Menu

If you've used Memoria Press K

extrafor6

Honestly, I don't think so. There is only one art and one song recommendation each week, and you have to dig up the picture and song yourself, they are not included. If I was looking for music/art recommendations I would just use the free Ambleside Online recs.

As for recitation, all the selections and much more are in the book Living Memory, so I would go for that over the full MP K manual. The meat of the MP K program is the language arts work, including First Start Reading, Word Mastery, SRA phonics, and Copybook. If you don't plan on doing those, I don't think it would be worth it to purchase the lesson plans.

For art, check out the Core Knowledge art cards. They have great discussion questions on the back that really help the kids understand WHAT makes each picture important.

For recitation, get Living Memory or else the Classical Conversations Foundations Guide.

I used MP K this past year for art, music, recitation, copybook, read-alouds and the math (through R&S Lesson 13). We also did some of the social studies, science, and crafts as we felt like it. I was doing all this in addition to HOD, so it was a supplement for us. I liked the guide for a couple of reasons. When I have a schedule, I get things done. When I don't, somehow I never get around to them, even with the best of intentions. We got all the art and music appreciation done this year. The guide has a nice set of questions for both that really helps you probe the pieces. I was really grateful that we got art and music appreciation done this year, and with a nice variety of works. My daughter learned a lot. We did have to look things up online or in art books, but it wasn't too much of a hassle. The recitation was really helpful, too, especially having a schedule for that. It got done. Same with the read-aloud list and the copybook. So I guess what I'm saying is, if having a schedule helps you get things done, it is worth it for that in my mind. I did buy the 1st grade guide to use this coming year. I plan to do the art, music, recitation, Storytime Treasures, the SRA phonics book, and some of the read-alouds. The next year will have a schedule for Latin, so I'll probably get that one, too. I just do better with schedules and someone else figuring out what topics/content should be on them! :001_smile:

Kathy

For art, check out the Core Knowledge art cards. They have great discussion questions on the back that really help the kids understand WHAT makes each picture important.

For recitation, get Living Memory or else the Classical Conversations Foundations Guide.

The art cards sound good, but I couldn't find them on the website. Can you link it?

Thanks!

The art cards sound good' date=' but I couldn't find them on the website. Can you link it?

Thanks![/quote']

http://books.coreknowledge.org/product.php?productid=16191&cat=342&page=1

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these cards!!! I am NOT artsy at all (I was a CPA in my pre-mom life!), but they make art appreciation so easy!! And actually interesting, which I would never have believed was possible! These are the kindergarten ones, but they have a set for every grade.

Thanks for the link....I had gone to the store, but somehow missed them!

They ARE expensive. I was looking at the K set and it says that it includes "all of the artworks mentioned in the visual arts section for the grade in question". How many is that? Approx? It seems a lot more reasonably priced if there's 25.....but if there are only 10.....that seems crazy expensive!

Having the schedule in the guide was great for the recitation...we were able to do that part. But I wasn't able to do the music and art since I had to go and find the resources myself, and I just never found time to do it, unfortunately. I started mid-year, though, and never really had a chance to try and find all the resources. If they could print the art on cards and put the music on a CD, it would be fantastic!! I like the idea of leaving the art print around the house, and that's not really possible if you're just looking at it on a computer screen.

I'm not really interested in those core knowledge art prints, though. I have the books with the pictures in them, and I find the art they chose to be really dull and unattractive...but I don't care very much for modern art.

T'smom - it says on the link for the K cards that there are about 20 cards per packet. However, there are only 15 listed for the K cards.

If we do decide to use MP K for art/music/etc, I plan to find the art selections over the summer and print them out so they're all ready for the year. Same for the music.