Menu

found fledgling on ground with flies swarming

What to do.

1st - I do not want a dead bird in my front yard, and it is going to die.

2nd - I cannot bring myself to put it out of its misery.

3rd - I am all icked out about it.

I moved it to a box [per my sil who deals with this kind of thing more frequently] and am trying to get the courage to just close it up and put it in a shed or someplace where it will die in peace.

So, what would you do?

You can chose to let it die slowly and miserably or you can put it out of it's misery. My Mama used to flush them b/c she thought it was the quickest and least painful. Sound hard... but letting it starve, dehydrate and wither isn't any better.

I had to put a rabbit & a little bird out of their suffering before. I did it & then cried. But they couldn't lay there and suffer & I couldn't save them.

He is already in a box removed from the flies. My dh, manly, man that he is, said he would take care of it for me.

I definitely would not survive in another time and place. :tongue_smilie:

Oh and dd, 12, says, "So dad is going to murder him then?" :001_huh:

we had a baby bird in our driveway that was crawling with ants. when i tried to move it (so the boys wouldn't see it) it started moving. i didn't know what to do. i knocked off as many of the ants as possible and put it in the shade since it seemed to have some life left in it. when we came back it was dead. it was so awful. i probably should have put it out of its misery but was too much of a coward. :grouphug: those are tough.

When you guys say flushing do you mean down the toilet? Please forgive this ignorant girl from suburbia.

DON'T flush it. My dh did that to a mouse once... and it got stuck... so he had to dig it out of there and watch it drowning. Really awful.

What to do.

So, what would you do?

This is going to sound HORRIBLE to you (just based on reading your post), but I would get a shovel and cut off its head at the neck. One swift chop and it is done. I raise chickens, and I have had to do this several times when we had day old babies that were suffering. It seems horrific (and, it kind of IS), but it is so much kinder than letting it suffer and die.

Sorry. :grouphug:

We had one on my car today. It looked OK this afternoon, though it was looking unsure about flying away. We left it alone, as it was safe on the car and we didn't want to interfere if mom was nearby and able to help. A little while later it was looking rough. We gave it water (dropped on its beak, drop by drop) and food (I don't know if it ate any) and shade. This evening, it had died. So sad.