Menu

Please help me, I need to refinish my dining table...

My dining room set is "distressed". I mean we bought it that way, so it is supposed to look distressed. But now the table top is truly distressed. The finish on the top has gotten "gummy" and gross. I want to strip ONLY the top of the table and put a new finish on it.

Can I take the varnish layer off without removing the stain? I don't want to change the color. Can I do this without moving my table to the garage if I lay down tarps and open windows and I am very, very careful? What products would be best to buy?

I just want to remove the gummy layer and put a new layer of varnish stuff on top.

I tried googling already, but all the sites I found were for hardcore antique refinishing where you have to get down to the bare wood. That is more than I need to do here.

My dining room set is "distressed". I mean we bought it that way, so it is supposed to look distressed. But now the table top is truly distressed. The finish on the top has gotten "gummy" and gross. I want to strip ONLY the top of the table and put a new finish on it.

Can I take the varnish layer off without removing the stain? I don't want to change the color. Can I do this without moving my table to the garage if I lay down tarps and open windows and I am very, very careful? What products would be best to buy?

I just want to remove the gummy layer and put a new layer of varnish stuff on top.

I tried googling already, but all the sites I found were for hardcore antique refinishing where you have to get down to the bare wood. That is more than I need to do here.

Interesting! You've got the Attic Heirlooms table by Broyhill, right? If not--ignore the rest of this post :). Our table has gotten gummy (and a few of the boys have scraped some of the gum off by their seats), and I've secretly blamed dh because he once oiled the table. Now I'll have to secretly repent ;) because it sounds like it might be an issue with the finish.

Interesting! You've got the Attic Heirlooms table by Broyhill, right? If not--ignore the rest of this post :). Our table has gotten gummy (and a few of the boys have scraped some of the gum off by their seats), and I've secretly blamed dh because he once oiled the table. Now I'll have to secretly repent ;) because it sounds like it might be an issue with the finish.

Yes, I have the same set. It is only the table top. I secretly blamed myself for putting my laptop on the table, thinking the heat was doing it. I know if I set a hot coffee cup on the table the area under it gets gummy.

I don't know of a way to truly remove the clear finish without taking at least some of the stain off, but it's really not a big deal to stain it again. Before you strip it, take a leaf or chair or something in to a paint store like Sherwin Williams. They can mix stain to match your color. If you can find a place underneath somewhere that doesn't have clear finish over the stain, that would be best.

You'll probably want to do the sides of the table top, too, because it will be nearly impossible not to get finish on the sides when you're doing the top. You want a smooth transition from the top to the sides. If you try to tape it off or something, you'll get a rough edge that would bug your forearms, and just look bad.

I'm pretty sure there are less toxic stripper gels you can use, so you don't have to take it outside. Check out Lowe's or Home Depot, or your local Unpainted furniture store. There's still scraping involved, and it's messy, and it will likely remove some of the stain. You could just get an electric sander (a palm sander, not a belt sander), and remove it that way. Pretty messy, still. Wear a mask.

As for the finish, you can choose varnish, polyurethane, or acrylic. Varnish isn't as water resistant as polyurethane. Both have a slightly yellow tint to them, and are oil based, so they require turpentine or mineral spirits for clean up. And, they require lots of ventilation. Acrylic is crystal clear, and it's water based, so you clean up with soap and water. And, it doesn't have a strong odor, so it's great for using in the house. It's not quite as durable as poly, but it's more durable than varnish. I would recommend 3-5 coats of acrylic.

Have you finished a table top before? It's hard to get such a large surface smooth. You have to work really fast to keep a wet edge, and you must resist the urge to go over your work. Even 30 seconds of dry time will dry enough that if you run your applicator over it, it will leave marks. I'd recommend using a flat foam pad (with little tiny bristles), at least 5-6 inches wide. They come with a special paint tray that has a roller in it. I like working with acrylic because it goes on milky (so you can see where you've been), but dries completely clear. Practice first on a bare board, so you can get a feel for the applicator, and the finish, and the dry time.

Oh, if you want to use acrylic, you'll need to use a water based stain. They're very nice because they're thick, almost like a gel. And, you can control the color better because they don't seal the wood. Each coat of stain will make the wood darker (not true with regular oil-based stains). It will raise the grain a little bit (like little hairs sticking up), but just leave it that way until after the first coat of acrylic, then sand it smooth with Very Fine sandpaper. Subsequent coats of acrylic will make it completely smooth.

This is either stuff you already know, or way too much information. I've done a lot of finishing/refinishing, but I can't tell from your post how experienced you are. Please forgive me if I've talked too much. I hope something here is helpful.

I would just use a good degreaser, sand a little and put another coat of polyurethane on the top. I just bought an old beat up table and painted it. Just make sure you allow PLENTY of time for the poly to dry, otherwise you end up with fingerprints and footprints all over it. ( Ask me how I know :001_huh:)

Yep. I've looked around at that same table (oh, I would love it) and found this...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg0411145025497.html

Boo on Broyhill if they don't help you folks out....

K

Kelli,

I've used this product before, and it worked well. It is a bit like nail polish remover -- in that it takes off the top layer (and all the shine) w/o stripping the color or stain. After you remove the top layer(s) with one part of the product kit, you put on a new acrylic/shiny layer with a second product. I'd try it before you do anything more drastic.

http://www.formbys.com/products/face_lift.cfm

Formby's® Furniture Face Lift™ Kit

HIH,

Lisa

Yep. I've looked around at that same table (oh' date=' I would love it) and found this...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg0411145025497.html

Boo on Broyhill if they don't help you folks out....

K[/quote']

Wow. Mine is out of warranty, too. But I am just amazed at how many people have gummy table tops like mine. I wonder what went wrong with the Attic Heirloom line?

Kelli,

I've used this product before, and it worked well. It is a bit like nail polish remover -- in that it takes off the top layer (and all the shine) w/o stripping the color or stain. After you remove the top layer(s) with one part of the product kit, you put on a new acrylic/shiny layer with a second product. I'd try it before you do anything more drastic.

http://www.formbys.com/products/face_lift.cfm

Formby's® Furniture Face Lift™ Kit

HIH,

Lisa

Can I use this indoors? I really don't want to have to clean out a side of my husband's junkpile....er.....garage to make room for this. I would prefer to throw tarps on the dining room floor and start stripping. The table, that is.

Do you have to sand with this product? I am not crazy about sanding in my dining room. I am not liking the idea of cleaning sawdust out of every nook and cranny of my house!

Wow. Mine is out of warranty, too. But I am just amazed at how many people have gummy table tops like mine. I wonder what went wrong with the Attic Heirloom line?

I don't know. Our leaves still look good, and last August we bought the coffee & end tables in the set and they are good. Do you have the rectangular leg table with the leaves that slide in the end?

I don't know. Our leaves still look good, and last August we bought the coffee & end tables in the set and they are good. Do you have the rectangular leg table with the leaves that slide in the end?

Yes. I have that table, the big chairs with padded seats, the library cabinet and the smaller china cabinet. Everything looks great except the table top and the fabric on the chairs. I expected to replace the fabric on the chairs but I am not pleased with the table top situation. And like you, the leaves are fine. We no longer keep them on the table, as our nest has emptied by two, but when we bought the set we still had six kids at home. So the leaves took a beating like the rest of the set and they look fine.

Yes. I have that table, the big chairs with padded seats, the library cabinet and the smaller china cabinet. Everything looks great except the table top and the fabric on the chairs. I expected to replace the fabric on the chairs but I am not pleased with the table top situation. And like you, the leaves are fine. We no longer keep them on the table, as our nest has emptied by two, but when we bought the set we still had six kids at home. So the leaves took a beating like the rest of the set and they look fine.

I think I might call Broyhill tomorrow. We bought ours Dec 2005/January 2006 time frame, so it's only about 2 years old. It seems they do have an issue on their hands.

While I've been secretly blaming dh, he's been irritated at the boys for picking at the table. It seems we should both direct our annoyance toward Broyhill :glare:.

I *might* use it indoors if I could have all the windows and doors open, the kids were outside and there was a fan in the room. It's not outrageously stinky, but it *is* a chemical, so I'd err on the side of caution.

When I used it on our DR table, I didn't sand at all. It's very much like removing fingernail polish. If it works as well for you as it did for us, you won't need to sand.

HIH,

Lisa

• 9 months later...
Guest NursJackie

I was amazed to see some of you have the exact same table I have..The Attic Heirloom dining table (in eggshell white) by Broyhill.

I am also dealing with the "gummy" top, which is ugly to look at and deal with when we are eating dinner or I have friends and family over. I wanted to get a new table but I have all the coordinating pieces that came with this table and would be too expensive right now to replace it all.

I'm not an expert at all when it comes to painting or refinishing anything!!

I decided to purchase the Formbys Furniture Face Lift and see how it works. My children have done art projects on this same table, and I thought the gumminess was from their art supplies or maybe from cleaning products I've used, but I now believe it is from the manufacturer..

Thanks for all your good information!! Wish me luck :)

It's so depressing to use fabric tablecloths all the time to try and hide my table top..grr