Menu

FIAR-which one is the best?

For a 3yr old, I would go with Before FIAR. The stories are shorter, it's not really lessons like the other volumes but a good prep to more formal learning later. FIAR vol1 has some shorter stories that a 3yr old would enjoy; Madeline, How to Make an Apple Pie, but others such as Grandfather's Journey or The Rag Coat have a storyline that a 3yr old either wouldn't get, or would find upsetting IMO (war, death of a parent)

I bought BFIAR and FIAR for my 2 and 4 year olds. There is not much in BFIAR except the selections of books are nice. My boys liked Jessie Bear and some of the activities. My big complaint is that you then have to take time to go to other websites to get the activities and/or pay additional money for more activities. I would not recommend BFIAR unless you have lots of time to go research more activities to do.

I just bought the book "What Your Preschooler Needs to Know" along with the two activity books (one for ages 3-4 and one for 4-5). I really like these books because you can read a poem and look at art in the book and then do a project in the activity book. Or read a story about Goldilocks, then they have stickers and cardstock activities to do that you get from the back of the activity book. It covers art, science, social studies, and language arts.

My big complaint is that you then have to take time to go to other websites to get the activities and/or pay additional money for more activities. I would not recommend BFIAR unless you have lots of time to go research more activities to do.

Have you checked out the BFIAR section at Homeschoolshare? TONS of ideas for each of the books in BFIAR and it's all free! That's all we've used, along with the actual BFIAR book, and It's been plenty for the toddler stage.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Joyfulmom6

I used BFIAR with my 3 and 5 yr. old girls this year. They loved it and I also found alot of cute activities on Homeschool Share. Whatever you choose I hope that you enjoy this special season with your little one.:)