Menu

math that is not spiral

pjssully

hi-I am looking for a math program for my very bright 9 year old boy. He does not like the spiral approach. We have tried Teaching TExtbooks, which he hated, and singapore. He was at 4A in singapore and really catches on fast. any good suggestions?

pam

Math Mammoth or Singapore, and I would not be afraid to accelerate through lessons as needed. In other words, when he gets it, move on. Definitely continue to review occasionally and check understanding, but there's not necessarily any need to belabor things for bright students who catch on quickly. You have to tailor your pace to your student. Different students need different amounts of practice problems.

I've been having trouble deciding for my own ds. I've been using MM, but I'm trying SM this summer because I thought it would leap through concepts a little quicker, for lack of a better description. I mean, my student is such that I still have the same issue I was having, with either currriculum. So far, on balance I'm finding that I prefer the MM, though I haven't quite given SM a fair shake yet. Other strengths of SM include the IP books (from what we've been discussing in other threads; I don't have them yet) and the Challenging Word Problems. I plan to order these, to see whether I'd like to supplement our MM with these books. But generally, I'm comfortable with MM as our spine. We will do more SM, though we went back to MM today because I want to make sure I've wrapped up any necessary skills/concepts during the summer, so he can start fresh with the next level in the fall. (Note, I do not assign all problems in MM.)

All this to say that it's worth checking out Math Mammoth, and if you stick with Singapore, which also a good idea, it seems wise to add the IP and/or CWP books for your type of student.

I recently did a poll on the accelerated learner board that might be helpful to you: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283309