Menu

is this related to some new drug trend...

ds has left for ROTC camp. He's 16 and his room is disgusting. So I am cleaning it. The problem with ds's room is an issue is not the issue I'm concerned about with this question.

Amongst all the debris I'm finding a lot of tea bags. Most are still in sealed envelopes. The sealed ones are green tea. I can't tell the ones that are just the bags. I have no idea why he would have all these random bags of tea. None of this is loose tea, which I am aware could be easily be something else. The only logical explanation I have is that one of the coaches he works out with has talked about it and so ds got interested in it, took a bunch of mine (I drink gallons of hot green tea during cool weather months). And because he is messy just dropped it all over his room.

Am I weird to wonder am I just not aware of so new intoxication trend. ds has never given us a reason to be concerned about that. But I don't want to be one of those parents who is blindsided. I tried googling and couldn't find anything and I asked someone IRL but she didn't know anything either.

OK the more I write the more I think this looks stupid. It would truly shock me if this was a behavior I really needed to worry about from my ds and he has very little time where I can't account for exactly what he's doing. But it's just such a weird thing to find amongst layers of dirty socks, school papers, candy wrappers and music. And there's so much weird crap now (bath salts, pot pourri, and the veterinary deworming drug). It seems like people are turning anything into a high. I work part time at an alternative high school and this is not something I've heard of at all, so I think I'm coming up with this because I am really annoyed at the chore I've taken on and annoyed that ds would let his room get to the condition it is in.

Now, I think what I've written is really stupid. Can anyone reassure me?

Amongst all the debris I'm finding a lot of tea bags. Most are still in sealed envelopes. The sealed ones are green tea.

Now, I think what I've written is really stupid. Can anyone reassure me?

Sealed green tea bags would not worry me. "Bath salts" don't come in tea bags out here.

I wouldn't worry.

I'm not really into the drug scene Betty, but what the heck could you do with TEA? It's got to be because he heard/read that it's healthy somewhere...

I dunno. I figured if I was missing something, someone here would know. Maybe being a mother of a disorganized teen has just caused me to be missing some of my own brain. I feel better ya'll don't see anything wrong with the tea.

I don't know anything about this at all, but I just wanted to say what a good mother you are for noticing something out of the ordinary and trying to get some information on it. My kiddos are still very young, but I will always be on the lookout for something that doesn't "add up." Your a smart momma!!! Even though I think this particular thing is not a big issue.

I've never heard of tea being used for anything....but that doesn't mean much because I'm not really "up" on my drug uses. But even if it is nothing, it's great that you are looking into it. You can never be too protective and proactive when it comes to your kids.

My dh's (helpful?? or not :) ) comment was that maybe he was selling it as pot. Not likely, though.

I have a 16 year old at home :glare: and I am not at all surprised as to what you found in yours room, LOL. So, if your instincts say nothing is going on than it probably isn't.