flying but I was going in order.

I really do like the looks of RSO, so if I don't use it now...would I ever use it? As some of you have said, it seems young for my kids. Maybe incorporating the Chemistry level as some point or Earth and Space...I don't know but I like all the suggestions and I am very appreciative of them.

With Sonlight....these books are exclusive to Sonlight, correct? You can't purchase them elsewhere. I really don't think Sonlight is one of our vendors and I can't shell out $200. I do like the program though...I will keep researching these books and maybe just buy the teacher book for myself.

Edited by fourcatmom

I think you've given alot of thought to this and have done a wonderful job of planning it out.

IMO, Zoology gets old doing it all year long anyway, so doing something else to break the monotony would work well, but don't be surprised if you don't finish it all. I'd also recommend checking Sonlight Science but not buying it - it only adds a schedule and worksheets (unless you want or need those of course). You could see what books they recommend for each topic you need to cover and then just purchase those. Or maybe look at TOPS and a science encyclopedia as someone else mentioned. The science experiments in Zoology aren't really huge experiments. I'm not sure I'd even call them experiments, but more like activities. Some fun, some not so much. :) I, too, like having the kit.

If you use Evan Moore Geography along with the same topics as A Child's Geography, it might reinforce each other, but again, don't be surprised if it takes longer than normally planned.

I agree with others about the RS manipulatives. I think a few of them might work very well, but many of them I just don't think you'll need. I'd evaluate each one separately and make sure you think they'll need/use them. The Abacus is great and we've loved that but the rest are just ok and probably cheaper elsewhere. Check out Rainbow Resources or even Amazon for math kits - they might have a nice big box for cheaper.

You'll realize some things you bought were great and others a waste and save a bit of money for things you didn't realize you might need/want.

Have fun,

The zoology kit with RR is quite expensive, over $80...was it worth it to you and did you use it all?

Sorry to keep re-posting but I have checked all the books included in the D package and between RR and Amazon, I can get most of them. I could not find the TOPS 38 Radishes book or the Water book but I don't really know about any of these books except the Usborne one's.

Has anyone used Level D Science with Sonlight that can give me advice about the program, level and materials. The kit also looks pretty basic, so not hard to put together.

The nice thing about the kits (and we got ours at creation sensation I think) is that EVERYTHING came with it down to paper cups, paper clips, string, batteries, anything you could need unless its something you need fresh. If you really think you'll do all of the activities and you'll skip them if you don't have all of the items, then get it. Just my opinion of course. :)

I've used Sonlight Science 3 (I think its called D now). We loved the books, my dd thought the worksheets were ok, my son hated the worksheets. Also you skip around frequently in the books. So 4 pages of this book, skip to 8 pages of these book, then another book, back to the original book, etc. We didn't like that. TOPS you should be able to find on the TOPS website.

I'd also check all of these on homeschoolclassifieds.com - I've gotten some great deals there. I'll PM you as I'm actually going to sell our Sonlight Science D I think.

Oh, and Zoology 2 would be fine here though not needed. You don't have to do the Zoology books in order.

Hope this helps a little, don't hesitate to ask more questions,

So I sat down with both of the girls and went over science, zoology and the math manipulatives just to see what they liked and how they felt about it. They both really wanted to do the Zoology book 2, sea creatures. Neither one of them was very interested in book 1, so for now we will skip it and just do the introduction. They also both overwhelming liked the looks of RSO but the Earth and Space series. They both said that they had covered the topics of Life in school but had not covered all topics of Earth and Space. So, we will be working with these two and anything that doesn't cover state standards or I want to supplement, I will look at the Sonlight curriculum for these add-on's.

Also, they both overwhelming liked the math materials. They both said they used some of them in school and they remember liking them and being helpful. So, we will order it and see if they get used. I was actually a little surprised that they wanted these but they could remember specific teachers that had them and my 10 yo especially sounded really excited to use them again.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions! I found them all very useful. :)

Now...If I could figure out my spelling issue I'd be happy!

Just an update...I placed my orders today. I ended up dropping some materials and it was still expensive...

I am happy with what I did get. I did order the math materials, and the other levels of AAS. I also dropped some of the extras like the word problems and daily trait writing. I can add those later if I need them.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :001_smile: