Menu

Can't win

What kind of people are asking you these questions?

Is it just generalized casual folks in public?

General folks, government workers, and family. Some are honest inquiring questions which I don't mind. Some are snarky.:glare::glare:

And then there are snarky comments related to "uneducated homeschool moms" and comments from a "friend" about how I should let others teach my child. And there are comments on how homeschooling is selfish. I could go on.

Why do all these non-homeschoolers care so much about how my kids are being educated anyway? There are plenty of kids in public education falling through the cracks. They should put their energy into caring about them!

Edited by Wehomeschool

I hate all the questions the girls get about enjoying their summer break, or what their plans for the summer are. We school year-round, and probably do more school during the scorching hot summer than during the rest of the year. The girls start feeling a little bummed about not having a 2 month stretch of nothing to do, or some fab vacation...forgetting that we have the ability to take off school whenever the mood strikes without the fear of 'getting behind'. (We usually don't do school from Thanksgiving until after New Years.) Then there is the 'poor kids' look the adult gives them when the hear about no summer breaks :glare:

Why do all these non-homeschoolers care so much about how my kids are being educated anyway? There are plenty of kids in public education falling through the cracks. They should put their energy into caring about them!

In my view, it's because they perceive your choice to homeschool as a criticism of them, and their choice to put their kids in school. Kinda like how some folks give vegetarians a hard time, assuming that my choice not to eat meat implies a criticism of their choice to do so. Not that I'm speaking from experience of anything. :tongue_smilie:

In my view, it's because they perceive your choice to homeschool as a criticism of them, and their choice to put their kids in school. Kinda like how some folks give vegetarians a hard time, assuming that my choice not to eat meat implies a criticism of their choice to do so. Not that I'm speaking from experience of anything. :tongue_smilie:

Now that is interesting. I'm a vegetarian as well and have always been so and I think I've only received one negative comment about it in my entire life. :tongue_smilie:

If my kids are out and about during a public school day I get questioned why they aren't in school. If my kids are in school when public school is out I get asked if I ever give my kids a break. :glare:

Me, too!

Weirdest thing last year: I caught flack from tons of people because I didn't let my daughter have every snow day that PS kids got (our school district missed over 12 days due to bad weather/road conditions). Um, she went to DISNEY WORLD for 10 days during the "school year". We do actually have to learn in a formal setting sometimes! Sheesh!

Now that is interesting. I'm a vegetarian as well and have always been so and I think I've only received one negative comment about it in my entire life. :tongue_smilie:

I was born and raised vegetarian, and received very few negative comments until I moved to the American Midwest/South. Now, here, people are forthcoming with the negative (well - maybe "concerned" is the more appropriate term) comments and questions.

Meat-eating, here, is cultural; identifying oneself a veg*n is fightin' words! :tongue_smilie:

We hear it all the time, too. I received a number of half off coupons for Cafe Press and have ordered DS several shirts with cute homeschool sayings on them. I swear when we are out and about when school resumes he is going to have to wear one of those shirts. Instead of 'talk to the hand', it's going to be 'read the shirt'!:lol:

It sounds from the responses this is a really common situation that happens to the home school families, and it isn't going to stop. So I guess if it were me, I'd try to find a way to turn it into a good thing.

Is there a way you can re-frame your thoughts for your own sake?

Maybe every time it comes up, look at it as an opportunity to display gracious response in front of your children or count your blessings?

This way, a re-framing, can provide you with strength and gratitude and cause you to be thankful.

For myself, personally; I would never ask something so personal of a stranger or make it my business, one never knows the situations behind lives at the moment. I recognize such a statement as bad manners.

But I would encourage you to think of a way to turn it into a positive moment if you can.