Menu

Non CC Paypal??

I am sure this question is on here somewhere but...

I see some sellers stating that they prefer "non cc paypal".

Is that where you send money through pp using the "personal" option vs the "purchase" option so you, the buyer, have to pay the fees instead of the seller paying the fees?

Thx!

If you're buying something from someone you don't know, you probably want the extra protection of sending the money as a good purchase (can't remember exactly what they call it) rather than the personal option. The seller is trying to avoid the fee, but you need the "insurance" of using the other option. You could take a look at the fees table and estimate how much extra to send if you would like to send them the amount of the fee as well.

I don't think either party pays fees under the personal option.

ETA: it's the PayPal Purchase Protection. If you send money via personal, you will not be protected if your item does not arrive.

Edited by gardening momma

If you're buying something from someone you don't know, you probably want the extra protection of sending the money as a good purchase (can't remember exactly what they call it) rather than the personal option. The seller is trying to avoid the fee, but you need the "insurance" of using the other option. You could take a look at the fees table and estimate how much extra to send if you would like to send them the amount of the fee as well.

I don't think either party pays fees under the personal option.

ETA: it's the PayPal Purchase Protection. If you send money via personal, you will not be protected if your item does not arrive.

Someone recently purchased something from me using the "personal" option just to be nice and she told me she was charged the feees. I think this is new. Paypal keeps changing the rules.

Lisa

I am sure this question is on here somewhere but...

I see some sellers stating that they prefer "non cc paypal".

Is that where you send money through pp using the "personal" option vs the "purchase" option so you, the buyer, have to pay the fees instead of the seller paying the fees?

Thx!

No, that is where you pay using money directly from your Paypal account rather than using Paypal to pay with a credit card. It used to be that there would be no fees charged if the seller was paid that way, but that has changed. There are fees now even if you pay with non-cc paypal and I'm not sure even sure they are less than if you use it to pay with a cc.

Lisa

The fees are now the same whether the person pays with a bank account, Pay Pal funds, or a credit card. However, a personal account can only accept so many credit card payments in a certain time period before they are forced to upgrade the account. So some may still need to limit how many cc transactions they accept.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside - you don't have to be logged in to read this. They've simplied the whole mess.

But basically, if you PURCHASE something, regardless of how you pay for it, the BUYER doesn't have any fees. The SELLER loses about 2.9% +30c on the transaction.

If you instead use the PERSONAL TRANSFER option (which is handy if you're sending money to family, or paying a debt or something), then there are two options:

if the money sent is via bank balance or paypal balance (like when someone pays you, and now you have funds sitting in your PP account) there are NO FEES.

if the money is sent via credit or debit card, there are fees (2.9% +30c). the SENDER can decide to pay that himself or pass that cost along to the RECEIVER. So, if I wanted to send $300 to someone else, the fee would be $9.00 (2.9%= $8.70 + 30c = $9.00). If I want to be sure the person on the other end gets the full $300, I would say that I want to pay those fees and Paypal would charge my credit card for $309 (rather than just $300). If I want those fees passed on to the recipient, then my credit card would be charged $300, paypal would take out its $9, and my recipient would receive $291.