Menu

Okay, I spoke too soon....what did y'all decide?

Okay, I spoke too soon. Up until now, I didn't worry about neighbor dogs in my yard. Usually it was just one little Boston Terrier, occasionally the little "benji" dog across the street.

But....

In December, my next door neighbor's wife died. I was friends with her and didn't handle the death well (and still am just not). Anyway, her 19yo daughter and her best friend moved in after the death. I felt sorry for her but that is another story.

Anyway, the best friend, several weeks ago, bought a little puppy. He was the most awkward looking little thing on earth, cute as all get out. He came over a couple times but left quickly and we didn't worry about it.

Now he's bigger and just puppy trouble. He ate the cat's food. He drank water from my plants. He comes up to the porch and such driving my dogs nuts (and my male is really an alpha dog kinda dog and would like a chance at him which is kinda a problem as this dog will be 4 times as big eventually).

My hubby and the guy next door work at the same company (but never see each other). I hate the idea of causing any friction.

But I can't stand that dog coming over here! I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does!

One time, the girls came over to get him and said something about how he runs off and I suggested a 25-30 foot tie out for his potty times (they sit on the front porch). That is what we use with our dogs (something else that may be problematic eventually if they don't get control over this puppy).

I keep hoping that now that it's been several months maybe the girls will move out on their own again or something, but I kinda doubt it.

I just don't want that dog over here! But I don't want things to go poorly either.

And a fence would only solve part of the problem. In my section of the neighborhood, we're not allowed front fences and I have a half acre up front.

Okay, mostly this was venting. Anyone have any great ideas? :bigear:

The polite truth.

I don't believe it's making trouble or causing problems to just say, "I really need to ask you to keep the puppy of our yard. I don't want him here. It's upsetting to my dogs."

You can say that SOOOOO nicely and even a little apologetically, and even though it might make her experience a negative feeling, if your other interactions are pleasant enough, she will get over it.

Yeah, I know, but I'm one of those people who aren't very confident in real life and I super-hate any sort of confrontation.

I told my son that if he got the puppy to go back to the girls (he didn't) to "apologize" that he got into the cat food which might make his tummy upset.

I thought if they know it really is a bit of a bother and their dog is eating our cat's food (up on our back porch) and I even suggested a LONG tie-out.....I guess I thought they'd get it without me having to be really direct, even if done sugary sweet, even a little apologetically....Obviously it hasn't worked yet.

He's a cute little bugger. Chocolate pitbull, full bred. BEAUTIFUL. But he'd be a lot cuter in his own yard!

I don't know our county laws. I guess I could look them up. I can't imagine they really do anything out here though. It's not like Harris or Dallas counties. But at least if I found out I'd know I'd have an option if it came down to it (hopefully it doesn't, but my male is mighty angry and being a little pipsqueak is just going to make the problem bigger later on).

Well, I think this is a GREAT nudge and opportunity for you to 'grow a bit more backbone' and set a good example for your kids, in how NOT to be a push-over, and how to gently but firmly set some boundaries with your neighbors. It's very apparent that subtlety is NOT their cuppa- they just Ain't gonna 'get it', OR they are completely ignoring you. You need to be blunt, but not "rude". KWIM?

You definitely want to nip this in the bud now before he gets too comfy eating on your porch. He may not take it kindly someday to finding your cat eating "his" food. He may not take it kindly someday when your dog decides enough is enough regarding the trespassing. Then, you are out a cat/dog or have a big vet bill (try asking them to pay that for you!), and you will be very sorry you didn't deal with this now. Go. Do it. Firmly.

Just kidding:)

I hate confrontation too.

BUt sometimes I think people avoid the really simple solution of saying, "hey, this is bugging me, could you cut that out?" and choose solutions that are far far more damaging to relationships. Other people will tell you to call animal control, have your lawyer write a letter, get a BB gun. It's like the anger just builds and builds and then suddenly it feels too late to just say, "Dude, help me out here," because the neighbor really should know better. And they should. But apparently they don't.

I think that being polite and respectful but direct is *good* for relationships (marriages, parent/child, friends). It reduces conflict and allows people to get back to the business of loving each other.

sometimes I think people avoid the really simple solution

Yeah, and it'd be much easier to tell the girls now instead of if there turns out to be a crisis. THAT won't be simple at all.....well and I certainly don't want that to happen. It would be terrible if something happened to their dog or one of my pets or whatever. Really, even them having more of a potty training issue because they don't know he's getting an extra 2 cups of food is an issue (for them). So it's kind to me and them :)

Yeah, and it'd be much easier to tell the girls now instead of if there turns out to be a crisis. THAT won't be simple at all.....well and I certainly don't want that to happen. It would be terrible if something happened to their dog or one of my pets or whatever. Really, even them having more of a potty training issue because they don't know he's getting an extra 2 cups of food is an issue (for them). So it's kind to me and them :)

um... for you too, dear. Where the dog goes sooner or later he will poop. You will quickly get sick of cleaning up after another person's pet, having your kids come in after playing covered with "it", buying new sand for the sandbox only to have it "ruined" again, etc., (ask me how I know :banghead:)