Menu

Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test Scores

I would like some reassurance if I am doing the right thing and advice if I am doing the wrong thing:tongue_smilie:

These are ds8's math scores. Norms used are grade 3.08. He was in the third grade eight month.

Math Calc Skills- Grade equivalent 5.00; Percentile Rank 85; Standard Score 116; Stanine 7

Math Reasoning-Grade Equivalent 5.04; Percentile Rank 82; Standard Score 114; Stanine 7

Broad Math Grade Equivalent 5.01; Percentile Rank 87; Standard Score 117; Stanine 7.

At the time of the test we had just finished Math Mammoth 3A. I had prepared myself for his scores to be a little below average because of this. We are doing 3B over the summer and I am hopeful we will be "caught up" and ready for 4th grade math by September or so. But I am worried that I am holding him back. It is part of the reason I wanted to give the test b/c I feel like I am so worried about him not getting a firm foundation that I might hold him back. He does not whine that it is too easy or too hard......we read over it, he does it, yk? He rarely misses any but sometimes he does. It seems like his skills are high but I know there are certain things he does not know how to do b/c he has not been introduced to them.

So- am I right to just keep trudging through it? Do I maybe skip ahead a bit- i have the entire light blue series. Do I change curriculum? (this i !!!really!!! do not want to do..lol...I just bought MM). Prior to MM we did Miquon and the plan was to finish that at some point too. WE still have the last book and a half to do. I am not sure if that is what has made his scores kinda wonky? I mean i know it is not wonky but, higher than I would have expected for someone on MM 3A. :lol: But we could finish those and then jump into MM on some other level?

I know I do not spend enough time on math during the school year. How much time do you spend on math for your non math loving child? We usually do a couple pages of MM b/c after that I can see his eyes glaze over. DO you have a math block or mix it up? I am thinking maybe a lesson plus a right start game-or other- daily might be nice. He does like math games. It is always the plan to do that but something happens..........:tongue_smilie:

Thank you for any insight or advice, BTDT, or just what you would do. I am feeling like fourth grade is more big time :lol: so it is making me anxious.

If your ds is happy and contented with MM, I would continue. Those are decent scores (he's better than 85% or so of kids his age). Don't let the numbers on MM fool you- many kids who finish MM 6B are ready for prealgebra, so her scope/sequence is ambitious. My ds has always made high As in BJU Math, placed a grade ahead on the Teaching Textbooks placement test (I know, it's behind), and would have had to start a grade behind had we gone with MM. I believe the most important thing about math curriculum is choosing a program both you and your child can use comfortably and then continuing with forward progress.

I think those scores are nothing to be worried about, especially for a non-math loving kid. If you want to improve them, slow and steady wins the race. :001_smile: You can only meet your ds where he is at. Skipping ahead in the curriculum does not mean he will be mentally coming along. I would just be consistent. Do math every day. Make it a priority.

JMO,

Joy

It looks to me that is just about exactly where I would want a kid to be with a subject that isn't necessarily their favorite. If they were too high, too low, or if he was showing boredom or frustration then you may want to see about changing your speed or curriculum. But for him to test about 1 level above grade level, better than 85% of his peers, and have no complaints or real struggles with the work seems perfect. Now, if he were a super-mathy kid, or was too bored or complaining with it, then you may want to go faster or get something more challenging.

:001_smile:

I'm confused. He is scoring above average. His percentiles are in the 80s. What is causing you to say they are below average? Am I missing something that is going to make me feel stupid when y'all explain it to me? :tongue_smilie:

I was wondering the same thing. This is an 8 yo who scored very well from the way I interpreted it. :001_huh:

The testing thing always confuses me though. Do the scores mean he understands 3rd grade math as well as a 5th grader, or that he scored at a 5th grade level? Or something else?

I'm sure glad we don't have to test.

I'm confused. He is scoring above average. His percentiles are in the 80s. What is causing you to say they are below average? Am I missing something that is going to make me feel stupid when y'all explain it to me? :tongue_smilie:

I thought he would be a little below average because of where we were in MM- not becasue of his abilitiles or anything-but he actually tested a little above so then I was worried I was not challenging him enough. :tongue_smilie: but the consensus seems to be nope and I need to :chillpill:

Does that make sense?

I was wondering the same thing. This is an 8 yo who scored very well from the way I interpreted it. :001_huh:

The testing thing always confuses me though. Do the scores mean he understands 3rd grade math as well as a 5th grader, or that he scored at a 5th grade level? Or something else?

I think the grade levels throw me too. WHy not just put percentiles? Then I can see the 85 percent and feel good. Seeing 5th grade makes me worry:lol:

I thought he would be a little below average because of where we were in MM- not becasue of his abilitiles or anything-but he actually tested a little above so then I was worried I was not challenging him enough. :tongue_smilie: but the consensus seems to be nope and I need to :chillpill:

Does that make sense?

Oooooh. You said you were prepared for his scores to be below average. Ugh. I need to not multitask when I am reading. Then everyone came in and said they look good for a kid who doesn't love math and that bolstered misunderstanding. I get it now. You taught him well. Pat yourself on the back. :)

Does that make sense?

My dd just finished MM 4B at the end of grade 5. I have her a Saxon placement test and she tested solidly into 76. She was 3 problems away from 87. I considered switching to Saxon so she'd be in a program that was at grade level.

Later (thankfully before I made the purchase), I realized it would be ridiculous to switch AWAY from a program that is apparently ahead of the curve, and has her working well at her level. (Duh! lol!)

Also, as much as she complains about math she does not want to switch either.

What does the grade levels mean?:iagree:

The grade level score on the WJ means this third grade student scored on this test the way an average 5th grader would. It does NOT mean he is capable of completing 5th grade math (placement tests, not achievement tests answer that question).

>>> I mean i know it is not wonky but, higher than I would have expected for someone on MM 3A.

You're going with the assumption that all of the tested children are at the same level, competently completing whatever might be construed as 3rd grade math. But that's a false assumption.

"Average" is the middle of ALL children his age tested with this test. You're hsing him, one on one, and he doesn't have any disabilities or other reasons to be low scoring. I would certainly expect a child in this situation to be scoring above average, particularly at this age. "Average" would be a red flag to me under these circumstances.

While your ds has scored "above average," it's not the same as if he scored in the 99th percentile. That might indicate the work is too easy, but even then, not necessarily.

It's far more important to keep your child at the appropriate level (ending 3A, for example) than considering him "behind." Curriculum "grade" levels are arbitrary; some curriculum will be "ahead," and others may not yet cover the same concepts. Go with your instinct, and continue with the pace he's set.

And don't worry, 4th grade is not "more big time"! It's just a continuation and gradual progression of what you've already been doing, no matter what the subject!

The grade level score on the WJ means this third grade student scored on this test the way an average 5th grader would. It does NOT mean he is capable of completing 5th grade math (placement tests, not achievement tests answer that question).

Got it! Thank you!

>>> I mean i know it is not wonky but, higher than I would have expected for someone on MM 3A.

You're going with the assumption that all of the tested children are at the same level, competently completing whatever might be construed as 3rd grade math. But that's a false assumption.

"Average" is the middle of ALL children his age tested with this test. You're hsing him, one on one, and he doesn't have any disabilities or other reasons to be low scoring. I would certainly expect a child in this situation to be scoring above average, particularly at this age. "Average" would be a red flag to me under these circumstances.

While your ds has scored "above average," it's not the same as if he scored in the 99th percentile. That might indicate the work is too easy, but even then, not necessarily.

It's far more important to keep your child at the appropriate level (ending 3A, for example) than considering him "behind." Curriculum "grade" levels are arbitrary; some curriculum will be "ahead," and others may not yet cover the same concepts. Go with your instinct, and continue with the pace he's set.

And don't worry, 4th grade is not "more big time"! It's just a continuation and gradual progression of what you've already been doing, no matter what the subject!

What you say makes a lot of sense! We need a little dude with a light bulb smilie! There have been quite a few times where he has had an off day so I put the math away and re-teach it the next. Something that just is not possible in a classroom setting. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about hsing:lol:

I am glad I posted :D I feel much better about my plan. Thank you all! I did not change anything :tongue_smilie: but now I feel confident in our direction!